Help Needed! New issues w/the Wallygator...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
As most of you know, it's been craziness at my house the last week… and I haven't spent as much time w/Wally as I normally do. In the past week, Wally has lunged at 3 of us… every time it's been later at night (after 6pm) and he's been asleep either on the chair or couch. He starts a warning growl, and then lunges out… he did it first to Lily, then to me 2 nights ago and last night he lunged at Ray. He hasn't bit any of us, just a lunge then he realizes what's happened and he jumps down. I took him to the vet this morning, because I saw Marcus lean on his back hips the other day so I was thinking that maybe he had hurt him or something. She did a thorough check on him and he appears fine… no crying or whimpering… she told me to give him some Metacam for the next 10 days just in case he pulled a muscle or something. There is no issues mobility that she could find right now… so we are leaning towards this being behavioral :(

She told me to look into getting the Adaptil Collar… I haven't gone on the website, but she says that it is activated by body heat and releases a calming pheromone constantly. She said many of her patients have had success w/the collars… I was curious if anyone has tried one?!!

Also if you guys have any comments/advice on what is going on w/Wally, I'm all ears… I honestly don't know what is going on…

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He may be sensing the stress and feeling there is not a leader in the home... He is about 16 mths right?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh wow...loving hugs to WallyGator (only if awake)...bad joke...I know :(

I think it remains to be seen what is the issue(s), lot of changes which means
lots of stress. Or, he's not feeling well, mentally or physically.

Keep us updated, I send prayers the cause is found asap & love to all <3

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry you're going through this with Wally, and that you're having stress in your life right now. I don't have any experience with aggression in dogs, but just wanted to send you hugs and prayers that this is a temporary behavioural issue, and it passes, or you can find a trainer to help you. I hope Wally is okay, and you find a solution. Please keep us Posted. Hugs

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think Christine is right, I know whenever we get like that Buster gets weird. I bought a thundershirt online this morning to see if it will help with Elsa's incredible bark fest! Am curious about this collar too. Sorry to hear about him lunging thats not acceptable behavior at all.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
:( I've got nothin, just hope it's over soon!

Do let us know about the collar. I'd be curiois to see if it would help Winslow with his excitement-turned-jerkness when we have company.

Hugs to you!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:( I've got nothin, just hope it's over soon!

Do let us know about the collar. I'd be curiois to see if it would help Winslow with his excitement-turned-jerkness when we have company.

Hugs to you!

Thanks… I'm going to research the collar, they also sell other items that release the pheremones. A wall unit, and spray…

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
He will be 2 in Jan...

Oh no.. those terrible twos. That's about the age when Wellie became dog aggressive.

I've never head of that collar. If you try it, let us know how it works. I may try too.

Good luck hun. Lunging is definitely not acceptable. Have you considered getting a trainer in?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh no.. those terrible twos. That's about the age when Wellie became dog aggressive.

I've never head of that collar. If you try it, let us know how it works. I may try too.

Good luck hun. Lunging is definitely not acceptable. Have you considered getting a trainer in?

that where i was going... Teenage rebellion--- back to basics

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

I have a fantastic trainer Leah, who actually will do house calls. I may call her, but I did order one of the collars on Amazon. I caught Marcus hitting him the other day, and normally I'm so on top of that kind of stuff… it happened RIGHT in front of me. Ugh… so many things happening at one time :(

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
my porkchop was sensitive on her hip and would do that at times if my husband put any pressure on it.. she would know not to bite and as soon as she did it you can tell she didn't mean too..but i understand if she was in pain, i had her at the vet many times to check her and x-ray her all to get the same answer.. nothing wrong.. if we go on longer then usual walks she will have a limp the next day so i know there is something.. vet says probable arthritis.. so i would still watch and see if she has any limp or favors leg or anything.. just because they didn't find anything doesn't mean its not there at times .. hope all goes ok with him..

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
my porkchop was sensitive on her hip and would do that at times if my husband put any pressure on it.. she would know not to bite and as soon as she did it you can tell she didn't mean too..but i understand if she was in pain, i had her at the vet many times to check her and x-ray her all to get the same answer.. nothing wrong.. if we go on longer then usual walks she will have a limp the next day so i know there is something.. vet says probable arthritis.. so i would still watch and see if she has any limp or favors leg or anything.. just because they didn't find anything doesn't mean its not there at times .. hope all goes ok with him..

That was one of the reasons I took him to the vet straight away, to rule out any injury… she said if it continues she will do blood work and x-rays if needed. I'm starting to be convinced that this is behavioral, although last night he didn't lunge out at anybody… Lol

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] I'm sorry times are stressful, but it definitely sounds like you are handling it perfectly, even if you don't feel that way. I'm curious about this collar too, please let me know how it works for you! Hang in there, you're doing a great job!! xo

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I think Christine is right, I know whenever we get like that Buster gets weird. I bought a thundershirt online this morning to see if it will help with Elsa's incredible bark fest! Am curious about this collar too. Sorry to hear about him lunging thats not acceptable behavior at all.

Sorry [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] to highjack your thread. I have no advice to help little Wally :(. i may have to look into that collar for brutus, he's very excitable.

I just wanted to say Phil, my neighbors dog barks Incessantly...it's ridiculous. They bought her a thunder shirt and she really doesn't bark that much when they actually use it(which is a whole other issue, some people just shouldn't own dogs).

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.