Increased barking

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
So a week or so ago when my oldest daughter (almost 16) was walking Tiberius a dog - from her description a German Shepard - ran out of a house jumping through the screen door and tried to attack them - Ty went on guard until the owner came out and pulled the other dog off - Thankfully nobody or dog was injured.

So ever since then my normally quiet bully has been barking at Everything and I mean everything (not us) - goes to the window by the couch and just barks and growls at whatever is out there - usually nothing. Is it just a reaction that will subside or something else? He also will pull away from that house when every we go by - it's on our block so hard to just avoid when going for walks.

Thanks
f8ec76aca4806b2b2a0f0fd6a5141d54.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds like he really remembers that as a bad experience. Now he is warning all ahead of time-just in case! A German Shepherd with that attitude can sure do a lot of damage,
if he gets to your daughter and/or Tiberious,especially since he went through the door even. I would walk the opposite way,as far as you can, then turn around and come back the same way. I would be going out of my way to avoid that dog. I have had GS dogs,they are some of the most naturally protective dog breeds. I would worry for my dogs,they may not hurt your daughter,but sounds like he wants your dog. Just my opinion [MENTION=14543]ldenne[/MENTION]

OP
ldenne

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
Thanks Manydog we try to avoid the house if we can, but it's like 5 houses down from us - we have fairly little blocks. I'm thinking they are new to the area or the dog is new to them because we haven't seen it before. We have a neighbor two doors down with a Shepard and he is pretty territorial of his yard but always stays in the backyard. I'm hoping he calms eventually as time goes by in just glad he has a deeper quieter bark not a yippie one 😊. This experience has definitely increased is need to be territorial over our yard and house.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There is a stranger in his neighborhood and he is on watch ---- how is he doing now?

OP
ldenne

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
He definitely is more protective in general. He is still barking but slightly less - more will walk around the living room barking - not loudly mind you just enough you can hear him. If he hears anything outside he runs to window and looks out barking.

OP
ldenne

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] An Update - he is more protective - I took him out more this weekend and he is now barking and growling at people he has never had a problem with before - ex. Our neighbor is almost always outside smoking and when I took him out Ty went barking growling and pulling on the leash like he has never done before.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Are you anticipating this behavior from him? If yes, that is the reason-- he senses your anxiety and feels he needs to protect you --- be confident and relax... He will settle down

OP
ldenne

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
No I totally didn't expect it especially with our neighbor who I've talked with while having him out with me before without problems. But I will keep it in mind in case I'm doing it unconsciously.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No I totally didn't expect it especially with our neighbor who I've talked with while having him out with me before without problems. But I will keep it in mind in case I'm doing it unconsciously.

this is usually the problem.... 'unconsciously' -- it is not something we realize we are doing .... good luck

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
We had a small issue with this, although I think [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] has a point when she wonders if Tiberius is sensing some anxiety from the people around him brought on by his erratic behavior - it can be a vicious cycle.

Anyway, it sounds kind of off the wall, but we actually went to the vet for this because our bully Truman seemed almost constantly "on guard" and was doing a lot of barking after we moved cross country. Our vet recommended trying Composure, which is an chewy treat you can buy online. With a bit of patience and regular use, it worked like a charm and the event that caused Truman's anxiety (in this case a move, in your case, a confrontation with another animal) was put behind us after about a month.

Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.