LordNelson

May 28, 2014
Austin, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Good day all,
I would like for my bulldog (Nelson) to learn a new command/suggestion. Namely, he loves his Kong ball (when it contains food) and I would like for him to find it for me, so that I can refill it on occasion.

As most of you know, or are learning, bulldogs are highly intelligent. If he has seen me put food in the Kong, he will go and find it when I issue the "find kong" command (my hand signal for this is stacked fists). If he has NOT seen me put food in the Kong, he looks at me in bewilderment.

Obviously, during the course of him obtaining food from the Kong it can end up almost anywhere, so I want to minimize my search for it. Thus, I'd like him to at least point me in the direction of where the empty kong is.

So far, this has been my process:
1) fill the kong
2) direct him to a different room, and have him sit/stay
3) place the kong (filled) in another room
4) walk to him (perhaps pet him) then issue a "Nelson Kong" command while simultaneously stacking my fists.
(dogs are more visual than verbal)

If I do the above, he will find the kong and get the food. If I start with an empty kong, he just looks at me.

Any suggestions on how I can train him to find an empty kong?

These are smart little beings.

Thanks all !

jdeveaux

Bully Buttler
Jan 12, 2016
Sugar Land, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jupiter
Maybe start switching things up on him. Follow the same process you do when you fill the Kong but don't put the food in it until he brings it to you, after doing that a few times(ok maybe more for a Bulldog), he'll get the idea. Pretty much the same idea as working over from treats for listening to just praise.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Maybe start switching things up on him. Follow the same process you do when you fill the Kong but don't put the food in it until he brings it to you, after doing that a few times(ok maybe more for a Bulldog), he'll get the idea. Pretty much the same idea as working over from treats for listening to just praise.

I was going to suggest the same.

OP
L

LordNelson

May 28, 2014
Austin, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
We have made some progress.

Since he knows when the kong is filled, and will go after it at that point, I've started calling him just a bit before it is empty.
Then have him "find kong" again, and he runs back to it. He will now occasionally do this even without a filled kong.

This is my first bulldog, and it's true, they really do view the world differently and think more strategically than any other dog breed I've had.

I really couldn't ask for a more perfect companion.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have made some progress.

Since he knows when the kong is filled, and will go after it at that point, I've started calling him just a bit before it is empty.
Then have him "find kong" again, and he runs back to it. He will now occasionally do this even without a filled kong.

This is my first bulldog, and it's true, they really do view the world differently and think more strategically than any other dog breed I've had.

I really couldn't ask for a more perfect companion.

yes, they do.... they really are contemplating what you are asking is worth the reward.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.