Treats and crate

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Daisy is now 14 weeks and starting to get fed up with her crate, she has started barking in it during the day looking to get out, she gets loads of playtime with us but I need to crate her when the kids get out of school to do homeworks also to make meals and the usual stuff, she also barks at night and wakes us all up but I have been giving some advice in here to set an alarm and let her out to pee. So I got her some juicy treats today but not sure if I should give them to her in the crate so she associates it with treats or when she is spending time with us,

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Daisy is now 14 weeks and starting to get fed up with her crate, she has started barking in it during the day looking to get out, she gets loads of playtime with us but I need to crate her when the kids get out of school to do homeworks also to make meals and the usual stuff, she also barks at night and wakes us all up but I have been giving some advice in here to set an alarm and let her out to pee. So I got her some juicy treats today but not sure if I should give them to her in the crate so she associates it with treats or when she is spending time with us,

what do you mean by juicy treats?

OP
Harriett

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
We start our day around 6am she goes back in at 8 until I get the kids to school then when I get back from the school run she is out most of the time with me until she gets tired and goes to the crate for an hour or 2 of sleep this is the way our routine is most of the day and night. She is more often out of the crate than in it

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
To get mine into the crate I have always given them a "high value" treat.
We used to lock them up during dinner bc they would rough house and always interrupt dinner. (They are better now and have earned their way back to freedom during dinner- lol)
Initially they would bark- but it's always a transition. They eventually got used to it.
Now EVERYTIME we say "go to bed, they both go in with no issues and no longer bark.
I read somewhere that in the beginning- reward them EVERYTIME they go into the crate. Bc of that I bought soft training treats and cut them in 1/4's. They will eventually start going in there bc they love it and u can cut back on the treats. Now, mine know they only get one when the gate closes. Patience and consistency, rewarded with positive behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Harriett

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I got her some ham bones from the pet store, she has had 1 already and she has throughly enjoyed it as I think it has helped with her teething, I only let her have it for a while to see if she was ok with it

OP
Harriett

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
To get mine into the crate I have always given them a "high value" treat.
We used to lock them up during dinner bc they would rough house and always interrupt dinner. (They are better now and have earned their way back to freedom during dinner- lol)
Initially they would bark- but it's always a transition. They eventually got used to it.
Now EVERYTIME we say "go to bed, they both go in with no issues and no longer bark.
I read somewhere that in the beginning- reward them EVERYTIME they go into the crate. Bc of that I bought soft training treats and cut them in 1/4's. They will eventually start going in there bc they love it and u can cut back on the treats. Now, mine know they only get one when the gate closes. Patience and consistency, rewarded with positive behavior.

what treats do you advise?.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I used the blue bites. They have different flavors. I would take about 5 or 10 out and cut them into 1/4's (they are going to be small- like pea sized) and put them in a ziplock bag and keep them close to the crate. Every Time they (I have litter mates - so I was doing this with 2!) went in their crate for whatever reason, I praised them and gave them a treat.

c1044bb632c1eae313b206f8bfb6e4aa.jpg

Now that they are older- 9 months now. I give them these:

c47f82b17cf671dc839b3031dd411f09.jpg

OP
Harriett

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Thank you i will start doing that tomorrow, your dogs re beautiful by the way their colouring is very like Daisy's

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14682]Corine Pesantes[/MENTION] advice is exactly how I trained my pups to the crate. A treat when I put them in. When they were really small, as [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] suggested, I had the pen surrounding the crate,when I had to leave, or for naptime. Don't give in to her when she barks. If you want to let her out,not when she is barking.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I got her some ham bones from the pet store, she has had 1 already and she has throughly enjoyed it as I think it has helped with her teething, I only let her have it for a while to see if she was ok with it

great .... we use marrow bones for special treats or crate time. For regular training (potty or commands) I just use their kibble or frozen green beans

OP
Harriett

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Thanks again your advice it is very welcome. We are of to puppy classes on Wednesday night that I am looking forward to.

jdeveaux

Bully Buttler
Jan 12, 2016
Sugar Land, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jupiter

When the kids get home let Daisy have some play time with the kids, maybe 30 minutes, then let them work on getting her into the crate with a high value treat and also make sure the kids play with her as soon as she comes out. If she associates the time as fun and knowing she gets a reward she should settle down. You might need to move the crate to where she can not see the kids while they are working as another step but remember to give each change/method time.

We have our boy take the dogs out to play before home work and it helps get his and their wiggles out so they will settle down for the homework.

OP
Harriett

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
We have her crate in the kitchen as my livin room is very small and it's a lot quieter in there, and yes as soon as the kids are home from school they get to play with her, she is biting like mad at the minute so I have learned the kids to always offer her a toy instead of a finger lol and I also let them have turns on the leash on her nightly walks, she is great with the kids and they adore her. Her walks are so funny she stop for a break every few minutes so a 15 minute walk turns into a 30 minute 1, Bulldogs are so funny

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Thank you [MENTION=15374]Harriett[/MENTION]. Mine are also in our kitchen - well the eat-in part. My Penny almost HATES walks. If she's not in the mood - she stops, arches her back and tries to get out of her harness. Or she walks slow as molasses. lol!
e18e11c576c8f488cf120e6e196a05f0.jpg
2e0e1be9b5e8c330c4f9230b319cc02c.jpg

Meanwhile Lockjaw ms looking at me like "come on mom lets goooolol!" Lol

Walks definitely help calm them down though for the evening.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online