Help Needed! New issues w/the Wallygator...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] I'm sorry to hear that. Did she think that Marcus may have had something to do with it? He (Wally) is at the age of testing,also,and dealing with hormones. How was he with her?

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@ddnene I'm sorry to hear that. Did she think that Marcus may have had something to do with it? He (Wally) is at the age of testing,also,and dealing with hormones. How was he with her?

Marcus has been acting out as well (he's 4) so we have been trying to get him to make better behavior choices. She does believe that Marcus may play a part in this, she was watching them interact and saw some red flags. Wally absolutely adores Leah… but he was exhausted after she left… Lol We also talked about the fact that he's used to having other dogs around, and he's been solitary for some time. It's time to get him a friend…

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
My trainer Leah came over last night & worked for him over an hour… she believes his issues are behavioral, and she suggested having him neutered & back to basics training. I'm seriously stressed out about it…

I wonder if Wally is jealous of Marcus and generally just stressed out by the change, the fact that he's around all of the time. Have you tried making sure Wally gets some one on one quality time with you daily so that he still feels like he's important to you? I know life is busy and it's hard to make time, but maybe just a short walk together at night or some cuddle time watching your favorite show. Let him know Marcus isn't replacing him.

On the subject of neutering, some people will tell me I'm crazy or irresponsible for not having Ruckus neutered, but I really don't think it makes a huge difference in their personality. They are who they are, and I've seen neutered dogs show aggression. Just make sure you weigh the pros and cons. I know people have posted here that their bullies started showing aggression AFTER being neutered because they were older and the hormone change caused something to click on in their brains.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I have noticed that when my grand kids come over, my dogs get kind of depressed, Jack especially. He has always been good around them, but he does mope. I have 3 grandsons who are two years old. One of them has hit Winnie, which I corrected immediately, because he did it right in front of me. He also climbed on top of Jack and Jack growled at him for the first time ever. Maybe Wally is jealous, especially with Marcus being there full time. I have no solution, I'm just thinking out loud here. It's good that you have a good trainer. Sorry about the stress in the house--we have some real sadness going on here too right now. Sometimes now it seems like the dogs are the only ray of happiness and they relieve some of the stress. But when they misbehave, it just makes more stress! Hang in there, Tracey! @ddene

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I wonder if Wally is jealous of Marcus and generally just stressed out by the change, the fact that he's around all of the time. Have you tried making sure Wally gets some one on one quality time with you daily so that he still feels like he's important to you? I know life is busy and it's hard to make time, but maybe just a short walk together at night or some cuddle time watching your favorite show. Let him know Marcus isn't replacing him.

On the subject of neutering, some people will tell me I'm crazy or irresponsible for not having Ruckus neutered, but I really don't think it makes a huge difference in their personality. They are who they are, and I've seen neutered dogs show aggression. Just make sure you weigh the pros and cons. I know people have posted here that their bullies started showing aggression AFTER being neutered because they were older and the hormone change caused something to click on in their brains.

It's been difficult to find the time, but now that my hubby is home we are making a conscious effort… plus Marcus goes to bed early at 8pm. What's funny is that's the time when the aggression comes out… :( He could be bottling it up all day, knowing he will get in BIG trouble pulling that stuff w/Marcus and then waiting to let us have it at night. Marcus won't be living w/us forever, in fact we are hoping that they will move to an apartment soon. Of course he will still be at our house a lot w/their work/school schedules. My first responsibility is of course the kids…

We had planned not to neuter, and mostly because of my past history w/bulldogs and surgeries. I don't think it's crazy or irresponsible at ALL, as long as you are a responsible pet owner (which I KNOW that you are) there is no reason to neuter just because our country thinks it's best. Many threads on here have discussed neutering, and I have read each one w/interest. I won't make this decision lightly… it's something we will discuss at length. I honestly don't think that the neutering will change his behavior, I think that training is what is going to change him. Leah said that mental training is more exhausting then physical… so we are working w/him daily. I feel bad because w/all the madness going on here I sort of let that slip… Ugh!!!

I really appreciate your input on this, and I completely agree w/you!!! Do you feel that Ruckus changed when Regina joined the family?!! We are thinking of getting a female puppy… maybe a Frenchie.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have noticed that when my grand kids come over, my dogs get kind of depressed, Jack especially. He has always been good around them, but he does mope. I have 3 grandsons who are two years old. One of them has hit Winnie, which I corrected immediately, because he did it right in front of me. He also climbed on top of Jack and Jack growled at him for the first time ever. Maybe Wally is jealous, especially with Marcus being there full time. I have no solution, I'm just thinking out loud here. It's good that you have a good trainer. Sorry about the stress in the house--we have some real sadness going on here too right now. Sometimes now it seems like the dogs are the only ray of happiness and they relieve some of the stress. But when they misbehave, it just makes more stress! Hang in there, Tracey! @ddene

