Walking help

Lloydsmom

Sep 28, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello! We have a 4 month old puppy who we've started to walk a few weeks ago. Problem is... is that he's not that into it. We live in a city and he's either distracted by what's going on -or- he just doesn't want to move. Either way he's stopping every few feet. Any suggestions of what has worked for other reluctant Bulldogs???? Thanks!

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
HiI had the exact same problem we were using a harness but on visiting a dog trainer we were advised to use a slip lead it is just a very simple lead easy to put on and remove and George loves his walks now. The other vital piece of help was to bring small treats and use them to keep him moving in the beginning we were using about 20 pieces of his food on a 10 min walk and we are down to about 6-8 depending on how many trucks we meet.
On the slip lead you just give a small quick tug and they get the message pretty quick.
I thought we would never get him to walk but it has worked.
Best of luck with whatever you try

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
My guy still hates walks, but will kill himself at the dog park. Once we get about a block from the house he loves walks. The first block is similar to what I imagine Marlin fishing might be like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have to agree with everyone else and the treats suggestion is spot on. Time and patience will get you there.

:welcome: to EBN!

Tracie

Oct 10, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pazelee
I'm having a very similar problem. I take Pazelee out and she will walk across the street to her pee spot, immediately turn around and come home. I'd love to be able to walk around the block. She likes treats, but is quick to turn her nose up to them if she doesn't want to do something. Can you say stubborn!!!

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
i had this problem when my gucci was a pup.. she still today don't like it and i figured out its the harness she don't like.. everytime i go to take them all on a walk they all love it and will let me put on their harness and i have to chase gucci around the house to get hers on and then when well head out she will stop and rub up against the fence like shes trying to get it off.. i tired other types of harnesses and nothing makes her happy.. she likes the walks but hates the harness.. i don't like collars and i don't think she would either.. 12032490_10206174498740467_2034020412_n.jpg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.