Help Needed! Car training

Ronky

Mar 6, 2016
Country
New Zealand
Bulldog(s) Names
Billie
So My girl Billie, really doesn't like going in the car or truck. In June we are going on a 2 week holiday, and she is coming with us. So I really need her to be okay with traveling. I don't want to use her crate in the car, as that's her bed. I have used her blanket and chew toys. We only go on small trips (10 - 15 minutes). As soon as we get in the car she starts breathing faster. And I don't want her to bloat herself. We have tried the whole going somewhere great for her. EG, to a park, or a beach. then playing for her for half an hour or so. Its not helping. At the moment I'm doing it once a week. Should I step that up to more.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks in Advance

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
if she loves her crate, then use it... it is the safest place for them when in the car.

I also just posted in another thread for you... it could also be that she is getting motion sickness, try a something for that like a Dramamine (adult not childerns or the chewables)... do a half tablet. Or if you can get benedryl, that is 1 mg per pound.

Our girl HATED the car all her life no matter what we did or tried she just never took to it, we believe it ws due to her being out of control of what was happening... the movement of the car and she was not controlling it. Banks was very dominate and deliberate in her behavior, she never did anything unless she wanted to (with some protest when we did commands) so we had to have her somewhat sedated (prescription from vet) when we went on road trips with her.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Mine absolutely loves the car. Every time we are outside, he will run up to the car and look expectantly back at me to ask if we are getting in. When I was getting snow off the car this winter, he would hop in the seat and not get out.

He does get really excited in the car and pants the whole time, so I am interested in seeing what others answer to this thread.

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
Vader hated riding in the car... He would freak out in the crate, so I tried the harness into the seat belt attachment.
The first 10 min trip, I had him in the back and you would have thought I was shocking him with a cattle prod the whole trip..
He had and still has this whole restraint issue that we are slowly working out... The next two times I had him in the front, same thing... I would
show him that I was seat belted in, but to no avail. Cried and screamed at the top of his lungs, which is a bit unnerving as you are trying to drive.
After about the 3rd time, he didn't freak out so bad, then I took him on the 45 min trip to pick up Reya, he didn't do so bad and after that trip he will ride in the back
and not fuss to much. It helps that I only take him to cool places like the store and vet where people just adore and spoil him to no end.. :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
... I don't want to use her crate in the car, as that's her bed. I have used her blanket and chew toys.

Instead of her ordinary crate, perhaps you could try a car safety crate which is much more sturdy? We started out with safety belt in the back seat but Castor would stand up, wobble around and managed to unbuckle himself more than once. Then we got one of those heavy duty crates for the trunk and Castor sits still and soon lies down. He didn't really have any problems riding the car before but he is so much more relaxed now. The downside is of course that the crate takes up half of the space in our volvo trunk but everyone in the car is happy and safe.

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
we had a similar problem with our schnauzer. he hated the car from day one, and would barf from nerves. i searched all over and finally found a site that laid out a strategy. we followed it and now he even puts his head out the window.

first open the car doors and put the dog in. do not go anywhere, but do yardwork or simply play in and around the car. lots of treats. do this for a few days.

then take many short trips to parks to walking areas. for these trips thw dog gets a special toy that is only for the car. also lots of treats.

it took us two weeks.

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
I highly recommend using the crate especially if she sleeps in it every night cause it will feel safer for her. Then down the road you could stop using the crate as she gets more comfortable with car rides. I've never had issues getting boris into the car and he the only time he goes crazy is if its raining really hard or we're approaching my parents house (he loves seeing his cousins).

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Daisy, my Frenchie, rides in a travel crate in the car. We tried just letting her sit on the front seat but she was all over the place and I was a very distracted driver. Then I tried the seat belt harness but it didn't fit her right and she couldn't find a comfortable position. I decided to go to the travel crate and she loves it. She gets in, lays down and is fast asleep before we turn off our road, even if we are only going somewhere 5 minutes away. I plan on taking the same approach with Hank until he can't fit in the travel carrier. After that, I'll have to come up with a new game plan.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online