Help Needed! mounting issues

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
So in the last few months we have had the issue of Ty trying to mount our youngest daughter (9yr about 45#). We have tried everything we can - she is too small to push him down and "alpha" him so another person has to intervene and we usually end up with a sharp no and sit which he usually listens too but as soon as someone turns their back he goes at it again. We have also tried crating for short periods of time when this behavior starts which stops it for a short period of time etc and I have had her leave the room but we have a small house....and it's the only room that we have for family time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Is he neutered? This might help if not, but really it sounds like dominance to me. She is going to have to put him down with the help of an adult if she is too little to do it herself. Ty has to see her as a leader or he will not stop. Maybe you can leash him and she can control him better with a leash or maybe she can carry small cookies and make him go into a sit/stay and reward with a treat when he listens. Good luck.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Repetition, repetition, repetition. Its going to take a while, but keep up with the firm "no" and try to redirect him. With a bone or toy, etc. You are doing great, just don't lose your patience, and keep on with the training. Also, teach your daughter to say "no" as well. I know she's small, but have her say "no Ty" when he tries. She may not be alpha, but he'll get it eventually.

OP
ldenne

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
He is not neutered. We will try having her with help put him down - it's off because at times he does listen to her pretty well like when she puts a leash on him etc he doesn't pull her like he pulls our 16yr when walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
even if it takes keeping the leash on all of the time. He will get it but you need him to learn now, God forbid you have a group of girl scouts over or something :(

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
He is not neutered. We will try having her with help put him down - it's off because at times he does listen to her pretty well like when she puts a leash on him etc he doesn't pull her like he pulls our 16yr when walking.

Then definitely keep a short lead on him all the time so she can use it to control him.
I too, believe it's a dominance issue and just keep doing it with firmness, patience &
consistent enforcement.

Great suggestions from all :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Consistency is key here… I would say when he does this let your daughter put him in his crate for a short time-out. Eventually he will get tired of it, and realize that she is in charge… good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with the gang.... have your daughter feed Tiberius. She should place him in a sit/stay position and then make him wait for her to put the food bowl on the floor and then she is too release him. Consistency is key, she should be the food source and he will begin to see her as a leader. we did this with Lambeau at 10-12 weeks and he does great. Still mounts our Frenchie, but as soon as we say off... he stops.

It can be a process of LOTS of patience but it will work , but you will also have to think about neutering as he may not stop regardless, if he is still intact.

jdblodgett

Dec 7, 2015
Northern Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnefred "Winni" "Da Poh"
I have a similar but oddly different scenario. I feel for you as I would be upset if that happened to my little girl.

I am the only man in the house. Wife, 10 Year old step daughter, my bully Winnie, my old lady Sandy Bear, and a cat named pickles fat cat. I am clearly the pack alpha and the animals behave really well for me. I am also the most affectionate in the house. I do let the dogs lick my face from time to time, i know its gross.

When my bully Winnie gets wicked tired, she fights it of course rather than lay down, sometimes even falling asleep sitting up and falling over. When she does this sometimes she goes into zombie mode and tries to bite my hand while mounting my arm or leg. She is trying to dominate my arm or leg, like it is a separate entity from my body, while being respectful to the rest of me. I say sometimes, which means a few nights a week.

I have been looking for patterns with the zombie mode and mounting. It usually means she is tired and i put her in her crate and she is asleep in less than 5. I will usually go get her after an hour or so and lay her in her bed at my feet where she spends the rest of the evening being a good girl.

I also started to notice the zombie mode without mounting means she needs to poop, most of the time. Not to say any of this matches what your boy is doing. My 10 yr old had issues with Zombie mode, but i taught her how to scruff and wrestle the dog down to assert dominance and then ignore her. That was attempts at domination and for now thankfully it has lapsed. Ignoring her after asserting dominance has been very effective, but took a while to get going. That dog cannot stand to be ignored. ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.