Help Needed! Always licking our skin

AlC2861

Nov 15, 2015
Hermitage, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
Bubba is 9.5 months old. He is doing very well in his training as far as crate, house, socialization, and traveling. We have even gotten to where he will roam/sleep freely at night. The problem is his continual licking of our skin. Day or night he always seems to want to like our skin. Can someone please explain to me the reason(s) behind this and any possible corrective action. Thank you.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some do like to lick and show affection. It could also be the soap you use, maybe it smells good to him. When I get out of the shower, Katie loves to lick my legs and feet. Just tell him NO!!! and try to redirect with a toy or chew toy.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
This is how we fixed it in our house.... First start with just a few licks and work your way up until you can withstand approximately 10 minutes. They will train you to tolerate it. Trust me, we went through the same problem. Haha

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Bo still wants to lick us all the time. We have also been trained but eventually have to say no no and redirect :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Some just enjoy doing this --- as others stated, give a firm NO with a redirect to a toy. Lambeau waits outside the shower door, licks, my leg once and then pushes past me to wait for the water drip from the shower head --- he is a little goofy that way

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Maybe you're using a particular lotion? Even soap residue will draw them in. One of my guys does this and I usually redirect if it gets bothersome ... especially when I'm sleeping! haha

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.