jdeveaux

Bully Buttler
Jan 12, 2016
Sugar Land, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jupiter
So we will bringing our baby home this weekend and something dawned on me after reading through tons of posts that never clicked while reading books.

We already have 3 dogs all small and we have always been able to leave food down for them, only putting down a set amount in the morning and set amount in the evening, and we've never had any issues with them being voracious eaters.

I'm not really concerned about the first few months of puppy stage since we crate train and until our new baby is fully trained she'll always be in her crate when we are not watching her, but she'll eventually earn her freedoms.

So now for the question: Have any of you had success with bulldogs just eating their fill and being able to just leave food in the bowl or ignore that extra bowl sitting out for another dog?

Our other girls are rescues 2 chihuahua's and a plot hound mix that is still a bit of a puppy.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
So we will bringing our baby home this weekend and something dawned on me after reading through tons of posts that never clicked while reading books.

We already have 3 dogs all small and we have always been able to leave food down for them, only putting down a set amount in the morning and set amount in the evening, and we've never had any issues with them being voracious eaters.

I'm not really concerned about the first few months of puppy stage since we crate train and until our new baby is fully trained she'll always be in her crate when we are not watching her, but she'll eventually earn her freedoms.

So now for the question: Have any of you had success with bulldogs just eating their fill and being able to just leave food in the bowl or ignore that extra bowl sitting out for another dog?

Our other girls are rescues 2 chihuahua's and a plot hound mix that is still a bit of a puppy.
We could free feed Sheldon but it's how he was raised we have had him since he was a puppy and I trained him but when we got Maddie we couldn't free feed because she will devour everything whether she is hungry or not.

Sheldon&Maddie's Mommy

OP
jdeveaux

jdeveaux

Bully Buttler
Jan 12, 2016
Sugar Land, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jupiter
So it may come down to one part training and the rest will just depend on Jupiter. (our baby) She may merge in or be the rebel and make us retrain the rest of the dogs :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't know any Bullies that don't inhale and devour their food, and anything else in their path. Lol.
I have two that are siblings and litter mates and they are very food motivated. They whine when I am making their food, then they inhale it, then if I don't put the cat food up, they will run for the cat food, and then they will run for the dog food bin. I have to turn the bin into the wall, since Blossom can open the lid with her nose and then will dive in head first and try to eat her way to the bottom. Lol. They are Bully Goats.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Adorabull bully goats :) Murray can also double as a vacuum cleaner and dish pretreater at times haha. Good luck! They keep you on your toes but are so worth it!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If, for some reason, my dog's food was down and they didn't eat it, I would panic, and be straight to the Vet. They are foodaholics!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Mine is very food motivated. She would eat non stop until she exploded if I let her

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,

No never had much luck that way , now to different degree,s depending on the personality of the Bulldog for me .
Tilly always ate what was put down for her and pretty well left everyone else alone, Diva was the same pretty well , Rosie as a almost now 7 month old has been corrected by the rest a few times to leave there bowls alone , when it is put down all manners go out the window she gobbles the food and will look for more , i am feeding correctly she get the proper amount and is fed 3 times a day . I have other dogs here also 5 total up until recently all saves , they eat there share and will if one leaves food in there bowl eat it also , remember with dogs that are saves most times they were not fed regular if at all but will find food even garbage to consume hungger is what it is and even tho they are getting regular feeding's now that instinct to consume and food around is still very much there , Odin came from a situation like that , he will break into the cupboard and get into the garbage also Odin can open the fridge door ( something to see that is ) and all lower cupboard doors .
My suggestion is feed in different rooms until you see what you have dog wise

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Willow was free fed before we got her, and I stopped that right away!!! She gobbles her food down, and I'm shocked she didn't choke to death before… I feed her on a 3 times a day schedule, and Wally gets fed twice a day.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
My boys are not free fed. First off, they have to be fed separately because Brutus is food aggressive.That being said, they would be as big a beach balls and would eat until they were sick. Case in point, last night Frankie was fed his dinner, and continued to whine and cry for three hours after trying to convince me he was starving. I even gave him a cut up apple and it didnt not help. Finally I just ignored his patheticness the best I could.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Mine is very food motivated. She would eat non stop until she exploded if I let her

my two are the same way.... it hits the floor or their bowl it is being inhaled

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.