I have never seen a dog even all My rescues eat with such verocity as Rosie , Anyone else ?

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky inhales his food and I put about 1/4" of water in the bottom of the bowl. He then lick the wall, the mat the bowl is on and the floor the burps and is ready to go out and poop. He will not get aggressive with me if i move his food and he waits until I get out of the way and its game on then

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Yep George just inhales his food too but he's far from what could be described as food aggressive he doesn't mind you going near his bowl which is great. We have one of those bowls with the raised parts to slow him down but it doesn't work he can eat it just as quickly as from a flat bottomed bowl. No matter how much food he gets he still looks for more.
I don't think you have a problem you just have a normal bulldog 😜

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My German Shepherd was like that. Put a ball in the bowl. Make sure it's a heavy and a bigger ball so it doesn't get swallowed!!! . Works wonders.

LordNelson

May 28, 2014
Austin, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Nelson devours his food in 10-15 seconds then stares back at me as if I am starving him to death.
He gets fed 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. He also gets numerous treats / vegetables / fruits.

He is not food aggressive, as I can take his bowl etc. I also have him sit and wait for a few seconds after I pour his food in his bowl.

On my last work trip, I had to leave him with a friend... they called me asking if it was normal for him to devour his food that quickly :)
They had never seen anything like it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think most Bulldogs are this way! I only have one who chews her food.... Most of my puppies too- and you can see this type of behavior start at 1 week of age. Bulldogs from larger litters tend to be even more like this. My theory is that bc they have scheduled feedings from birth it activates a "get it while you can" mentality vs. puppies who get to nurse on mom whenever they please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Out of my current pack of dogs, one has to use a slow feeder. I use the plastic one. I only use metal for all of the other dog bowls (easier to clean), but for the slow feeder, the plastic is cheaper and I like the design. A normal time is 30 seconds for a one cup kibble. Using the slow feeder changes to 90 seconds. Just slow enough to prevent bloat from super inhaling food.

Bulldogs don't chew food like other dogs.

Regarding training and feeding, I don't see how that changes the eating habit. It only delays for a few seconds. They will still eat just as fast.

Behavioral modification is suggested.
Not making a big deal about feeding, no noises, high voices, shaking the bowl, etc.
Changing how they are fed. Pouring food, but them waiting. Leave the bowl on the counter and go about other activities. Minimize the excitement of eating.

Others might have suggestions.

OP
natski282

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
yes! it was shocking at first as I went from having picky little shelties who daintily ate one piece of food at a time, to frank who eats like a crazy man.

at exactly 5pm sharp he starts staring at us and making groaning noises. god forbid we are 5 minutes late feeding him, he will walk into the kitchen and start licking his empty bowl. in the 20 seconds it takes me to open his food container and fill the scoop, he's got a little pool of drool underneath him on the floor. and yes he eats it all in about 5 seconds if I don't put a tennis ball in there to slow his roll. it's really a sight to see! I think most bullies are food motivated to the extreme! I love him.

Yes I get the internal clock thing with all My guys ( 4 dogs here ) works for bed time too lol if I fall asleep on the couch they wake Me at 9pm sharp to go to bed all of them , Rosie wakes at quarter to 12 for her afternoon lunch and where ever I am stares at Me a Intense stare like I seem to always forget to feed her lol ( which I do not lol not able too )

OP
natski282

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
When i said aggressive I did mean towards the food , she loves that poor food and its gone amazin speed , Diva would eat I kept her separate as I wanted NO push for her to eat fast , she half and half would bring it back up and re-eat it . Rosie is not aggressive to any other dog other then she had to learn as a young pup that it was not ok to go to another's bowl as they ate , I let what ever corrections happen happen in those cases and still do . I could put My hand in her bowl as she eats and have zero issues . The other dogs know better then doing that .

Most Reactions