Is it possible to train wearing harness?

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hello all my experienced friends!! I've been transitioning Joey from flat collar to harness over the past months. She is a great walker BUT when she sees someone she wants to meet OMG she pulls!!!! So no more flat collar unless its for a quick potty break, walks are all harness now. She does not like the Julius K9 that I bought and I bought a new one just in case I sized it wrong.

So......question, is it possible to train her not to pull while wearing a harness? She's already completed first course obedience training (with flat collar) and will begin intermediate training in the spring. But I need to get this pulling under control.....help please...and thank you, as always!!

Edited to say I will not stop using a harness....whether she likes it or not. Too afraid of hurting her throat.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can, but it is a little more difficult due to it not giving the 'correction' of the flat color or martingale collars. We were able to harness train with Banks, but it was later in her years AFTER we got her dominance under control ---- using a harness with Cheli has been WORTHLESS, he is just on his own path and the harness just adds to his need to get further in front of us --- put the flat collar on and he is LESS of a nudge :D

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
You can, but it is a little more difficult due to it not giving the 'correction' of the flat color or martingale collars. We were able to harness train with Banks, but it was later in her years AFTER we got her dominance under control ---- using a harness with Cheli has been WORTHLESS, he is just on his own path and the harness just adds to his need to get further in front of us --- put the flat collar on and he is LESS of a nudge :D

Thank you, as always! What is the suggested correction, using harness, to stop the pulling? Stop and sit?

jdeveaux

Bully Buttler
Jan 12, 2016
Sugar Land, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jupiter
It takes a lot of patience and well more patience. I'm still working on it with Jupiter. It's hard with a 13 week old puppy but it can be done. Number one is they need to know you are confident and the alpha.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you, as always! What is the suggested correction, using harness, to stop the pulling? Stop and sit?

Yes, stop, place them in a sit and once you command to begin walking again... as SOON as they pull -- stop and sit. I am not going to candy coat it..... this SUCKS donkey balls, but you will get there.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Yes, stop, place them in a sit and once you command to begin walking again... as SOON as they pull -- stop and sit. I am not going to candy coat it..... this SUCKS donkey balls, but you will get there.

PERFECT!!! That's what I needed to know :)

Most Reactions