Please help with house breaking issues

phoefling

Feb 3, 2016
Chicago
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
We are total newbs to the English Bulldog world. We haven't had a dog for more than 30 years! I've always loved the breed, so we decided to take the plunge and get an English Bulldog puppy. She was born Nov. 9, so she (Stella) is 3 months old. We absolutely lover her! She seems very trainable, so we have had good success with no having accidents in the house. Except...at night she pees in her bed! We crate her only while we sleep at night, and the crate is sectioned off so that there is only room for her bed. We put her in there when it's time, and she does not make one sound through the night. My husband and I take turns getting up in the middle of the night to take her out since she is so young (gosh, I hope we don't have to do that for much longer!). So, we take her out 1 or 2 times in the middle of the night. I'm not sure if we are just not getting up often enough or what is going on. Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Twice during the night should be enough for her. It seems that some Bullies can not have bedding,as they will pee on it. It is hard to think of them not having a soft bed, but try taking her bed out of the crate,and see if that makes a difference.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN ..... agreed, 1 or 2 times a night should be good and also as Lynn stated remove her bedding till she is trained -- however, some dogs just can't have bedding.

One other thing -- good rule to follow is they can only hold their bladder for 1 hour more than months old so, at 3 months... her limit is 4 hours

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
All dogs including Bulldogs are different to be honest with training depends on them you have great advice so far from others here , some use puppy pads some do not I do and at 7 months this week My Rosie has not used them this past 7 or 8 days but as i said that is rosie , Tilly was fully trained by 4 months and would let me know she needed a out to go . All pups do this and at different times just like a child .
Bulldogs are stubborn to a degree lol , Rosie was the first ever dog not just bulldog that ever went in her bed for Me since i have owned dogs , I was not impressed and put only one towel down on top of the tray for her as they are easier to wash , it is not normal to pee in ones bed for a dog so for her I left the door open and placed puppy pads down for her she used them then stopped peein in her crate plus 1 for Dad , then I have tried to ween her of the pads since and think i am getting there , mistakes yes she is a pup , i do not hit her when that happens or go crazy , i pick her up and take her to the door and put her outside , in the warm months I live in a cold climate at this time of year , I put a soiled puppy pad outside on the deck so when she goes out she smells that this is the place to go she figures . For her it has worked so far ups and downs of course just like a child ummm that is stubborn lol
You will get great advice here hang in there

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
:hiii::peekaboo::welcome:Where to begin, first congrats may seem frustrating now but does get better patience definitely needed with this breed however you will not get any of that back. There are several stages that are not fun this being the first, crating and bathroom training, then comes the shark phase some - few skip this phase - the zoomies and yes they do settle down some earlier than others mine is just starting to turn into a love bug with less issues. Bathroom protocol - have received some good advice to push it a bit further this is what i did and am very glad i did. When i took Chance out it was always to the same area never said a word except hurry hurry - can use any word you like - once done peeing or pooping tons of praise and interaction. This only took a few months and now when we go out he does his business quickly when he hears hurry hurry. One draw back is he only goes on the leash.
Hang in there it is so worth it. Keep posting and hope to see some pics and continue to read on Stella's progress :yes:

OP
phoefling

phoefling

Feb 3, 2016
Chicago
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
I thank all of you so much for taking the time to help me. I'm happy to report that Stella did not pee in the crate last night! I considered all of your advice and removed all bedding from the crate, and I took her out twice in the middle of the night instead of once. We are also working harder on making sure that we praise and reward her when she does her business outside. She definitely did not like sleeping on the bare crate bed, and I think she may have even gotten cold, so I'm not sure what I will do about that. Anyway, thanks again, and I will post a picture of this little cutie soon!

Plywood

Nov 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I have a 4 month old EB puppy and she can't be trusted with any blanket, bedding or clothing left on the floor. She will go to it and instantly pee on it, I have no idea why.

I purchased a Coolaroo bed from someone's advise here and she has not peed on that yet.

My puppy is about 100% trained to do #2 outside but pee...man at this point I don't think she will ever get it. If she has to go, she will go anywhere. If there is a blanket there she will force herself to go on it lol

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
pull the water about 2 hours before bed.. also, I HIGHLY suggest getting pet insurance, and frequent this website daily, you'll need all the information you can get if new to the breed..

rufasim

Apr 13, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
So I am new to the breed and have yet to buy one. I am very interested and will be purchasing in the next couple months. Once fully trained and about a year old, how long can they hold their bladder for. There will be days that will require him to hold it about 8 hours. Doable?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So I am new to the breed and have yet to buy one. I am very interested and will be purchasing in the next couple months. Once fully trained and about a year old, how long can they hold their bladder for. There will be days that will require him to hold it about 8 hours. Doable?

Yes, after a year 8 hours should be fine

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.