Advice please......crate/pen

Bubbles

Nov 22, 2015
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubbles (Buba) and Cammi
Could anyone advise thier puppy experience ? We are wondering if we should pen train our 12 week old or crate. The first day in the crate she pooped. In the pen she is going on the wee-wee pads. We are concerned that if we choose the pen, the puppy (Izzy, yes we changed her name for the 9th time) will not learn to hold it in ?
Thanks for your thoughts.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
i pen trained mine but i also have them trained to a litter box when they are in the pen.. they go outside when not in the pen.. i never have did the crate so im sorry i'm not much help.. maybe if you pen train but when the pup is out may sure you take it out often so it knows to go out when it needs to go. when we litter trained out pups we gradually took litter box closer to the door then out on porch until none at all and they would just go out.. they occupy our garage with their pens now and each pen has its own litter box they will use if they have to but only if they are in it.. all other times they go outside..and each pen is pretty big so they have enough room to still play with toys and have they cots.. a couple still like sleeping in their turtle sand box because they like sleeping under covers.. lol.. i will post pictures of that later.. its cute

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
She should still learn as long as you are consistent w/her potty training. We crated and pen trained - then took the pen away before six months. I only penned Bass because we had little ones and I was training him myself…it helped w/his training and behavior.

I chopped an hour off the traditional potty training guide online (if it said 4 hours, I went out w/him every 3 and so forth) also, brought his pad out-doors to help him connect bathroom w/outdoors.

I recommend crate training! It will beneficial in the future.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
crate or pen both work well, but the schedule is everything.... at this age she needs to go out every 3 hours to ensure no accidents in the house

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We did both and still use both almost 3 years later. As Christine and others have stated schedule is everything. Some get lucky and their pup catches on quickly and others it take a bit longer. Just keep to the schedule as much as posible and it will all work out.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
This is what we always do for out pups. 486377_10151336257084726_1920345443_n.jpgThe rug is thrown away afterwards....in this pic our older boy is taking care that everything is being done right for the newcomer...

They have a crate with soft bedding and a x-pen around it. A corner of the x-pen has newspapers, so if they need to go they can target that. Being in there they also don't get in the harms way and the furniture, cords etc are also safe. They also have more room than if they were confined in a crate only. They learn to love the crate and don't mind if the door is shut sometimes. As they grow up and learn to behave they gradually get free roam of the house. With my Usko that was a lot sooner than with Voitto, but now they love their crate when ever is in the house, but also behave well when left alone in the house.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
My only concern with you boy crate training is that if they ever need to be crated later -- at the vet, travel, etc, they might really hate it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online