Trying to escape yard

shelbers00

Dec 9, 2015
Oregon
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
We just moved into a new house, and the fence wasn't in the best of shape but we patch it up really well so Herc couldn't get out. Well, Herc likes to go out and stand right at the neighbors fence and bark at their wonderful deer lawn figures that he can see right through the fence. Now this morning I went to go bring him in and he was literally pulling the fence patches we had put up down. He had the chain link in his mouth and was ripping it off the post it was stapled to. I am at a loss of what to do to get him to stop trying to escape and tear apart the fence. Help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A few things come to mind, but it depends on how much time you have to be out with him and train him.

You could stay with him for periods of time and train him that the fence is 'yours' and he is not to touch it -- lots of time and work, but will be worth it (we did this with all our pups for our garden so they do not go near it anymore.... took a few weeks of work, but for the most part we have no concerns)

get a long lead/leash and attach it to a clothes line or some type of tie down so while he is out and you are not with him he can not reach the fence.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Don't really have any advice. Luckily mine don't spend too much time outside, but look:
@shelburs00
image.jpeg
Watching the next door neighbor's!

OP
shelbers00

shelbers00

Dec 9, 2015
Oregon
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Don't really have any advice. Luckily mine don't spend too much time outside, but look:
@shelburs00
View attachment 94086
Watching the next door neighbor's!

HAHA Ya Herc doesn't either with the weather right now, just let him out in the mornings and in the evenings really. But I don't want to be that neighbor with an annoying barking dog and one that goes on adventures into neighbors yards. But once a bulldog gets an idea in their head they wont stop till its accomplished. My boyfriend and I always joke Herc has the mission impossible theme song playing in his head lol

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
shelbers00

shelbers00

Dec 9, 2015
Oregon
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
A few things come to mind, but it depends on how much time you have to be out with him and train him.

You could stay with him for periods of time and train him that the fence is 'yours' and he is not to touch it -- lots of time and work, but will be worth it (we did this with all our pups for our garden so they do not go near it anymore.... took a few weeks of work, but for the most part we have no concerns)

get a long lead/leash and attach it to a clothes line or some type of tie down so while he is out and you are not with him he can not reach the fence.

How did you train them that that is "yours"? I am willing to put in the work right now so when he is out there more during the spring and summer he isn't a nuisance.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How did you train them that that is "yours"? I am willing to put in the work right now so when he is out there more during the spring and summer he isn't a nuisance.

Remove them from the area with a firm 'leave it'.... walk in front of them and command to 'leave it' and with your body direct them away from the area. Have treats in your pocket and do it whenever he is in the space you do not want him in -- regardless of barking. and when he moves away, place him in a sit and reward the heck out of him. There are times it does not work because they are in the zone.... that is when they lose the outside privilege and are instructed to go inside -- they usually settle down pretty quick.... but it takes lots of consistency and patience on your part AND, the bigger piece every one that takes him out has to do this or he will know when he can get away with it

OP
shelbers00

shelbers00

Dec 9, 2015
Oregon
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Remove them from the area with a firm 'leave it'.... walk in front of them and command to 'leave it' and with your body direct them away from the area. Have treats in your pocket and do it whenever he is in the space you do not want him in -- regardless of barking. and when he moves away, place him in a sit and reward the heck out of him. There are times it does not work because they are in the zone.... that is when they lose the outside privilege and are instructed to go inside -- they usually settle down pretty quick.... but it takes lots of consistency and patience on your part AND, the bigger piece every one that takes him out has to do this or he will know when he can get away with it

Thank you for the advice! I am going to have to try this!

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Oh man! I feel for you [MENTION=15181]shelbers00[/MENTION] they are awfully determined little buggers!!

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online