Hercules driving me nuts

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
So we are having an issue with Hercules, he is ~8 months old and overall sore try good dog, the one real issue we have is that when we are home and want to sit on the couch and watch tv or just talk he won't stop barking and jumping and it becomes very annoying eventually. Any ideas? He's done this since he was a puppy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly
Puppies are very energetic, well in my case with my EB puppy for short periods of time say 30min to 40Min max of him wanting to do something. What i would say is tire him out play with if you can, once hes tried out he will calm down, if hes anything like mine hew will go to sleep. Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is very much a puppy and needs a lot of attention and exercise.... walks or fetch in the yard, maybe sit on the floor and play with him. As Michael stated, they last about 30-40 mins and then will pass out.

OP
K

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
I would say that's it but my wife just took him for a 35 minute walk/ run and he came back and went back to barking his head off

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would say that's it but my wife just took him for a 35 minute walk/ run and he came back and went back to barking his head off

UGH! Is he responsive to your training at all or is he a hard case? Our girl was mouthy and it was a struggle getting er to not bark for the first two years of her life.... the next 7 yrs, well, we battled and I won sometimes :)

OP
K

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Well he's kinda stubborn but I think the problem is when he was a puppy he got constant attention from everyone so now he expects that if we are in the room all eyes should be on him

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well he's kinda stubborn but I think the problem is when he was a puppy he got constant attention from everyone so now he expects that if we are in the room all eyes should be on him

Well, yeah -- he is a Bulldog attention, velcro dog, stubborn. Have you tired to totally ignore him,,,, no looking at him, no words? Do you use 'Nothing in Life is Free' training with him?

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Give him a bone marrow. Bass does this almost every night when my husband is ready to settle down. I had to stop the marrow because it was bringing out his aggressive side…but that would distract him from anything…even the cat :sarcastic:

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
Give him a bone marrow. Bass does this almost every night when my husband is ready to settle down. I had to stop the marrow because it was bringing out his aggressive side…but that would distract him from anything…even the cat :sarcastic:

That's exactly what I do. I get the bone marrow bones that are cut lengthwise and he loves them!!
It gives them a good snack and definitely tires them out.

Every once and a while he will look up to make sure we are still there but other than that he's good for an hour or two.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Give him a juicy bone. We have a BBQ place we visit and they sell beef bones for pets from their cooking, all safe. We eat there and buy a minimum of two packs of bones. When we give Canelo a bone it occupies him for hours, and days, lol.

When Canelo was a puppy, we played lots of tug of war with ropes, it exhausted him quickly too. The bonus, we got a great arm work out, lol.

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Charlie is no different at eight months. Were lucky enough that he's not barking but he's non stop from the moment he wakes until he crashes....he is an attention whore, we've enabled it and its fun up to a certain point then it becomes overwhelming at times.

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Charlie is no different at eight months. Were lucky enough that he's not barking but he's non stop from the moment he wakes until he crashes....he is an attention whore, we've enabled it and its fun up to a certain point then it becomes overwhelming at times.

Both my guys. From am to pm. We do 4 miles a day, not enough. I try to actively play games or mentally tire them out also, tug o war, basic training review, etc. if we don't keep them both going, they won't let us sleep past 4:30am. Well, one of them won't.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Dudley is exactly the same! he's coming up to 12 months old, he goes out twice a day but the second i walk in the room if i have been out he runs straight for his toy and launches himself at me :D then we have a good wrestle for 15 mins or generally until I'm totally knackered (think Duds would go on playing forever!) i have to tell him "Enough now" which he usually knows means time to stop. An hour later and its time to go again though :D especially if i get the iPad out, he seems to think that is a signal for playtime too.
As some of the others have said we have found chew treats will normally distract him for a while, Dudley loves his rice bones.

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
My 10.5 yo female is VERY OCD... every night she eats, we do dishes, wife takes a shower, then we she comes out, our Bully has to have play time with Daddy.. a good 20-30 mins of fetch, tug.. she'll sit there and bark and bark and bark..

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)

Did he lose a toy under a piece of furniture? Bentley does this to us...bless his heart...he loves to play ball...that is why one of his other names is "Ball Junkie." He starts barking and I refer to him as Lassie.

Ask Herc what it is...maybe he will lead you to something good. Definitely something is amiss. Did you switch any furniture around? Bentley is our OCD boy and will bark when something is out of place.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.