Real Name
    John DeVeaux
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jupiter
    Likes (Received)

Question Feeding

So we will bringing our baby home this weekend and something dawned on me after reading through tons of posts that never clicked while reading books.

We already have 3 dogs all small and we have always been able to leave food down for them, only putting down a set amount in the morning and set amount in the evening, and we've never had any issues with them being voracious eaters.

I'm not really concerned about the first few months of puppy stage since we crate train and until our new baby is fully trained she'll always be in her crate when we are not watching her, but she'll eventually earn her freedoms.

So now for the question: Have any of you had success with bulldogs just eating their fill and being able to just leave food in the bowl or ignore that extra bowl sitting out for another dog?

Our other girls are rescues 2 chihuahua's and a plot hound mix that is still a bit of a puppy.

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Feeding

Quote Originally Posted by John Louis DeVeaux View Post
    So we will bringing our baby home this weekend and something dawned on me after reading through tons of posts that never clicked while reading books.

We already have 3 dogs all small and we have always been able to leave food down for them, only putting down a set amount in the morning and set amount in the evening, and we've never had any issues with them being voracious eaters.

I'm not really concerned about the first few months of puppy stage since we crate train and until our new baby is fully trained she'll always be in her crate when we are not watching her, but she'll eventually earn her freedoms.

So now for the question: Have any of you had success with bulldogs just eating their fill and being able to just leave food in the bowl or ignore that extra bowl sitting out for another dog?

Our other girls are rescues 2 chihuahua's and a plot hound mix that is still a bit of a puppy.
    We could free feed Sheldon but it's how he was raised we have had him since he was a puppy and I trained him but when we got Maddie we couldn't free feed because she will devour everything whether she is hungry or not.

Sheldon&Maddie's Mommy

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

3. Likes jdeveaux, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bully Buttler Become a 4 Paw Member jdeveaux's Avatar
    Real Name
    John DeVeaux
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jupiter
    Likes (Received)

So it may come down to one part training and the rest will just depend on Jupiter. (our baby) She may merge in or be the rebel and make us retrain the rest of the dogs

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I don't know any Bullies that don't inhale and devour their food, and anything else in their path. Lol.
    I have two that are siblings and litter mates and they are very food motivated. They whine when I am making their food, then they inhale it, then if I don't put the cat food up, they will run for the cat food, and then they will run for the dog food bin. I have to turn the bin into the wall, since Blossom can open the lid with her nose and then will dive in head first and try to eat her way to the bottom. Lol. They are Bully Goats.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member CCandMurray's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Adorabull bully goats Murray can also double as a vacuum cleaner and dish pretreater at times haha. Good luck! They keep you on your toes but are so worth it!

7. Likes jdeveaux, mybrindlegirl liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

If, for some reason, my dog's food was down and they didn't eat it, I would panic, and be straight to the Vet. They are foodaholics!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Mine is very food motivated. She would eat non stop until she exploded if I let her
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Louis DeVeaux View Post

No never had much luck that way , now to different degree,s depending on the personality of the Bulldog for me .
    Tilly always ate what was put down for her and pretty well left everyone else alone, Diva was the same pretty well , Rosie as a almost now 7 month old has been corrected by the rest a few times to leave there bowls alone , when it is put down all manners go out the window she gobbles the food and will look for more , i am feeding correctly she get the proper amount and is fed 3 times a day . I have other dogs here also 5 total up until recently all saves , they eat there share and will if one leaves food in there bowl eat it also , remember with dogs that are saves most times they were not fed regular if at all but will find food even garbage to consume hungger is what it is and even tho they are getting regular feeding's now that instinct to consume and food around is still very much there , Odin came from a situation like that , he will break into the cupboard and get into the garbage also Odin can open the fridge door ( something to see that is ) and all lower cupboard doors .
    My suggestion is feed in different rooms until you see what you have dog wise
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Willow was free fed before we got her, and I stopped that right away!!! She gobbles her food down, and I'm shocked she didn't choke to death before… I feed her on a 3 times a day schedule, and Wally gets fed twice a day.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

My boys are not free fed. First off, they have to be fed separately because Brutus is food aggressive.That being said, they would be as big a beach balls and would eat until they were sick. Case in point, last night Frankie was fed his dinner, and continued to whine and cry for three hours after trying to convince me he was starving. I even gave him a cut up apple and it didnt not help. Finally I just ignored his patheticness the best I could.
    My smooshy face boy!

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

By the way, I love the coolie pic!!
    My smooshy face boy!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    Mine is very food motivated. She would eat non stop until she exploded if I let her
    my two are the same way.... it hits the floor or their bowl it is being inhaled
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads