Chewing the couch!!!

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
So I have an older couch in the living room and am not in a position to buy a new one at the moment but it seems as though lately Murray has decided to take it upon himself to chew at it and rip the cover/parts of the stuffing little by little more and more lately. I've tried bitter Apple spray but it doesn't seem to deter him :( has anyone been through this or a similar situation? I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks so much :)

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
maybe try using a blanket to cover it??? be careful with him chewing.. a friend of mine had a dog that did that and ate the foam from the cushions.. and it did not end well... sorry to say.. i guess the foam cause major problems and he didn't make it.. that scares me with my dogs toys with stuffing in them ever since that happened.. please watch out..

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
For Murray's own safety, you may have to crate him when you are not home. I remember [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] being very creative with duck tape! But Murray may eat the tape,too
You may not want to crate him [MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION] but it may save his life!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
So I have an older couch in the living room and am not in a position to buy a new one at the moment but it seems as though lately Murray has decided to take it upon himself to chew at it and rip the cover/parts of the stuffing little by little more and more lately. I've tried bitter Apple spray but it doesn't seem to deter him :( has anyone been through this or a similar situation? I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks so much :)

I can tell you that [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] is an expert at upholstery repair. I believe her Finn is a culprit at doing the same thing on occasion.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
That is a hard one to stop, I agree w/the gang crate him if you are not home!!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
For Murray's own safety, you may have to crate him when you are not home. I remember @cali baker being very creative with duck tape!!

I can tell you that @cali baker is an expert at upholstery repair. I believe her Finn is a culprit at doing the same thing on occasion.

Thanks Lynn and Roger! :smoochwink:

Duct tape works like magic! but Carolyn, make sure you use the most fashionable duct tape you can find; I got mine with a Parisian flare to it :) ducttape.jpg

duct2.jpg

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Thanks for the advice all! I did try covering it with a blanket today and tucking the blanket in so he shouldn't be able to get through it, hopefully!! *fingers crossed*. If that doesn't work out then I'll go back to a crate or try getting something to section off the room so he can't be near it! I'll let you know how it all works out!

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Punk chewed up a leather sofa and love seat, 6 pairs of leather shoes - she is finally not chewing - 6 years old. :whew:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I had this problem with FTSE but not with the lounge thank god but if our wooden furniture he destroyed the rungs of our bar, dining room chairs and coffee table and not forgetting the whole in the wall I still have not replaced the chairs not that he chews any more well he wouldn't want to at age 4 but I tried everything sprays, vinegar, smacks etc nothing stopped him he just had to grow out of it and I admit this was the worst period of having him as he would also try those sharp little teeth on my feet and legs ripped numerous pj pants.

How old is Murray Carolyn? I used to put FTSE in the garage when I went to work it is part of the house and completely empty and he had no wood to chew on in there as a few times the little bugger choked on the wood and I had to clear it out of his mouth I was so worried I would come home and find him choked to death.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Julie, Murray is 9 months old today! I ended up tucking a couple of blankets into the couch and it seems like he left it alone. I definitely will try the fashion forward duct tape thank you [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] and [MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] :) it's weird, Murray had gone through the chewing phase when he was younger but he seemed to have grown out of it for the most part. I have a car port but it's outside and doesn't have doors or heat so unfortunately that wouldn't work :( when he was younger he chewed the corner and knobs off of our wooden coffee table but he's stopped doing that a few months ago. I'm thinking maybe he just sees the hanging thread and thinks it's a toy?

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Julie, Murray is 9 months old today! I ended up tucking a couple of blankets into the couch and it seems like he left it alone. I definitely will try the fashion forward duct tape thank you @calibaker and [MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] :) it's weird, Murray had gone through the chewing phase when he was younger but he seemed to have grown out of it for the most part. I have a car port but it's outside and doesn't have doors or heat so unfortunately that wouldn't work :( when he was younger he chewed the corner and knobs off of our wooden coffee table but he's stopped doing that a few months ago. I'm thinking maybe he just sees the hanging thread and thinks it's a toy?

I know FTSE chewed for quite a while, I thought he stopped and then he started again maybe the crating is an idea if he continues for his own safety I really need to buy a new dining suite thanks to FTSE but keep putting it off still worries me in case he chews again but surely well and truly over it at four unless he is a bigger brat than I see

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Well now! My girls have chewed, destroyed, played tug of war; you name it, they have done it with the furniture. I love them and just had to except we have no furniture in our livingroom except a metal framed outside loveseat and three recliners plus they have their crates in the event we need to crate them when they are unsupervised. It seems when they run in pairs I have twice as much destruction so I got rid of the other furniture and have folding chairs for company :w00t::w00t::rofl::rofl:. Seriously, I have learned furniture is a bit overrated so why put myself through buying new stuff for the destruction queens to "fit" it to their likings. We got this....our needs are simple these days: mops, dust mops, wooden floors and tile, three recliners, small outdoor furniture with cushions up just in case we want to use them for company, china closets have all the good stuff locked down inside them because we have cats that break things, my house is almost pet proof at this point. :rofl::rofl:Who needs a shower curtain? They just become sails for Amber to rip off and go flying down the hallway, child gates keep her from stealing the blankets off the bed......hehe......4 years living with a bully and I got this now...(well, at least until they figure out something new and exciting.) Yeap, traded the curtains for wooden blinds and electric roll down window covers because Amber ate holes through the curtains to see outside. My point, love your bully endlessly. Forget about the furniture and figure out how to make it work (mine havent destroyed the metal framed furniture yet). Hehe, when it was Christmas we were looking at Amber and Ruby sleeping and I think their Night Before Christmas poem went something like this:

The Grinch That Stole My bed
It was the night before Christmas, And all through the house, Not a bed available; not even the couch. The cushions were hung, on a hook in the wall, because Amber and Ruby, used them like footballs.Their stockings were hung, in the doorway with care, In hopes that St. Nick would put a bed there.

Gook Luck on the battle of the couch, or bed, or anything else!!

Last edited:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=5404]dalmatina38[/MENTION] :rofl: sounds just like home!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Rosie is / was chewing our custom made pine furniture, we also used Bitter apple great product but they seem to like it after a bit go figure . I have tried to get a pic of the new product we are using now , not sure you can get it in the US but maybe Amazon will carry , We love all there product lines so far , Rosie does not like the taste but seems to as i said got used too Bitter apple , worth a look see for you

003.jpg002.jpg001.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.