Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Hope someone can help/advise me.
I have a 5 month old English bulldog called George.
He sleeps in his crate wonderfully at night and I have no trouble with him in the mornings when I am heading out to work at 7 pm he toilets and goes willingly back in his crate. I come home at 11 to feed him on my lunch hour and that's where my problems start. He dosent like to go back in his crate at this time, or anytime after that until bedtime at about 9.30/10pm. I have to go back to work, and despite leaving some toys and water for him he still pulls the chairs down and other small destructive things until I return at 2pm.
Once I am home he will not go back in his crate or leave my side I can't get any housework done and worst of all I feel I can't go out at all.
This is probably more of a human problem but maybe you can help me. Is it just a puppy thing will he become less attached as he grows older? :eek:

swazi85

Nov 9, 2013
Hehe unfortunately that's a bulldog for you. They love there owners and will be glued to you. My female follows me everywhere. Sleeps on my legs at night to make sure I don't go anywhere without her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
That's the strange thing though I could understand that if he did sleep in the room with me but he doesn't he sleeps in his crate in the kitchen and he loves being by himself when he's tired but other than that he's like glue to me or my daughter.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ah... the velco dog, true Bulldog, they LOVE their humans and need to be with them. he will be fine in the crate, lure him in with treats and make it a positive experience.

Leave a bone for him to chew while you are gone and maybe leave a TV or radio on to make him think he is not alone.. Since the time you are gone is not that log, water is not a total necessity in the crate

Good luck..... time and patience

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Thanks Christine,
I have tried most of those things he eats a treat in 5 seconds flat and is banging on the crate before I can grab my handbag to go out. I am going to try a frozen Kong treat though that may take him longer to get through. I am also getting a proper bone soon I just hope it doesn't make him ill. He hates the radio and I have a bit of a fear of leaving the tv on in case it could catch fire.
Yes I know it will take time and thanks for your suggestions.
Your babies are adorable btw :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Christine is right, he will get used to it. Bulldogs are so much like human babies it's ridiculous but they do learn. Most of the time when you are away he's sleeping which is a great thing for babies. He certainly is a cutie!

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Thank for the reassurance Phil. I hope he does get used to it. I guess it's more my issue that he's not being stimulated or that he is lonely.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Another thing you might try is putting George in a safe room behind a baby gate. @Cali Doll, a member here used a doggy play pen for her puppy and it was a life saver for her. When Winnie, my bully, finished all of her vaccinations, I took her to doggy day care a few times to let her socialize with other dogs. She loved it and I think it was good for her. That could be another option for you when you have to be gone longer during the day.

I answered your other post before I read this one, so I wasn't aware of your work schedule. If you get home at 2:00 p.m., that's just a couple of hours. I think he will adjust.

And, yeah, he may always follow you everywhere! [MENTION=15045]Evilo[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.