Thread: How do I let him meet other dogs? The little ones hate him...

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

Default How do I let him meet other dogs? The little ones hate him...

My bulldog loves both people and other animals. When he approaches another dog (especially small ones), they usually react negatively to him by growling. He got attacked tonight. He is ok but has a small cut by his lip that I have cleaned and checked out.

How can I help him greet other dogs? When he goes to another dog he stands still right next to their face. I think it is too dominant or assertive for other dogs.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How do I let him meet other dogs? The little ones hate him...

Hi Kim, when I first started socializing my guys, they were the same way, they love everybody and anything that moves, and think that everyone is their friend. I started socializing them slowly with other people's dogs that I knew in my neighbourhood or with family members dogs. I knew the people and I knew the dogs, we would lest them sniff each other and play outside together. Then when they were a little older I would take them to a leash free park, but I don't 100% trust or like them because of other people's aggressive or mean dogs, and also some people are ignorant and don't clean up after their pets and they or you step in the poop. I also worry about parasites or diseases they can pick up in the park. You can try a pet daycare or pet play at places like Petsmart, where you can drop them off for a few hours a day for play and socialization. It is supervised and they get playtime and exercise. My guys have each other to play with, so they always have company. Maybe you can get him a brother or a sister?
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Has he been to puppy training? That is where I start w/my dogs… but fortunately both my dogs came from homes that had other dogs around so I think that helps them understand "pack" rules.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

4. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

He has been to puppy training. I try to socialize him with other dogs as much as possible, but he doesn't have a consistent playmate in the area. The big dogs are ok with him, but all the little ones tend toward aggression.

Ultimately, I think that we will get him a brother or sister but now is not the right time. Additionally I haven't found a doggy daycare that will take intact males. Which in turn may be a cause of other dogs' aggression towards him.

6. Likes harveyspecter liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post
    He has been to puppy training. I try to socialize him with other dogs as much as possible, but he doesn't have a consistent playmate in the area. The big dogs are ok with him, but all the little ones tend toward aggression.

Ultimately, I think that we will get him a brother or sister but now is not the right time. Additionally I haven't found a doggy daycare that will take intact males. Which in turn may be a cause of other dogs' aggression towards him.
    Little dogs can be more aggressive IMO and the fact that he is intact… I have also heard that because of the way that bullies breathe, other dogs take that as a sign of "growling" and that can cause issues. I hate dog parks and avoid them like the plague, but maybe you can find some doggie friends that will meet you in a mutual place so that you can have supervised play dates.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

8. Likes cefe13, 2BullyMama, harveyspecter liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Bullies show no fear and get right up to another dog. Most other dogs have a more cautious way of approaching,and a sniff or two first. I agree,too,that the sounds they make may be misinterpreted by other dogs. I really think that it is the fearless approach that makes other dogs not trust them. They just think everybody loves them
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

10. Likes cefe13, harveyspecter, ddnene liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post
    How can I help him greet other dogs? When he goes to another dog he stands still right next to their face. I think it is too dominant or assertive for other dogs.
    This is a challenge to a dog... if they are standing next to each other side by side and the face is even up -- that is a challenge and the other dog is reacting to that stance. It might be good to either attend a training session or have a trainer come to your home and give you some pointers on how to read his body language.

As others have stated, some dogs just do not take well to the bully breeds due to sounds and look (breathing heavy, snorting, short muzzle)... even after working at a dog daycare for 4+ years I still avoid dog parks at all costs.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

12. Likes harveyspecter, Manydogs liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

No dog parks here-but I wouldn't take a chance on hurt/or germs.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Remove Ads