sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Could be…sounds suspicious that the infection is reoccurring…did they test her for bladder stones?
BTW…she is SO stinking CUTE!!!!

Hmm I'm not sure...I would think they would've tested for that too but they never mentioned anything. I'm hoping it's just still potty training related because the Baytril antibiotic is pretty strong and I'd hate to have to keep giving her that [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Hmm I'm not sure...I would think they would've tested for that too but they never mentioned anything. I'm hoping it's just still potty training related because the Baytril antibiotic is pretty strong and I'd hate to have to keep giving her that [emoji20]

It could be that she's just potty training, she's still pretty young. How often are you bringing her out to pee - and how often after she's back in is she having an accident?

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
[MENTION=10681]Laurie[/MENTION] Yea that's what I'm hoping...during the day I will usually leave her in there for a couple hours at a time and she pretty much sleeps the whole time but when I let her out, her whole behind area and blanket are wet. So I'm not sure if she's going in her sleep or maybe dribbling some in her sleep...it's just so crazy to me since she will hold it ALL night without an accident but is the complete opposite during the day!! I asked the vet and he said it could be she's drinking too much water...we've "tried" limiting her water but she looooves to drink and I hate her not having any water if she's thirsty. That's the only other thing I can think of is at night we don't leave any water in her crate but do have a little bit in during the day.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Mine just turned 7 months and I want to say have really only gotten a hang of potty training for the last month or so. They held it through the night first, but still had accidents during the day while we were gone. When we are home, they are usually really good with going to the door. I had to bell train bc they would just stand by the door- no barking or anything. But I do notice then one of them are mad or jealous- they pee. When Penny had her surgery, Lockjaw got jealous that I was holdi her all day and pooped in my living room! He has only pooped in the house 1 time and that was the first day I brought him home at 7 weeks! So it may just be an attention getter if she's doing it during the day and your home with her.
Poor girl! I hope it gets better for you sooner rather than later. She's such a sweet little girl!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
@Laurie Yea that's what I'm hoping...during the day I will usually leave her in there for a couple hours at a time and she pretty much sleeps the whole time but when I let her out, her whole behind area and blanket are wet. So I'm not sure if she's going in her sleep or maybe dribbling some in her sleep...it's just so crazy to me since she will hold it ALL night without an accident but is the complete opposite during the day!! I asked the vet and he said it could be she's drinking too much water...we've "tried" limiting her water but she looooves to drink and I hate her not having any water if she's thirsty. That's the only other thing I can think of is at night we don't leave any water in her crate but do have a little bit in during the day.

I think at this point I would start keeping a journal of exact times she goes out, how much water intake, time frame of accidents, feeding times ect…if you bring her out every 3 hours, start bringing her out every 2 hours (during the day). She's right in-between that 12-16 week/4month+ potty training stage. At your next vet appt. you can bring the journal so the vet has a better idea as to whether it is bladder control or symptoms of infection and stones. They will probably culture her just to be on the safe side, as a precautionary follow-up to her last uti. Hang in there, she's still so little. I tend to worry at limiting water in-take w/this breed, but you said she drinks a lot - so it could be too much water and a puppy bladder…when is she due to go back to her vet?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Gosh, I wish I could help with the potty issues, but I have zero experience with pups. I just could not keep moving without saying how stinkin adorabullllll she is. I just love her coloring, seriously I need to meet her and Barkely one day!!!!

Maybe [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] could offer up some help :)

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I think at this point I would start keeping a journal of exact times she goes out, how much water intake, time frame of accidents, feeding times ect…if you bring her out every 3 hours, start bringing her out every 2 hours (during the day). She's right in-between that 12-16 week/4month+ potty training stage. At your next vet appt. you can bring the journal so the vet has a better idea as to whether it is bladder control or symptoms of infection and stones. They will probably culture her just to be on the safe side, as a precautionary follow-up to her last uti. Hang in there, she's still so little. I tend to worry at limiting water in-take w/this breed, but you said she drinks a lot - so it could be too much water and a puppy bladder…when is she due to go back to her vet?

That's a good idea, I'll have to try and start doing that! She actually just went back to the vet last week to get her last shots but was doing better then so we didn't really have much to say about it. But if it's still happening after a few weeks we will have to take her back to get another culture done to be on the safe side! I fill her water bowl up a good amount in the morning and let her drink and let her out frequently after then will leave at least a little bit of water in the rest of the day...but if her bowl is empty she goes over to our other bully's crate and starts guzzling his water!!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Mine just turned 7 months and I want to say have really only gotten a hang of potty training for the last month or so. They held it through the night first, but still had accidents during the day while we were gone. When we are home, they are usually really good with going to the door. I had to bell train bc they would just stand by the door- no barking or anything. But I do notice then one of them are mad or jealous- they pee. When Penny had her surgery, Lockjaw got jealous that I was holdi her all day and pooped in my living room! He has only pooped in the house 1 time and that was the first day I brought him home at 7 weeks! So it may just be an attention getter if she's doing it during the day and your home with her.
Poor girl! I hope it gets better for you sooner rather than later. She's such a sweet little girl!

