How do I let him meet other dogs? The little ones hate him...

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
My bulldog loves both people and other animals. When he approaches another dog (especially small ones), they usually react negatively to him by growling. He got attacked tonight. He is ok but has a small cut by his lip that I have cleaned and checked out.

How can I help him greet other dogs? When he goes to another dog he stands still right next to their face. I think it is too dominant or assertive for other dogs.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Kim, when I first started socializing my guys, they were the same way, they love everybody and anything that moves, and think that everyone is their friend. I started socializing them slowly with other people's dogs that I knew in my neighbourhood or with family members dogs. I knew the people and I knew the dogs, we would lest them sniff each other and play outside together. Then when they were a little older I would take them to a leash free park, but I don't 100% trust or like them because of other people's aggressive or mean dogs, and also some people are ignorant and don't clean up after their pets and they or you step in the poop. I also worry about parasites or diseases they can pick up in the park. You can try a pet daycare or pet play at places like Petsmart, where you can drop them off for a few hours a day for play and socialization. It is supervised and they get playtime and exercise. My guys have each other to play with, so they always have company. Maybe you can get him a brother or a sister?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Has he been to puppy training? That is where I start w/my dogs… but fortunately both my dogs came from homes that had other dogs around so I think that helps them understand "pack" rules.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
He has been to puppy training. I try to socialize him with other dogs as much as possible, but he doesn't have a consistent playmate in the area. The big dogs are ok with him, but all the little ones tend toward aggression.

Ultimately, I think that we will get him a brother or sister but now is not the right time. Additionally I haven't found a doggy daycare that will take intact males. Which in turn may be a cause of other dogs' aggression towards him.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
He has been to puppy training. I try to socialize him with other dogs as much as possible, but he doesn't have a consistent playmate in the area. The big dogs are ok with him, but all the little ones tend toward aggression.

Ultimately, I think that we will get him a brother or sister but now is not the right time. Additionally I haven't found a doggy daycare that will take intact males. Which in turn may be a cause of other dogs' aggression towards him.

Little dogs can be more aggressive IMO and the fact that he is intact… I have also heard that because of the way that bullies breathe, other dogs take that as a sign of "growling" and that can cause issues. I hate dog parks and avoid them like the plague, but maybe you can find some doggie friends that will meet you in a mutual place so that you can have supervised play dates.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Bullies show no fear and get right up to another dog. Most other dogs have a more cautious way of approaching,and a sniff or two first. I agree,too,that the sounds they make may be misinterpreted by other dogs. I really think that it is the fearless approach that makes other dogs not trust them. They just think everybody loves them:hug:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How can I help him greet other dogs? When he goes to another dog he stands still right next to their face. I think it is too dominant or assertive for other dogs.

This is a challenge to a dog... if they are standing next to each other side by side and the face is even up -- that is a challenge and the other dog is reacting to that stance. It might be good to either attend a training session or have a trainer come to your home and give you some pointers on how to read his body language.

As others have stated, some dogs just do not take well to the bully breeds due to sounds and look (breathing heavy, snorting, short muzzle)... even after working at a dog daycare for 4+ years I still avoid dog parks at all costs.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
No dog parks here-but I wouldn't take a chance on hurt/or germs. :no:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.