need advice we got a new puppy and buddha isnt being so nice

Sep 20, 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BUDDHA JANAVARA (AWAKEN THE BEAST)
hey guys i need help so we got a new puppy ( doberman) and i know when u bring a new dog to the pack the other dogs will be dominant. and well my bulldog is doing just that the only problem is that hes being so mean! he will get on top of the puppy and (hump) but in the process he ends up scratching the puppy and hurts him. I want the puppy to find his place in the pack but i dont want him to end up hurting buddha because hes going to be way bigger than my bulldog and im scared if buddha keeps messing with him hes going to grow up and hurt buddha. when im around buddha wont throw himself on the puppy but when i leave i hear the puppy trying to get away from him because buddha is throwing himself on him. so my question is should i let them figure it out on their own or is there something i can do? the puppy is only 3months but hes already as tall as my buddha.

IMG_3612.JPG

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
I was having this issue with my bulldogs and it was making me really upset because i did not know the right thing to do.. i called my breeder because i knew she has many bulldogs and i'm sure she has had to of had this problem at one point.. she told me when i separate them that i was doing the wrong thing because like you said they have to know who is the leader in the pack is. She told me that most of the time when bulldogs get into it that it is mostly verbal and my oldest one (porkchop) had to be the one to put the youngest in her place so i did nothing next time and sure enough porkchop put my gucci to the ground and as i watched gucci gave in and did not fight back then porkchop slowly let her up.. this was fine but i still did not like them getting into it because now porkchop is older and has a limp due to arthritis and when gucci now tries to jump her the mom(abbey) comes and they both jump her.. and shes to old to fight both so i am now the pack leader.. i let them know i am the leader and if one of them just looks at each other wrong i will let them know i won't tolerate that.. my husband laughs at me sometimes when i tell abbey to be nice he says to me that abbey wasn't doing anything and i say yes she was, i seen her giving porkchop the stink eye.. he says i'm crazy but if i don't stop if before it starts then it will be a fight.. and he wonders why they listen better to me.. good luck i hope you find something that works for you..

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I always worry when it comes to raising strong breeds, especially if they are both males. I would contact a trainer (or several to get a general idea) and ask for advice. They cannot be allowed to dominate each other, eventually there will be a fight. The puppy won't fight back now since he's still so young but in a few months he'll probably not take it anymore. I would not leave them to sort it out... bulldogs are strong headed but terrible fighters, Buddha will be the one getting hurt and it doesn't take much for it to get bad:(

I've dealt with a lot of dogs not getting along since I moved to South Africa, my husband wants to save every dog in need and we have paid for that in trainer costs, vet and doctor visits. I would get on top of this before it gets out of hand.

It's also important to do the neutering at the right time as well if you plan to do that. A male dog who gets neutered early is less likely to be aggressive towards other male dogs. I would read as much as I can about it, adult males that gets neutered feels submissive cos they've lost their "manhood" and that can cause them to be attacked by other males, so it's a delicate thing to handle.

Things you can do to assert yourself as the leader is the "nothing is for free" method. Basically your dogs have to sit and wait for instructions whenever they want something (going out, being on couch/bed, treats, food etc) I have to practice it every now and then when I notice my dogs are starting to think they rule this place. They still rule but they're not aware of it then:tongue:

Good luck, they are both adorable <3

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Getting a trainer in to help is ideal. It will help during the puppy's transition and help you to manage. Those are two strong breeds (two of my favorites:D). Training the dobie will be beneficial, especially to keep Buddah safe when he's full grown. I know I'm going to LOVE these pics as they grow together!! Congrats on your new dobie!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You are going to have to take control,maybe keep a leash on Buddha(let it drag) and let him know that YOU are in charge,not him,and do not allow him to do it.Put one of them in their crate,when you are not going to be around to keep an eye out.

OP
Brenda Janeth Solano
Sep 20, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks guys ! today buddha and the puppy were sleeping together (progress right?) but i am going to start looking into a trainer. the puppy is really playfull and well buddha cant keep up. i notice today that buddha snapped on him but my concern in for buddha when the puppy gets older. i spoke to my vet and the puppy is going to get fixed as soon as he can. I dont know if it makes any difference that buddha is an indoor dog and the doberman is an outdoor dog?

OP
Brenda Janeth Solano
Sep 20, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I was having this issue with my bulldogs and it was making me really upset because i did not know the right thing to do.. i called my breeder because i knew she has many bulldogs and i'm sure she has had to of had this problem at one point.. she told me when i separate them that i was doing the wrong thing because like you said they have to know who is the leader in the pack is. She told me that most of the time when bulldogs get into it that it is mostly verbal and my oldest one (porkchop) had to be the one to put the youngest in her place so i did nothing next time and sure enough porkchop put my gucci to the ground and as i watched gucci gave in and did not fight back then porkchop slowly let her up.. this was fine but i still did not like them getting into it because now porkchop is older and has a limp due to arthritis and when gucci now tries to jump her the mom(abbey) comes and they both jump her.. and shes to old to fight both so i am now the pack leader.. i let them know i am the leader and if one of them just looks at each other wrong i will let them know i won't tolerate that.. my husband laughs at me sometimes when i tell abbey to be nice he says to me that abbey wasn't doing anything and i say yes she was, i seen her giving porkchop the stink eye.. he says i'm crazy but if i don't stop if before it starts then it will be a fight.. and he wonders why they listen better to me.. good luck i hope you find something that works for you..

i pictured it in my head :ROFL::ROFL: Im hoping it gets better between them and it seems like buddha is getting tired of chasing him around. *fingers cross*

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a beautiful pup! I LOVE the floppy ear on him!!!!

Take them for walks together -- it will help them pack and as others mentioned... make sure that Budda is aware that you are the boss and not him. It is normal what he is doing and the walks will help lessen it

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
thanks guys ! today buddha and the puppy were sleeping together (progress right?) but i am going to start looking into a trainer. the puppy is really playfull and well buddha cant keep up. i notice today that buddha snapped on him but my concern in for buddha when the puppy gets older. i spoke to my vet and the puppy is going to get fixed as soon as he can. I dont know if it makes any difference that buddha is an indoor dog and the doberman is an outdoor dog?

Outdoor dog like the Doberman puppy sleeps outside? I think I ndoor and outdoor dogs develop differently and I'd also be worried about jealousy issues of Buddha getting to be inside. I'm not super knowledgeable in the topic, but I'd recommend speaking with a trainer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am sorry, this is going to sound harsh but why is one dog going to be kept outside? That is so very unfair and how will that dog feel (being the social animal it is) when it is not included in the family and has to watch through the glass door? As Jackie says, they will develop differently so they may never get on.

I am hoping I am misunderstanding and if that is the case, then I apologize.

OP
Brenda Janeth Solano
Sep 20, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am sorry, this is going to sound harsh but why is one dog going to be kept outside? That is so very unfair and how will that dog feel (being the social animal it is) when it is not included in the family and has to watch through the glass door? As Jackie says, they will develop differently so they may never get on.

I am hoping I am misunderstanding and if that is the case, then I apologize.

technically the dobi isn't mine I rent a back house where Buddha and I live. He is the owners dog but I spend more time wth him because I live in the back house. And as far as the owners keeping him outside. My back house has a spare room that is fully furnish that they use as a guest room for their family and that's kept open for the dobi

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.