Dog House

Intojoy

Dec 14, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Does anyone have bullies that live outdoors?

I'd like to get one of these dogs and I'm reading up to see if I'm a good candidate to take one in.

My home has a big back yard and I live in Hawaii where temperatures at my house get down to 60 at night and during the day is in the 70's.

Thanks for any input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KatieToth

Julius-K9 Sales Representative
Jun 7, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Noah Jack
My dogs spent lots time outside in the summertime because it is beautiful here in Michigan, however winter is pretty chilly, so I keep them inside at all times, besides potty breaks and some fun outside. I think most of these dogs are for inside, where they can have lots attention. Especially the first few moths.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Hey there, I saw your flower picture in your last post, very pretty. To answer your question, I consider my bulldog an "indoor" dog. I live in a climate where weather can be extreme at times, not to say he doesn't enjoy the outdoors - and he goes on most car trips too..but I don't leave him outside - ever. I am super impressed w/west coast bullies though, surfing and such…so maybe a more experienced owner can shed some light on the out-doorsie side of it. Maybe talk with [MENTION=15086]Tunabulldog[/MENTION]

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'll have to be honest & say that this breed is definitely an indoor breed.

Bullies are prone to allergies, skin issues, and being an outdoor dog wouldn't help with that.

Any reason why they couldn't be an indoor dog? If your heart is set on an outdoor dog, I'd maybe check out some other breeds, non Brachycephalic breed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi --bulldogs are definitely not an outdoor breed, they can overheat very quickly even in lower temperatures. They are not good at regulating themselves and can get heart stroke very quickly Other breeds that fit that description would be Pug, French Bulldog, some Boxers.

Many good article here to help you get informed and decide if a Bully is right for you

English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog Information Center

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I agree. I would never leave a bully (or any dog for that matter) outside but especially bulldogs. There is always the possibility of theft too. That happens all too often unfortunately as they are desirable dogs.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I have to agree with the others. English Bulldogs are not outside dogs. Not only do they not tolerate heat and cold well, but they don't thrive when they are not around their people all the time. I've been to Hawaii in the summer and it gets too hot to leave a bully outside. And this may just be me, but I don't believe any breed of dog should stay in the backyard all the time. All dogs are social animals and need to be inside/outside with their people. IMHO. [MENTION=15195]Intojoy[/MENTION]

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have to agree with the others. English Bulldogs are not outside dogs. Not only do they not tolerate heat and cold well, but they don't thrive when they are not around their people all the time. I've been to Hawaii in the summer and it gets too hot to leave a bully outside. And this may just be me, but I don't believe any breed of dog should stay in the backyard all the time. All dogs are social animals and need to be inside/outside with their people. IMHO. @Intojoy

Why even get a dog if you are going to leave him outside?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Well, outdoor dogs are mainly working dogs, like guard dogs or hunting dogs, are they not? Bulldogs, as stated above, are very social dogs and want to stay close to their humans, even sleep in the same room.

The only outdoor bulldog I know of is Pluto's enemy in Disney's Mickey Mouse comics!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Bulldogs are inside, family dogs. They are the most social loving breed I have ever had. They would long to be with the family and would not understand why they are left outside. They physically crave human touch and attention. I don't think a bulldog is for you.

Members online

No members online now.