Komarov

Mar 13, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma
Hi All,

We had a 10 year old bully who passed away 2 months ago She had spina bifida and incontinence she knew enough to go on her pads but never outside we never had an issue because we knew she had this issue and she couldn't help it. We swore our next adopted bully would be housebroken. We just adopted a 3 yr old bully we have her 3 weeks she is doing great she goes to the door when she needs to go out In AM she does #2 and little #1. She has been having some accidents we can take her out for 20 minutes and 5 minutes later she goes to door by the time I go to let her out she pees even after being out. I have taken her for longer times to make sure she goes because she takes forever to find a spot. She does not do it all the time. Should I keep her out longer each time?
Someone told me not to do that because she has to have a set schedule and she has to learn. I take her out first in AM than about 12pm , 3pm 6pm and last call 10pm.
What am I doing wrong? Should I stay out with her as long as it takes to make sure she pees? She's really more worried about sniffing around, looking at people esp with other dogs. I have had my rugs steamed clean after my 1st bull passed could it be she smells her sent still? Should I not leave her water bowl filled her foster Mom said the more she drinks the more she will pee. How do you let a dog stay thirsty?

She was given up by original owners due to accidents which I think is very sad we all know bullies are stubborn and take a lot of work. I would never hit herI just tell her "no and why did you do that you were just out?" I really need her to stop doing this because my husband thought it was too soon to get another bull so I mainly take care of her. He loves her too it just annoys him and he sternly tells her he says I'm way to soft on her.
Any Advice would be Great!

Thanks Komarov

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hi and WeLcOmE to EBN:)

I'm so sorry for the loss of your bully, and thank you for adopting:hug:

Like previous post I'd suggest a UTI check just to rule it out. It's possible she can smell the pee on the carpets... When you take her out make sure she does pee and take her out regularly, kind of like potty training a puppy. Usually they find a spot where they like to do their thing, if she does, take her there and praise her lots when she does pee. Bulldogs LOVES attention:tongue: Everything is new to her so even if she's not a puppy she might need to be potty trained like one. I'm sure she'll learn even though they're very stubborn:)

Like you say, I wouldn't take her water away, doesn't seem fair...

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Great advice, I agree with all and so very sorry to hear of your loss.
Thank you for adopting a bulldog and giving a forever home. It's not
uncommon for bulldogs new to another home to have accidents. If she
has never been properly trained than it's more difficult but not impossible.
Be very clear about expectations, do not show anger or yell, bulldogs shut
down. Some teach bulldogs to pull on a bell (on door) so can respond asap,
by the time my Cami goes to the door she's gotta go! Stay consistent and
persistant, they seem to 'get it' out of the blue so don't give up. Any time
she pottys give effusive, over the top praise, repeating the same key words
each time. When Cami goes to the door, I tell her, 'Go potty outside!' & gave
a treat each time & after inside, petted her & repeated, 'Good girl, good girl,
Cami go potty outside!' in excited & happy voice.

I adopted two bulldogs at different times, one male, one female, neither potty
trained. It didn't take long but seemed long, lol and they both regressed after
doing great awhile, no particular reasons but went back to same training &
positive re-enforcement (ignored accidents) and stayed calm. Do not shame
them, very sensitive dogs!

Good luck and update us...pics please!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN ..... so very sorry for the loss of your bully. Thank you for giving Emma a new chance on a great life.

I agree with the others, have her checked for a UTI and make sure you are making a BIG fuss over her going potty in the yard or on walks, she will get the message in no time. With the change of homes, she is still settling in... schedule definitely will help as well. As for limiting her time out...eh, no, that is opposite, keep her out till she goes and when she does, go crazy with love and positive reinforcement. And, I would never limit a dogs access to water.

good luck and please keep us posted

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yes, please never limit her water, many bullies (and dogs & cats in general)
do not drink enough water.

She will get the hang of it, mine did and after regressing a couple times then
never have again ;)

It's just pee and easily cleaned up, just relax and love them...thy will respond
soon enough and the frustration will pass and soon forgotten.

Keep the FAITH ;)

Komarov47

Mar 14, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the Advice and kind words about my Bull.
I have her adoption papers and it says she just saw her vet in January. I do know she get a UTI anytime so we are taking her to our vet because there are some issues I don't agree with that the foster Mom. I am worried because F.Mom told me she was never on heartworm or flea medication My other bull was on Heart guard and frontline. They treated her in holistic ways. I'm sorry each his own but I don't believe in that.My other bull did take cranberry due to frequent UTI's Has anyone ever heard of a dog not being on heart worm and flea meds?

I agree with all of you with her water issue. How do you let a dog stay thirsty all night? THere's no way I am giving up I know Emma and I can do it. My 1st Bully took a while to use pads and only go on pads. It was hard but it was all worth it. I agree with all of you I will praise her more try the taking treats with me and keep her out till she goes. She had an accident this AM and Pm after going out but I will take everyone's advice it takes time
All I can say is "Thank God for spot bot" the machine is awesome.

Thank u all

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.