sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I litter train all of my dogs. My grandbaby just recently got a dachshund puppy on Sept 12 and she was 8 wks old when picking her up. Both her and I began litter training immediately. She picked up like a champ and no joke my son has carpeting in his house and we put litter pans all through out the house and in her cage and literally watched her like a hawk. Puppy out of cage and place in litter and say potty and she would jump out and back again we went and smelling her scent is what helps. Now when she first stepped onto the floor of his dining room area I told my gbaby that she has to allow the puppy to potty on the floor at least one time so we could take the litter and place on top of her urine to absorb it dry and we scooped it up and put back into the clean litter and litter training began. Because she was so very new to this we let her run and play for 15 mins and she was put in litter and success after in out in out in and smelling she started to get the idea. Same with her cage I told my gbaby to pick her poop up and place in litter so she would also have that knowing it was hers. This was done to the puppy immediately after getting out of cage and after like every 15 mins and water and food also and as with my other EBD wow she caught on so fast and I eliminated the potty in cage and she knew that eventually omg it is my litter so I have permission to potty in it ll over my house and sons house. It is super easy clean up also and because I did the cage big enough she could have food and water and litter pan all in her cage and a bed and it was dry. Playing in it wasn't a big deal because it is just compacted paper pellets. Also winging her off of using litter was easy too and she has been off of it now for almost now since like mid october and just am amazed at how easy once again it was going this route. We have absolutely no accidents and she literally has free run of both of out homes. Just another way of potty training.

Thanks for the info! But we definitely don't want to litter or pee pad train at all. We don't want to let her know it's "ok" to go in the house. We have a 3 year old bully too that we got when he was 4 months and it took him a few weeks to get potty trained but since then has not had ONE accident! So I know it will eventually click with her, just hopefully sooner rather than later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi everyone! So Pippen is almost 4 months old now! She was still having accidents after taking the amoxicillin so the vet did a urine culture a few weeks ago and found she still had a UTI and the bacteria was resistant to that antibiotic so put her on Baytril instead. She finished that about a week ago and was doing really good at first but has been having a few more accidents lately...

What's weird is that she will sleep through the whole night in her crate without any accidents but when I put her in the crate during the day and go let her out after a few hours she has peed on herself in the crate like she was doing before [emoji20] She's also had a few accidents around the house lately but has been a lot better about going to the door when she has to go. And I can tell a lot of times she is holding it since she will run outside to go! Also, she "dribbles" a lot. Like if I hold her or have her on my lap there will be little pee spots after she gets up.

Could this be that the UTI didn't fully go away? What concerns me is her peeing in her crate while she is sleeping (I think) and not even caring about it. Could it possibly be something other than a UTI??

Here is an updated pic of the little cutie too [emoji4]

6adf0d3acb075198a9d7f93d35704413.jpg

:loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes:

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Thanks for all your advice!! So I'm thinking she may just be "dribbling" while she's sleeping...I don't think she's intentionally getting up and peeing. She was laying on the floor and then on me yesterday and both times after she woke up I felt her bottom and it was wet and there were a couple tiny spots of pee on the floor/me. I had asked the vet before about her dribbling and he said unless it was happening continuously it shouldn't be anything to worry about and it would prob get better as she gets older.

Well since she's already holding it all night, she's probably well on her way to becoming fully trained. Good luck, I hope it goes well and she has no more infections. She really is so incredibly adorable!! xo

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Hey! It took Daisy for ever to get fully potty trained..When I was home I tried to take her out every hour. It sounds like you are doing every thing right. Just keep your chin up, shes still young.. And Daisy is one of those dogs who pees on anything soft in her crate. I hate that I cant keep a bed or a blanket in there. (Well I can, but Im just always doing laundry) Have you tried a diaper? I know its tough when they dont have tails. I worry for that cute lil girl because of the dribbling :/ Good luck! Oh and by the way, they will have accidents... Shes 2 1/2 and decided to pee on my jacket yesterday.. It was laying on the couch and may have offended her or something... Lil **** :cursing:

Most Reactions