Table manners (or sometimes couch manners)

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
So I was being a bit of a bum tonight and eating my dinner (a slice of pizza) in the couch while watching a movie when Murray decided to take it upon himself to jump on the couch and then on me and--stole a big bite of my pizza!!! It was funny but I can't have this happening when people come over or just in general but I want him to be able to still sit on the couch with me I just want to be able to eat peacefully. Other times when I'm eating at the table he just kind of whines which he is slowly getting better about but not always! Would love to know if anyone else has had this or something similar happen and would appreciate any advice! Especially with the holidays coming around the corner I want to try to nip this in the bud so it doesn't become an issue. Thanks everybody!!!

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Our babies tend to ruff- house a little "extra" while we are eating- so we started just putting them in their crate with a toy while we eat. Just say "go to bed", they waddle right in, wait for their treat then start chewing in their toy. In the beginning Lockjaw barked, but now they are both pretty content until we are done. BUT- mine are still puppies at 5 1/2 months and we JUST recently started to allow them on the couch.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
My dogs, Jack, Winnie, and now Gus sit beside me on the couch when I eat there. I give them little bites every once in a while, but they wait for them and they wait their turns. It's awful, I know. All my dogs have always done this. Advantage is they learn to share food. Sometimes they lick the bowl or plate when I'm finished--all 3 at the same time! We have pop corn parties sometimes--it's one of their favorite things!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This is an issue w/Wally… part of the problem is that my kids insist on snacking on the couch and it drives me insane. I need to work on Wally pronto… Lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I don't give my dogs handouts when I am eating-so they don't even think of it. When my husband was here,he gave them handouts,while we were eating, and they all sat around his chair, but never around mine! BUT if I drop a pin(example) in the kitchen,they come running! Good hearing when they want to.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
either crate him when you are eating or teach/train to be in another room ............ I am horrible with this as I share my meals (at the end) with the pups so they lay by my feet when I am eating. My b/f does not share at all, so the pups do not even acknowledge that he is eating

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I don't give my dogs handouts when I am eating-so they don't even think of it. When my husband was here,he gave them handouts,while we were eating, and they all sat around his chair, but never around mine! BUT if I drop a pin(example) in the kitchen,they come running! Good hearing when they want to.

Just the opposite with us. Roy doesn't feed them and they leave him alone. I give them bites and they all crowd around me--guess you could call that "buying love!":facepalm2:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If I didn't have food, mine would spit on me and hitchhike outta' here! So much for love!:fie:

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Rosie is learning (13 weeks old ) on this topic
All of the other hoards get one little tiny taste , now this is on the couch , they are not aloud in the dinning room when we eat, looks like a wall of dogs there at the door but tough .
If i am on the couch or The Prettyone and say were having chips and chip dip , they all get one chip NO dip , and that's it and once a day not that we sit on the couch multiple times a day eating chips and dip at different times of said Day . All the older dogs at this point go away and do there stuff , No one is on the couch during this time not aloud , there on the floor sitting slobbering all over the front of the couch that's another story !
If one of My dogs jumped on the couch and stole the whole bag of chips and took off not cool and POOP would hit the fan , there pretty good that has never occurred tho, but we have a one chip or what ever policy .

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I'm pretty lucky here Ftse is not food orientated so I can leave a pizza round and he would not touch it not that I do but my husband is always snacking and leaving bags of chips, lollies etc on the coffee table which is where Ftse lays and he never touches them, but I would probably teach him by crating him when he does that and he should soon catch on its a no no

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Part of my problem is that I don't crate him at home, I close off my bedrooms and bathroom but he pretty much has free roam of the kitchen and living room, he has two dog beds one in the living room and one in my bedroom maybe I could try getting him to stay in that while we're eating. He hasn't quite mastered the stay command to my liking-it's very much dependent on if I have a treat or if he's in the mood to do it!!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
he is only young thou isn't he? Ftse is 4 in two weeks and he free roam too

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Rosie is learning (13 weeks old ) on this topic
All of the other hoards get one little tiny taste , now this is on the couch , they are not aloud in the dinning room when we eat, looks like a wall of dogs there at the door but tough .
If i am on the couch or The Prettyone and say were having chips and chip dip , they all get one chip NO dip , and that's it and once a day not that we sit on the couch multiple times a day eating chips and dip at different times of said Day . All the older dogs at this point go away and do there stuff , No one is on the couch during this time not aloud , there on the floor sitting slobbering all over the front of the couch that's another story !
If one of My dogs jumped on the couch and stole the whole bag of chips and took off not cool and POOP would hit the fan , there pretty good that has never occurred tho, but we have a one chip or what ever policy .

Your post is making me laugh so hard, Nat! I just get a vision of one of your dogs snagging a whole bag of chips and running away with it! My dogs will steal any food whatsoever that is left where they can reach it. If I am sitting on the couch eating something and have to get up for some reason, I'd better take the food with me or it will be gone when I get back. Like I said, you are a good leader of the pack--me, not so much!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Your post is making me laugh so hard, Nat! I just get a vision of one of your dogs snagging a whole bag of chips and running away with it! My dogs will steal any food whatsoever that is left where they can reach it. If I am sitting on the couch eating something and have to get up for some reason, I'd better take the food with me or it will be gone when I get back. Like I said, you are a good leader of the pack--me, not so much!

When we first got Odin again a save he survived on dumping the garbage and we still have issues now with that getting better but I do not I will ever stop that he survived that way and it is a huge mess when he does get into it . lol He looks soooooo guilty when he does something wrong I mean a pure giveaway . All the others are truly great no issues lol. I have the time with them and as i was always a people watcher now I am a lol Dog watcher I really do watch them all the time another reason i take sooo many pics I always have the camera with Me . Rosie goes for her final shots today so i can finally start that part of the fun and take her places with me I am so looking forward to that as will Odin it means more drives into town and the waterfront parks

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.