leash walking problem

EnglishLove

Nov 15, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilma
Our bulldog will walk from our right side to the left side and then back to the right side, often requiring us to swing the leash around us to accomodate her. She does pull as well, and we got the julius harness, but she is still too small for the size that we bought. I would like to correct her from switching from right side to left side so often.

Any help would be appreciated.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Make your leash short enough,to keep her at your left side,and tell her "heel". If she tries to cross in front of you, push her back to the side with your foot. If she pulls, I would put a temporary harness on her that fits,so she is not pulling on her neck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Make your leash short enough,to keep her at your left side,and tell her "heel". If she tries to cross in front of you, push her back to the side with your foot. If she pulls, I would put a temporary harness on her that fits,so she is not pulling on her neck.

:goodpost:

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
How old is she? This may sound strange, but what worked w/me, apart from Bass being young, was the click sound of the first leash we had…I also made it short and on the left as Lynn mentioned just in-case we were going to "show" him…every stop and start I clicked the leash. It worked for him, but like I said, he was pretty young, not sure if that made the difference. Lynn gave excellent advice!!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
As you can guess, walking our bullmastiffs was a nightmare when they were young. Keep the leash short enough for control on the left. The easy-leader harnesses work beautifully. A trick we used when they started to pull is to turn and walk in the direction we came. It frustrated them because we were walking away from where they wanted to go. There were times I literally walked in circles! But they soon got the idea that if they wanted to get to the thing that they saw, they would have to walk nice. Our command was "easy!" I could walk Norton, my beautiful gentle giant, on a very thin show lead.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.