Mama's Pregnant and Bulldog's Acting Out!

Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
I am 16 weeks pregnant and Mr. Chubbs also turned two a week ago. In the past two weeks Mr. Chubbs has been acting out--ruined Mama's boots 😔, chewed a marker on the carpet that won't come out, opened Christmas presents under the tree. He had free reign of the house until today.

Today we barricaded him in the kitchen/eat in with stools and he somehow pulled clean laundry through the stools to the kitchen floor.

He has been out free in the house for about a year with very few problems. Ocassional chewing, but nothing like the past two weeks.

Any suggestions? Next step is keeping him in the bathroom. I hate to crate him again, but he seems to be headed that way. And I don't want that to make him feel any other kind of way...

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
CONGRATULATIONS!!! How exciting, is this your first baby (other than Mr. Chubbs?)
He must be in tuned to you and acting out…does he go to a doggie camp? That may help relieve your stress a little and keep him distracted. Being pregnant and dealing w/a toddler/tweenage pup - holy moly Mama my heart is w/you xo

Miss Charlotte

Jan 31, 2015
Elizabeth,NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlotte
I also had a puppy while pregnant....and a newborn, that's a whole other post and story, anyhow charlotte was very in tune and required extra extra exercise and attention. Not sure if they sense out hormones or our emotions or both but they do.
We bought a very large movable baby gate, it's 6 panels and self standing so super versatile and pretty too- trust me you'll need this for later anyway- that allowed us to give her time outs but not necessarily crate her.
Exercise lots and lots of exercise
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I don't have any advice with the behavior but I do for the carpet. Try mean green. I've never used it on carpet but it will take permanent marker out of clothes. Good luck

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I think they can definitely sense the hormones! when frank was around my pregnant sister-in-law, he was acting out like I had never seen before and had a very mischievous look in his eyes. good thing I don't want kids - bullies are enough work haha

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am 16 weeks pregnant and Mr. Chubbs also turned two a week ago. In the past two weeks Mr. Chubbs has been acting out--ruined Mama's boots , chewed a marker on the carpet that won't come out, opened Christmas presents under the tree. He had free reign of the house until today.

Today we barricaded him in the kitchen/eat in with stools and he somehow pulled clean laundry through the stools to the kitchen floor.

He has been out free in the house for about a year with very few problems. Ocassional chewing, but nothing like the past two weeks.

Any suggestions? Next step is keeping him in the bathroom. I hate to crate him again, but he seems to be headed that way. And I don't want that to make him feel any other kind of way...

He is in the terrible two stage..... go back to basics with him --- he is also sensing the change in you and will try to take advantage of it. You need to let him know you are still in charge and his behavior is out of line.... he should work for everything and be crated when you are not at home. Do not crate as a punishment, it has the reverse effect on them -- just let him know with a FIRM no, what he is doing is not acceptable.

Nothing in life is free is a great training tool and very easy to use

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Christine hit the nail on the head! Mr. Chubbs is in the Wonderful stage of terrible two's :fie: It is like having a puppy all over again. They seem to "forget" their training and need lots and lots of exercise to tire them out. Don't worry it will eventuall pass, and then your will have the baby to deal with :faint::nervous:lol Congrats on you expected bundle of joy!

OP
Mcleanb7

Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
Thanks everyone! We have been trying him in the bathroom the last few days, seems to be working for him. Not much trouble he can get into there. I've been trying to get him out on walks for weight loss purposes, so I'll keep trying that too!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Thanks everyone! We have been trying him in the bathroom the last few days, seems to be working for him. Not much trouble he can get into there. I've been trying to get him out on walks for weight loss purposes, so I'll keep trying that too!
just a side thought…once you get to your third trimester, if you're uncomfortable and tired and need to rest, maybe consider hiring a dog walker to take on some of that responsibility. Mr. Chubbs will LOVE the attention and you will have some space, lol. My last pregnancy was very high risk, so I'm all about taking care of Mama!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.