Help Needed! Our bully is being aggressive- biting out of nowhere

hilarylogan

May 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Our bully Winnie will be 3 years old in January. He has recently(last few months) started biting my husband every time he comes near the bed. It used to just be when I was in it, but this morning he bit my husband for just walking by the bed. Last night while my husband was sleeping he lunged at him and started growling. My husband will be so nice to him and love on him then Winnie just growls, lunges, and bites him. He also attacks the door knobs EVERY DAY. They all have dents in them now. He has started to growl at everyone now, but only bites my husband. Also, if you don't play on his time he will cry, and then he just gets mad and tries to bite. I have read many mixed reviews about the vibrate collars so I haven't purchased one yet.

PS- He gets played with every single day. On lunch breaks, when we get home. He seriously plays for at least 2 hours a day. So I didn't think attention was an issue.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Are you using 'Nothing in life is Free' with him.... it is an esy training technique that helps them understand you are alpha.... it seems he is trying to dominate hubby so hubby needs to take a leadership roll with him.

Also, has there been any other changes to his behavior or eating habits? He could be in some type of pain and is lashing out at hubby when the pain hits him --- have the vet to a head to toe very through check and include the thyroid

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, he could have something going on health wise. Thyroid problems can make them aggressive. If it is behavior, problems doing it, the first thing I would do is ban him from the bed. Sleeping in the bed with you puts him on the same level as you and he will want to dominate you. Make him slepp in a crate at night. When he growls at someone tell him NO!!! If he continues, make him go to his crate. After you rule out a health problem, you may want to get a trainer in to help you with him.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
My dad and his wife had a similar issue with his Great Pyrenes awhile back. She used to sleep in the bed with them as a puppy and as she got older would get into bed before my dad and then growl at him and snap so he couldn't get in bed. She'd also police him if he got up in the middle of the night. She's super possessive of my stepmom so they had to nip it in the bud. My dad fed her, let her out to potty, no more sleeping in the bed, not even in the bedroom, until she turned her little alpha attitude around.

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
I agree, I would first, check the thyroid and then nothing in life is free and having dad feed her and walk her and make him one of her people again.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.