Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have never seen a dog even all My rescues eat with such verocity as Rosie , Anyone else ?

Dog Park Attendant
    Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I have never seen a dog even all My rescues eat with such verocity as Rosie , Anyone else ?

yes! it was shocking at first as I went from having picky little shelties who daintily ate one piece of food at a time, to frank who eats like a crazy man.

at exactly 5pm sharp he starts staring at us and making groaning noises. god forbid we are 5 minutes late feeding him, he will walk into the kitchen and start licking his empty bowl. in the 20 seconds it takes me to open his food container and fill the scoop, he's got a little pool of drool underneath him on the floor. and yes he eats it all in about 5 seconds if I don't put a tennis ball in there to slow his roll. it's really a sight to see! I think most bullies are food motivated to the extreme! I love him.

2. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I have never seen a dog even all My rescues eat with such verocity as Rosie , Anyone else ?

Izzy too! 10-15 seconds and she will finish 1 cup of kibble. She does not chew on it... she just inhales and then looks at me like I didnt give her enough. She doesnt throw up after eating so I never worried about slowing her down. The only thing I did because she was all over me when I was scooping her food is to make her sit and wait for a command to eat. I put food bowl down, make her do the hi five... sometimes 3 times if I noticed her super anxious! then I let her have it! That seemed to make her calm down a bit but she still a fast eater.

But ...hey... I am not complaining. I can feed Izzy/walk and complete potty break in less than 10 minutes and I live on the third floor of an apartment complex! She is my ninja

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin' groomzilla Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Ron
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

Chance seems to be going through a phase still wolfs down his meal lickety split but I normally feed him twice a day. His first meal most times lately sits untouched until dinner time then I add the extra and he chows down. Also will not eat unless someone is home.
    Have seen the bowls to slow them down and read about adding a large stone into their food dish making them eat slower by having to pick instead of in hale.

Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)

Chunky inhales his food and I put about 1/4" of water in the bottom of the bowl. He then lick the wall, the mat the bowl is on and the floor the burps and is ready to go out and poop. He will not get aggressive with me if i move his food and he waits until I get out of the way and its game on then

Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

Real Name
    Olive
    Country
    Ireland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    George Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Yep George just inhales his food too but he's far from what could be described as food aggressive he doesn't mind you going near his bowl which is great. We have one of those bowls with the raised parts to slow him down but it doesn't work he can eat it just as quickly as from a flat bottomed bowl. No matter how much food he gets he still looks for more.
    I don't think you have a problem you just have a normal bulldog 😜

The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

My German Shepherd was like that. Put a ball in the bowl. Make sure it's a heavy and a bigger ball so it doesn't get swallowed!!! . Works wonders.

Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Jay
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nelson
    Likes (Received)

Nelson devours his food in 10-15 seconds then stares back at me as if I am starving him to death.
    He gets fed 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. He also gets numerous treats / vegetables / fruits.

He is not food aggressive, as I can take his bowl etc. I also have him sit and wait for a few seconds after I pour his food in his bowl.

On my last work trip, I had to leave him with a friend... they called me asking if it was normal for him to devour his food that quickly
    They had never seen anything like it.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I think most Bulldogs are this way! I only have one who chews her food.... Most of my puppies too- and you can see this type of behavior start at 1 week of age. Bulldogs from larger litters tend to be even more like this. My theory is that bc they have scheduled feedings from birth it activates a "get it while you can" mentality vs. puppies who get to nurse on mom whenever they please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

Out of my current pack of dogs, one has to use a slow feeder. I use the plastic one. I only use metal for all of the other dog bowls (easier to clean), but for the slow feeder, the plastic is cheaper and I like the design. A normal time is 30 seconds for a one cup kibble. Using the slow feeder changes to 90 seconds. Just slow enough to prevent bloat from super inhaling food.

Bulldogs don't chew food like other dogs.

Regarding training and feeding, I don't see how that changes the eating habit. It only delays for a few seconds. They will still eat just as fast.

Behavioral modification is suggested.
    Not making a big deal about feeding, no noises, high voices, shaking the bowl, etc.
    Changing how they are fed. Pouring food, but them waiting. Leave the bowl on the counter and go about other activities. Minimize the excitement of eating.

Others might have suggestions.
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

11. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by madie4589 View Post
    yes! it was shocking at first as I went from having picky little shelties who daintily ate one piece of food at a time, to frank who eats like a crazy man.

at exactly 5pm sharp he starts staring at us and making groaning noises. god forbid we are 5 minutes late feeding him, he will walk into the kitchen and start licking his empty bowl. in the 20 seconds it takes me to open his food container and fill the scoop, he's got a little pool of drool underneath him on the floor. and yes he eats it all in about 5 seconds if I don't put a tennis ball in there to slow his roll. it's really a sight to see! I think most bullies are food motivated to the extreme! I love him.
    Yes I get the internal clock thing with all My guys ( 4 dogs here ) works for bed time too lol if I fall asleep on the couch they wake Me at 9pm sharp to go to bed all of them , Rosie wakes at quarter to 12 for her afternoon lunch and where ever I am stares at Me a Intense stare like I seem to always forget to feed her lol ( which I do not lol not able too )
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

When i said aggressive I did mean towards the food , she loves that poor food and its gone amazin speed , Diva would eat I kept her separate as I wanted NO push for her to eat fast , she half and half would bring it back up and re-eat it . Rosie is not aggressive to any other dog other then she had to learn as a young pup that it was not ok to go to another's bowl as they ate , I let what ever corrections happen happen in those cases and still do . I could put My hand in her bowl as she eats and have zero issues . The other dogs know better then doing that .
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads