BullyLove22

Feb 9, 2016
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Fern
(First time bulldog owner)

Hello,

My name is Nicole and my fiancé and I just adopted a bully mix. (Her adoption ad said Boston terrier / frenchie mix, vet records state frenchie / English mix). She is super sweet with us and our friend she has met. Noticing she has issues on our walks with certain people (barks aggressively and tries to lunge). We had the same issues at the vet today, including other dogs in the waiting room.

I was told by the foster mother that she has no history of abuse and is ok with other dogs but can't live with them. I just am at a loss because I have never been on this end of a dog who acts like this and she doesn't seem ok with other dogs as we were told.

We plan on getting her some training for socialization but I am not sure what to do in the meantime. She needs her walks and it's getting difficult to do so. I've only had her for 3 days so I don't expect miracles. Does anyone have tips I can try until she gets the proper training she needs?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I'm going to tag some members who have more experience w/this type of aggression… some dogs just don't like other dogs. This is something that your trainer can work on too, but in the meantime is she treat motivated? I have seen some videos where if another dog is walking towards your dog, you pull the leash in close and say "watch me" while holding the treat close to her face. Keeping her attention on that reward and NOT the other dog…

Do you own a harness? That works best for bully breeds too… you can keep a better hold on them instead of just a collar.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I have no idea since most bulldogs just look at other barking dogs like wth are you doing when the bark at them. I could see a boston/frenchie mix being more standoffish.

OP
B

BullyLove22

Feb 9, 2016
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Fern
Thank you! She is somewhat treat motivated, obviously stubborn and hasn't been worked with very much. But I will definitely give this method a shot. Its just so weird to go from being able to grab things out of her mouth and touch her food bowl while she eats and never ending bully kisses to see her bark and lunge. She needs work but I think we can get her there!

OP
B

BullyLove22

Feb 9, 2016
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Fern
Ya she definitely looks to possibly have some bos-terrier in her so that could be it. I've never owned a bully but any I've met have always seemed to not have a care in the world.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Bostons are a much more shall we say "energetic" type. She may not have been socialized since she was a pup.I agree with using a harness,and getting extra special treats for the walks to gain her attention on you.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Foster mother probably wasnt the soul owner if she's a foster. I use to train dogs many yrs ago and trained all my dobermans n German Shepherd. My GS was attacked by a pack of dogs in a dog park at 3 months n 6 months old. That was why he became very aggressive with any dog. A dog doesn't see size. Sees only a dog. He didn't care about sizes would grab a golden an throw it up in the air like a kite. For 8 yrs walking him was a mission. I am not saying your dog was attacked but dogs arent born nasty either. Basically you need to get the right training collar, dogs have to walk to your left not pass your knee and most of all YOU'RE in control at all times with your dog. Doesn't matter the size of dog you have. Mine was 115lbs all muscles. Never be tense. Don't hold your leash like you're preparing yourself for your dog to take off like a bullet. Your dog is small trust me much easier to control. You're the boss not the dog. When you walk your dog to your left and you see another dog coming along, breathe, relax, be firm and just use ONE word like I would use "Walk" and keep walking, hold your leash short so he doesn't go further than your left leg and firmly say "WALK"and keep moving. Yank your leash outwards towards your left so it tightens his choker and say walk without stopping. I never praised when I walked my GS as he knows he cant do that. Example im sure you've watched Cesar. Ever see him praise any dogs he trains? Never, as it's expected for a dog to behave when he/she goes out. Just like a child. Same thing. But just make sure when you say a command it's firm and not like your asking please.... Get up, stand in front of the dog and be firm. Dont repeat. Ok, sorry in advance if I sound like boot camp. Just when you have a well behave dog you will appreciate your dog a lot more and so will he as your dog will know you love him and you're there for him. Goes both ways. So that's my long 2 cents worth :)

OP
B

BullyLove22

Feb 9, 2016
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Fern
She's a mix of both worlds, high energy at times but she loves to sleep as well lol. Will give these tips a try.

OP
B

BullyLove22

Feb 9, 2016
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Fern
Wow thank you! She is pretty well leash trained as far as she ALWAYS walks to the left of me and keeps my pace. She starts walking a little fast sometimes so I will stop and tell her "calm, walk with me" and she will get back on track. I have read some of his articles and have heard never tense up. I have been trying to accomplish that because sometimes I see someone with or without a dog and it does make me nervous. In the past I have had dogs and they never have been the lunging/barking type... my biggest concern is what if she does lunge and bite. Which I don't think is her main purpose, just showing dominance I would guess (she is VERY clingy, have to break her of that. She is attached to me after only a couple days, likes my fiance but you can tell who her human is). If we are standing there and someone gets near that she barks at, I can redirect her attention to me and tell her "calm" and she will stare at me, give me a kiss and sit there. A few minutes later she will start barking again and lunging if the person is still near. However, I cannot seem to get her to redirect attention when walking. It's a bit difficult, definitely will need a trainer to help with this.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
The Julius K9 harness has a loop on the top for controlling your dog. It might be nice if you could have your dog sit to calm down while other people or dogs walk by. I use the loop to control my dog so he sits instead of jumping on people for pets.

OP
B

BullyLove22

Feb 9, 2016
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Fern
Thank you, she currently doesn't have a harness so that may be a good
Option to look into

OP
B

BullyLove22

Feb 9, 2016
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Fern
We had a good moment tonight. I made sure to focus solely on staying calm myself and not worry as we walked by another person. She began to jump and bark. With a light tug and by the second "calm" she focused back on walking. Happened again when we walked back by the same person, but again by the second "calm" she just trotted along silently. Any little victory for her right now is big in my book.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had a good moment tonight. I made sure to focus solely on staying calm myself and not worry as we walked by another person. She began to jump and bark. With a light tug and by the second "calm" she focused back on walking. Happened again when we walked back by the same person, but again by the second "calm" she just trotted along silently. Any little victory for her right now is big in my book.

Great! stay on that track -- calm and consistent is the key.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.