Would a dog walk help me with my bulldog ?

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Miss Pork chop doesn't like other dogs in her face. We started to walk with other dogs and their owners on a Saturday morning meet up walk. So far, she's done very well. She tried to lounge at a Great Dane and I had to say , no!

This group walks every Sat , since she's a bulldog and doesn't walk fast . We only go twice a month bec I am not sure if this is ideal or too much walking for her. My guess we walk 4-5 blocks from Pet store to the park and back round trip may equal 10 blocks ( round trip).

I have two concerns about too much walking for a Bulldog ? Will this help her be more dog friendly ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I would say it's probably not too much walking if it is pretty cool out. Also, I'm wondering how she walks. Winnie gets really excited and pulls on the leash, walks pretty fast. She expends a lot more energy than if she would walk nicely beside me! I take her around my block and I feel like that's enough for her, although she would like to do more. Then again, it's pretty hot in Dallas! And yes, walking with other dogs should help her get along with them better!

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would say it's probably not too much walking if it is pretty cool out. Also, I'm wondering how she walks. Winnie gets really excited and pulls on the leash, walks pretty fast. She expends a lot more energy than if she would walk nicely beside me! I take her around my block and I feel like that's enough for her, although she would like to do more. Then again, it's pretty hot in Dallas! And yes, walking with other dogs should help her get along with them better!
My girl did very well , likes to stop and sniff a lot. As far as pulling , she doesn't at all. The people are very kind to stop and wait for us to catch up. She's not a fast walker, when we get to the park, break time, and water. I carry a water bottle for her. She appears to enjoy it. We walk in the morning it's usually cool temp for her.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
My girl did very well , likes to stop and sniff a lot. As far as pulling , she doesn't at all. The people are very kind to stop and wait for us to catch up. She's not a fast walker, when we get to the park, break time, and water. I carry a water bottle for her. She appears to enjoy it. We walk in the morning it's usually cool temp for her.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Then I wouldn't worry about her walking that distance at all! I wish Winnie would walk like Miss Pork Chop!

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Then I wouldn't worry about her walking that distance at all! I wish Winnie would walk like Miss Pork Chop!

I didn't know how far is too far. She does pant along the way. She keeps on going , until we get a break. I used to have the alpha issue with PC. We still do time to time. Be firm with Winnie, hope she will lessen the pulling. They are work , but oh so worth it. PC is a rescue, it will be two years gotcha anniversary December 14 th :) Best to you and Winnie on the leash :)

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
my porkchop doesn't do well around other dogs that shes not use to... she never use to be like this until she had a litter of pups.. when we do walks its usually in a field in out back yard where there isn't any traffic or other dogs.. just in case..

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
my porkchop doesn't do well around other dogs that shes not use to... she never use to be like this until she had a litter of pups.. when we do walks its usually in a field in out back yard where there isn't any traffic or other dogs.. just in case..

Nice to meet another Porkchop girl. Most people think she's a boy. I am working with her, she's come a long ways. If she's not 100% sociable , I am good . Nothing , I wouldn't do to her is force her into it. Walking is fine , it distracts her from lounging. She's just a diva type dog lol

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Daily walking and exercise are required for bulldogs.
Start with 10 mins then on to 20 mins and then 30 mins a day.
Split if your dog gets tired. Early morning and late evenings are better.

Tugging and lunging will stop once your dog settles into a routine.
This behavior is due to over excitement in a new or rare situation.
Once it becomes a daily routine, they will walk by your side at your pace.
Keep on leash while walking or socializing; this way you can correct any unwanted behavior.

I have a 14 month bulldog who loves her morning routine.
- 5:15 am wake up and get ready for "school"
- 5:30 am leave home
- 5:45 am reach training school ground
- 5:45 am to 6:00 am play with other dogs (off leash free play; it can get quite rowdy at times as she is with bigger dogs; mostly labs and rotties)
- 6:00 am to 6:30 am walk along with me on leash at my pace (she has to walk and stop in tandem; I am in control 90% of the time)
- 6:30 am to 6:45 am chill out
- 7:00 am reach home
- 7:15 am done with paw and jaw wiping session
- go to sleep or trouble the older boxer at home
- 9:30 am chow time

During the rest of the morning and afternoon, she is snoozing or snoring away to heaven. Very alert though when someone goes into the kitchen or opens the fruit basket :)
An hour after dinner (between 9:00 pm and 9:30 pm) she does about 3-4 rounds in our apartment complex; roughly 1 mile of relaxed walking.

Below are some pics of her at training with her trainer. After the first couple of weeks, I gained confidence and took over the handling.

Cheers,
Raghu

Attachments

• IMG_20151017_061133125_sm.jpg
    IMG_20151017_061133125_sm.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20151017_061143016_sm.jpg
    IMG_20151017_061143016_sm.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20151017_070502601_sm.jpg
    IMG_20151017_070502601_sm.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 111