EnglishLove

Nov 15, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilma
Our english bulldog gets so extremely excited when she meets a stranger that she starts pulling so hard and is not redirectable. I often have to pick her up and take her away but this is not correcting the behavior. I will kneel down behind her and hold her by the collar with my hands and ask her to sit but this does not seem to be solving the problem. If she were to be let go, she would jump on the stranger. Similarly, when she meets another dog, she will get over excited that often our leash gets tangled up with the other owner's leash.
Does anyone have advice on what to do?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
if you are working with her at home on sit/stay commands and treats as rewards do the same thing while on lead. And make sure the humns do not touch her till she settles down an you say it is OK to pet her ---- this is a hard one as it takes LOTS of patience

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
have you tried a water gun, when the dog looses control just give a few sprays in the face and say NO in a commanding voice :D

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
Our english bulldog gets so extremely excited when she meets a stranger that she starts pulling so hard and is not redirectable. I often have to pick her up and take her away but this is not correcting the behavior. I will kneel down behind her and hold her by the collar with my hands and ask her to sit but this does not seem to be solving the problem. If she were to be let go, she would jump on the stranger. Similarly, when she meets another dog, she will get over excited that often our leash gets tangled up with the other owner's leash.
Does anyone have advice on what to do?

story of my everyday life with Big! =)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree with Christine, carry treats and as soon as she starts pulling, make her go into a sit and stay and treat when she listens. Do this each time she gets excited. I usually will put them into a sit/stay/down, as this really reinforces the fact that I do not want them to jump. She will get it, it just takes lots and lots and lots of reinforcing rules. Good luck

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.