BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
Hi all, I decided to post here and split off the new member thread I started.
Quick recap. Puppy 1 Vader is now 17 weeks old and growing.. Puppy 2 Reya is 13 weeks and growing as well.
Vader is still playing a little rough, but not excessive, Reya is playing just as rough, but since she is smaller, she is always jumping up at him and nipping his face. Poor Vader is starting to look like he is playing with a blender. They get along pretty well other than him getting marked up. To be fair, he does have a tendency to grab her and drag here a little to play where he wants to and the dry humping thing as well. He doesn't bark during play unless she snags his face a bit.. She is barking and nipping most to the time. And they take turns bothering each other, so its not one sided.

Reya has this peeing and pooping issue, she will poop or pee without warning.. This is driving me a bit nuts as Vader has just about house trained the first week. She will poop and not think anything about it. She has always been a pee'er but now we seem to be pooing as well. Outside she will do her dance and look for the perfect spot, inside just will stop and do whatever without really any warning.

Main question, is she going to stop this nipping at his face as she gets bigger or is it going to continue and does anyone have any suggestions on how to train her not to bit at his jowls. I am working on him playing a bit softer and seems to be working a bit..
Picture of them in the day run and it was yesterday. She got him good in the face last week and again this morning.
MY CAMERA 20160319_184109.jpeg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
This is normal puppy play. When they get too rough, or she bites at his face or neck, just stop the play and give a time out. she will eventually out grow this. about the potty training, some take longer than others, just be patient and persistent.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When ever puppies play,they usually have to go. As soon as they have been playing for a little while,run her outside to go. When she goes,give her a little treat,and make a happy deal out of it. [MENTION=15586]BREWBADGER[/MENTION]

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree… my puppy Willow is constantly nipping on Walter's jowls. I try NOT to get involved, and let Walter handle it himself… YES this faze will end, and hopefully the potty training will kick in.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with the others... this is all typical puppy play and when the shark teeth are gone(around 6 months), the fold/face scratching will stop... noit so much as going for it, but there will not be the level of cuts you see now.

As for potty... as soon as they seem to be slowing down on playing... get them out for potty... puppies always have to go when done playing or about 20 mins after eating then of course, just as they wake up form sleeping.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
very typical play. Brutus always tried to hang off his puppy sisters face! He was just told no and removed for a few minutes.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Rosie is now moving to 9 months old a wonderful little bully female and we got her at 8 weeks old , she now gets thru the night without using the puppy pads but must go out strait away upon awakening , we still get the odd poop in house but she also now wants to be like the big dogs I find and holds it and goes to the sliding door and let Me know she wants out to do her poop , now thats at 9 months for Rosie , Tilly My wonderful bully from before Rosie had it all figured out by 6 months again a femal and again we got her as a puppy also there all different you have to be very patient with them for that matter all pups .
As far as play yep that is normal it gets much better once they loose those shark teeth there born with damage wise and grow there second set , but rough play is normal all my guys play rough from the largest to the smallest ( have 5 dogs from a Cane Corso, 110 lbs too Rosie being the smallest 50 lbs ) Rosie is the roughest go figure she plays hard , but rare the big dogs hurt her , when I see the play getting to rough I change my tone of voice to what they all know when i am mad to " Thats A Gentle " or " Gentle " I do not touch them just use My voice seems to work and has for many many years , hope it helps .

OP
B

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
Thanks all for the input. I am hoping a little age and loosing the puppy teeth help.. She seems to have razor sharp teeth compared to his.
I try to stay consistent and use voice tone to help let them know what is a bit to rough on the play. If it isn't her, its him instigating..
Just yesterday they were doing there own thing, and he went over and took her chew toy... She was trying about everything to get it back. Not that she really wanted it that bad, but the fact that he had it.. She took his jolly ball and was swinging it at him to entice him to drop it and go for the jolly ball.. So funny, he knew what she was up to and was not falling for it..
I did get a water bottle and spray water when they get a bit rough and I am across the room and they stop paying attention to voice reflection. Not to mention that I was boiling them eggs the other day for a snack and she stopped and peed right before the water boiled... sprayed her in the face as she was peeing.. might not do any good.. but it made me feel better as I got a "what the... look.." :ashamed:
Thanks again for all the advice and posts.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks all for the input. I am hoping a little age and loosing the puppy teeth help.. She seems to have razor sharp teeth compared to his.
I try to stay consistent and use voice tone to help let them know what is a bit to rough on the play. If it isn't her, its him instigating..
Just yesterday they were doing there own thing, and he went over and took her chew toy... She was trying about everything to get it back. Not that she really wanted it that bad, but the fact that he had it.. She took his jolly ball and was swinging it at him to entice him to drop it and go for the jolly ball.. So funny, he knew what she was up to and was not falling for it..
I did get a water bottle and spray water when they get a bit rough and I am across the room and they stop paying attention to voice reflection. Not to mention that I was boiling them eggs the other day for a snack and she stopped and peed right before the water boiled... sprayed her in the face as she was peeing.. might not do any good.. but it made me feel better as I got a "what the... look.." :ashamed:
Thanks again for all the advice and posts.