I appreciate your input here Donna, and I'm honestly thinking that you guys have hit the nail on the head. The ONLY real change that has happened is Marcus moving in, before he was only here for a couple of days a week. You can sit on top of them for hours, but let's face it… the screaming, tantrums, etc… causes stress in the house whether or not you are a canine or a human!!! :rofl:

I'm sorry about your sadness as well, I feel like I'm drowning to be honest… I'm sure that Wally is feeling the strain. We will get thru this, no matter what it is… one day at a time. AND of course there is always :drink: HUGS to you Donna!!!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
If you're looking for a friend for Wally I'd strongly recommend a Pug, Joey and our Pug are super good friends:) Love Frenchies also<3 Wally hopefully just needs some management, he's at the age where he'd try the boundaries. Has he acted normal lately or is he lashing out still?

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
It's been difficult to find the time, but now that my hubby is home we are making a conscious effort… plus Marcus goes to bed early at 8pm. What's funny is that's the time when the aggression comes out… :( He could be bottling it up all day, knowing he will get in BIG trouble pulling that stuff w/Marcus and then waiting to let us have it at night. Marcus won't be living w/us forever, in fact we are hoping that they will move to an apartment soon. Of course he will still be at our house a lot w/their work/school schedules. My first responsibility is of course the kids…

We had planned not to neuter, and mostly because of my past history w/bulldogs and surgeries. I don't think it's crazy or irresponsible at ALL, as long as you are a responsible pet owner (which I KNOW that you are) there is no reason to neuter just because our country thinks it's best. Many threads on here have discussed neutering, and I have read each one w/interest. I won't make this decision lightly… it's something we will discuss at length. I honestly don't think that the neutering will change his behavior, I think that training is what is going to change him. Leah said that mental training is more exhausting then physical… so we are working w/him daily. I feel bad because w/all the madness going on here I sort of let that slip… Ugh!!!

I really appreciate your input on this, and I completely agree w/you!!! Do you feel that Ruckus changed when Regina joined the family?!! We are thinking of getting a female puppy… maybe a Frenchie.

Ruckus was having a blast the first day he met Regina. She was (and remains) super feisty so she loved him from the start also. Once Ruckus realized that she was a permanent fixture in our home, he did get a tad jealous for a few days. Regina always wanted to be on your lap and cuddle and she was just adorable so people wanted to come over and see her and love on her. The one time Ruckus snarled at Regina over a toy I let him know that was unacceptable. I supervised their play a lot the first week and made sure everyone was using manners. I made it a point to take Ruckus in a long solo walk at night and give him lots of pets, especially when I was giving Regina attention. I even starting giving Ruckus 3 meals a day again so he could eat with Regina. Ruckus never showed any jealousy past the first few days and now they're inseparable. They can share treats from the same plate and never squabble.

The one change I did see was that Ruckus started to be a little more protective of Regina and me. If a dog snarled at Regina on the street you'd better believe Ruckus would give them the stink eye and a low growl. He never instigated though. He's better now that she's older, but I think he sees her as his puppy. He still gets along great with other dogs.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If you're looking for a friend for Wally I'd strongly recommend a Pug, Joey and our Pug are super good friends:) Love Frenchies also<3 Wally hopefully just needs some management, he's at the age where he'd try the boundaries. Has he acted normal lately or is he lashing out still?

He goes thru a couple of days like normal, and then BAM… lashes out. No rhyme or reason to it… we've been on him since Friday so this weekend he's been an angel :angelheart:

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
any success with the DAP?

I've had the spray for a while but only used it a handful of times BECAUSE the first night we tried it, he peed all over his bed. he hasn't had an accident inside in I don't know how long. I couldn't help but think it was related to the DAP spray.

I did however use it for our family christmas card photo shoot. It's a big day for frank where he gets a lot of attention and has to wear a sweater and a santa hat lol. obviously a day full of 'stress' for him. I sprayed his xmas sweater with the DAP about 30 minutes before he put it on and he was noticeably calmer.

He even went shopping in the warehouse at my work with me and was pleasant and calm.

so... jury is still out on if I like the DAP or think it works.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
any success with the DAP?

I've had the spray for a while but only used it a handful of times BECAUSE the first night we tried it, he peed all over his bed. he hasn't had an accident inside in I don't know how long. I couldn't help but think it was related to the DAP spray.

I did however use it for our family christmas card photo shoot. It's a big day for frank where he gets a lot of attention and has to wear a sweater and a santa hat lol. obviously a day full of 'stress' for him. I sprayed his xmas sweater with the DAP about 30 minutes before he put it on and he was noticeably calmer.

He even went shopping in the warehouse at my work with me and was pleasant and calm.

so... jury is still out on if I like the DAP or think it works.

I got the collar, but we are waiting till after the holiday weekend to use it. I want to make sure I'm around him 24/7 to see if it actually works for him… I will let you know!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.