Am I setting Bogey up to be a biter?

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
Bogey has been amazing since we picked him up a little over two weeks now. We are sooooo blessed with Bogey. We've bonded quite a bit over that time and just recently after being gone to work all day (about 14 hrs) he likes to play. If not with his toys with my hands. Bogey likes to play fight with me by nibbling on my fingers and hands. I don't mind as his bites are not hard at all. I will try to simulate a dog play fight by gently grabbing his neck area with my hands. He seems to enjoy it a lot as he's purring and generally excited. Yesterday he fully went on his back and I put my face right in his and clamped down on his neck. He loved it!... Don't get me wrong... When Bogey gets too excited and nibbles a little harder than usual I will pull away and say "No!" The nibbles still don't hurt at all but just want him to know where his limit is in regards to bite inhibitions.

My question is.... Am I setting him up to be a biter or has his bite inhibitions already ingrained in him? What are your experiences?

Cheers!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I would have to say yes. Any time you encourage it he sees it as a good thing even though you know he is just playing around he could do it to someone else that wouldn't take to kindly to it or he could accidentally hurt someone. Personally I would nip it in the bud and after he learns not to bite or nibble at all then you work on when the love nibbles are acceptable.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would have to say yes. Any time you encourage it he sees it as a good thing even though you know he is just playing around he could do it to someone else that wouldn't take to kindly to it or he could accidentally hurt someone. Personally I would nip it in the bud and after he learns not to bite or nibble at all then you work on when the love nibbles are acceptable.

agreed! :up:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Most definitely agree. Now is the time to teach him NOT to bite. Once he is older,and has learned that respect,then you can play rougher with him.

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
I disagree... I do the same thing with Harley.. She loves to "wrestle".. I'll get nose to nose with her on the floor and make growling sounds and when I say "on your mark... Get set..... GO!" She usually go's on "get set".. Hahaha.. But I lay on my stomach and she tries to nibble my hands and ears.. And I let her tire herself out.. (I work 12 hour days so she sleeps most the day.. She wants to play) And when she is getting serious and rough I tell her "easy.." In a firm voice.. And we keep playing.. She knows the line.. And my one year old nephew can walk up and pet her and she is just fine..

If you are consistent with the boundaries, you'll be fine..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
Thanks for all the input!!.. At 8 months old Bogey has a lot of control. All his adult teeth are set. But at this point I'll lean on the safe side. At the advice of some I did stop it and after a firm 'No' and a walk away it stopped immediately. Not once for the past 4 days has Bogey tried to go for my fingers. A little over two weeks with him and absolutely NO signs of aggression. The breeders we got him from did an amazing job in raising him for his first 8 months and we couldn't be more grateful...

OP
B

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
I disagree... I do the same thing with Harley.. She loves to "wrestle".. I'll get nose to nose with her on the floor and make growling sounds and when I say "on your mark... Get set..... GO!" She usually go's on "get set".. Hahaha.. But I lay on my stomach and she tries to nibble my hands and ears.. And I let her tire herself out.. (I work 12 hour days so she sleeps most the day.. She wants to play) And when she is getting serious and rough I tell her "easy.." In a firm voice.. And we keep playing.. She knows the line.. And my one year old nephew can walk up and pet her and she is just fine..

If you are consistent with the boundaries, you'll be fine..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly what I was thinking seeing that he's not aggressive. It's quite possible that this is on a dog to dog basis.

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
You need to draw a very strict line. Dogs in general try to push limits.
Bullies are notorious in invading personal space; they really don't seem to care about what the other being (human or animal) is feeling.
They will simply keep upping the limit if you let them.

Cheers,
Raghu

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.