Yea she will just stand by the door too but we've been keeping a close eye on her and can see the backdoor from almost everywhere downstairs so usually know when she has to go out. I told my husband I thought it could be the attention thing too! I work from home so am home all day but can't keep an eye on her the whole time plus want to make sure she is crate trained right. So sometimes I do feel like it could be she is upset with being put in while I'm still at home...she will go lay in our other bully's crate sometimes and I don't think she pees in there. I'll have to pay more attention to that and to if she does it any when we leave the house!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Gosh, I wish I could help with the potty issues, but I have zero experience with pups. I just could not keep moving without saying how stinkin adorabullllll she is. I just love her coloring, seriously I need to meet her and Barkely one day!!!!

Maybe [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] could offer up some help :)

Awww thank you!! [emoji4] I know, hopefully there will be some more meetups scheduled soon that we can make it out to and all meet!!

EnglishLove

Nov 15, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilma
We recently just went through a similar experience with our puppy. What is key with potty training is making sure that you take your puppy outside first thing in the morning when you wake up. The puppy needs to feel the grass on his/her feet and associate it with peeing, then needs to be highly rewarded for doing it properly. Keeping the sheets clean in the crate is key, and making sure that there is no odor on the carpets when the puppy makes a mistake. Anti-odor spray is very helpful.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
We recently just went through a similar experience with our puppy. What is key with potty training is making sure that you take your puppy outside first thing in the morning when you wake up. The puppy needs to feel the grass on his/her feet and associate it with peeing, then needs to be highly rewarded for doing it properly. Keeping the sheets clean in the crate is key, and making sure that there is no odor on the carpets when the puppy makes a mistake. Anti-odor spray is very helpful.

Yep we do all of that!! We let her out very first thing in the morning and then a few times after she eats breakfast. We've just been putting towels in the crate to make cleanup easier when she does pee and change them each time and I even wash them with an anti-odor additive and clean the rugs/floors with an anti-odor spray as well. I even tried taking all the bedding out of her crate before and it didn't help so I don't think that's the issue

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
We tried to do the traditional "crate training", but then just kind of let them wok it out. Everytime we put them in the crate we give them a high value treat, and especially now when we say "go to bed" they run straight in their crates and wait. So I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself to do it by the book. Especially with EB's, she sees you or hears you and wants to be with you- especially I she's still a baby. We got an x-pen (like a play pen with a doggy door that locks). Try that with her if u can't keep an eye on her at all times. Atleast u may be able to keep her close. Add a bed and some toys. I went through a lot of the same issues that your going through. She will eventually get it. Puppyhood is exhausting!!!! Lol

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
The main reason why I would do this one by the book (and even take her out more frequently than the every 3 hour suggested method) w/potty training is her recent history w/uti infections…she's so young and holding her bladder will not be good - it gives the bacteria more time to "breed". You don't want her to develop more problems when she's older…the extra time and effort put in now may make a difference…just my opinion.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
The main reason why I would do this one by the book (and even take her out more frequently than the every 3 hour suggested method) w/potty training is her recent history w/uti infections…she's so young and holding her bladder will not be good - it gives the bacteria more time to "breed". You don't want her to develop more problems when she's older…the extra time and effort put in now may make a difference…just my opinion.

Thanks for all your advice!! So I'm thinking she may just be "dribbling" while she's sleeping...I don't think she's intentionally getting up and peeing. She was laying on the floor and then on me yesterday and both times after she woke up I felt her bottom and it was wet and there were a couple tiny spots of pee on the floor/me. I had asked the vet before about her dribbling and he said unless it was happening continuously it shouldn't be anything to worry about and it would prob get better as she gets older.

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
I litter train all of my dogs. My grandbaby just recently got a dachshund puppy on Sept 12 and she was 8 wks old when picking her up. Both her and I began litter training immediately. She picked up like a champ and no joke my son has carpeting in his house and we put litter pans all through out the house and in her cage and literally watched her like a hawk. Puppy out of cage and place in litter and say potty and she would jump out and back again we went and smelling her scent is what helps. Now when she first stepped onto the floor of his dining room area I told my gbaby that she has to allow the puppy to potty on the floor at least one time so we could take the litter and place on top of her urine to absorb it dry and we scooped it up and put back into the clean litter and litter training began. Because she was so very new to this we let her run and play for 15 mins and she was put in litter and success after in out in out in and smelling she started to get the idea. Same with her cage I told my gbaby to pick her poop up and place in litter so she would also have that knowing it was hers. This was done to the puppy immediately after getting out of cage and after like every 15 mins and water and food also and as with my other EBD wow she caught on so fast and I eliminated the potty in cage and she knew that eventually omg it is my litter so I have permission to potty in it ll over my house and sons house. It is super easy clean up also and because I did the cage big enough she could have food and water and litter pan all in her cage and a bed and it was dry. Playing in it wasn't a big deal because it is just compacted paper pellets. Also winging her off of using litter was easy too and she has been off of it now for almost now since like mid october and just am amazed at how easy once again it was going this route. We have absolutely no accidents and she literally has free run of both of out homes. Just another way of potty training.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.