Yes..... :laugh: when you have two, they always want what the other has even if it is the exact same toy. They will work it out, just do as you are and stop them when it gets too rough. and, the shark teeth will be gone soon

OP
B

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
Okay, I have been keeping up on the forum, just been real busy and the bullies are doing great for the most part.
Vader has a bit of mange that is not clearing up as I hoped from the last vet visit. We have another visit this Sat.
I am bathing and following instructions with meds from vet. But the little fellows head is looking a bit rough. He
isn't or doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. Reya is doing great. A little chin acme but nothing to bad. Daycare is helping Reya
with social skills.. Not hurting Vader, but I think it is adding to his allergy issues. Weather has been a bit screwy. I did purchase one of those elevated beds today.
As you can see from the picture.. Bully approved. :D

Thanks again everyone for comment and suggestions. For the most part they are getting along.. some spats here and there. But nothing too serious.
And they are bonding with each other for sure. Both are still independent but they have a mutual bond going.
Thanks again.. Mikebuddies.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay, I have been keeping up on the forum, just been real busy and the bullies are doing great for the most part.
Vader has a bit of mange that is not clearing up as I hoped from the last vet visit. We have another visit this Sat.
I am bathing and following instructions with meds from vet. But the little fellows head is looking a bit rough. He
isn't or doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. Reya is doing great. A little chin acme but nothing to bad. Daycare is helping Reya
with social skills.. Not hurting Vader, but I think it is adding to his allergy issues. Weather has been a bit screwy. I did purchase one of those elevated beds today.
As you can see from the picture.. Bully approved. :D

Thanks again everyone for comment and suggestions. For the most part they are getting along.. some spats here and there. But nothing too serious.
And they are bonding with each other for sure. Both are still independent but they have a mutual bond going.
Thanks again.. MikeView attachment 98297

Good to hear things are progressing nicely .... love the picture! keep up the great work and keep the pictures coming :D

PumasDad

Oct 11, 2017
Houston TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Puma
Hi all, I decided to post here and split off the new member thread I started.
Quick recap. Puppy 1 Vader is now 17 weeks old and growing.. Puppy 2 Reya is 13 weeks and growing as well.
Vader is still playing a little rough, but not excessive, Reya is playing just as rough, but since she is smaller, she is always jumping up at him and nipping his face. Poor Vader is starting to look like he is playing with a blender. They get along pretty well other than him getting marked up. To be fair, he does have a tendency to grab her and drag here a little to play where he wants to and the dry humping thing as well. He doesn't bark during play unless she snags his face a bit.. She is barking and nipping most to the time. And they take turns bothering each other, so its not one sided.

Reya has this peeing and pooping issue, she will poop or pee without warning.. This is driving me a bit nuts as Vader has just about house trained the first week. She will poop and not think anything about it. She has always been a pee'er but now we seem to be pooing as well. Outside she will do her dance and look for the perfect spot, inside just will stop and do whatever without really any warning.

Main question, is she going to stop this nipping at his face as she gets bigger or is it going to continue and does anyone have any suggestions on how to train her not to bit at his jowls. I am working on him playing a bit softer and seems to be working a bit..
Picture of them in the day run and it was yesterday. She got him good in the face last week and again this morning.
View attachment 96821

Not to go off topic but what kind of Pen is that ?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15586]BREWBADGER[/MENTION] Nyala did the same with Duke. One side of Duke's face, all you saw from the side was lots of missing teeth size hole. I tried something my breeder said to use..."alum". Its a white powder spice. NOT dangerous so dont worry. Add water by drop and make a little paste with it. Put it on Vader cheeks/face . Once she gets a taste of it as its extremely bitter and sour, she'll stop. Nyala sure did.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.