sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
We got our new puppy, Pippen, almost 2 weeks ago now and she is almost 10 weeks old...We are crate training her and she is doing pretty good for the most part! She hasn't pooped in her crate at all but has been peeing in there, mostly at night even though I make sure to get up in the middle of the night to let her out. She is good outside of her crate mostly too, she just has a few accidents here and there and it is usually if we don't take her out soon enough after she has been playing a lot or something. But I will leave the back door open for a little while after she eats, etc and she knows to run outside to potty.

I know she is still young and super tiny (only about 8 pounds right now!) and might not be able to hold it for more than a few hours in her crate but there have actually been a couple nights where she has actually held it for 5 or so hours, so I know she can...We had a fleece bed, blanket and stuffed toy in there and I think she would just pee on those and it would absorb the pee and so she wouldn't feel it and not care. So I decided to take all the bedding out and got her a Primo Pad so it's more comfy than just the plastic crate floor and she just hates it without her cozy stuff! She will cry non-stop...This is only the first day trying this so hopefully she gets used to it soon! We also have a divider in the crate so she only has access to a small portion of it right now.

I know it's still early on and I'm sure it will eventually "click" with her to hold it til we take her out (When we first got our other dog, Barkley, he had a lot of accidents for a few weeks and then all of a sudden just figured out he could hold it and hasn't had one accident since!).

I am having to travel out of town for surgery in about 2 weeks and one of our friends will be watching them for a few days then my hubby will be taking care of them by himself for almost a week til I get back so I am just trying to get her trained as fast as possible to make it easier on them! If anyone has any other tips that have worked well for them, please let me know!! Thanks! :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It sounds like you're doing everything right. Consistency is key and like you said she will get it after a while it might just take a little longer then Barkley. I'm hoping she figures this out before you leave. Good luck on the surgery...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
At only 10 weeks, I took them out at least twice a night. You might want to try that. Best of luck with surgery.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
It sounds like you're doing everything right. Consistency is key and like you said she will get it after a while it might just take a little longer then Barkley. I'm hoping she figures this out before you leave. Good luck on the surgery...

Thank you! I'm hoping she will get the hang of it soon...I've taken her out every couple hours so far today and every time she has peed on herself in the crate. Not sure if this is what she's been doing and I didn't notice so much because of the bedding or if she is getting herself too worked up and peeing because of it. I'm hoping she figures out that she doesn't like the feeling of pee on herself and will cut it out soon! haha :)

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
At only 10 weeks, I took them out at least twice a night. You might want to try that. Best of luck with surgery.

Ahhh I know, I do try sometimes to do twice a night, it just doesn't always happen :ashamed:. Thanks so much, I appreciate it!! :)

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Ok so I know it's only the first day of taking everything out of her crate but I left her in her crate during the day and took her out about every hour and every time she had peed all over herself, like she just didn't try to hold it and didn't care that it was all over her. She never cried or anything to let me know she had to go or that she was upset with being wet.

Then tonight we put her in the crate for maybe half an hour and the same thing happened! I definitely know she can hold it longer than that and don't know what else to do if she's not trying to hold it at all or not letting us know she has to go!

Any suggestions?? Should I just give it more time?? I hate having her just lay in her pee but would have to take her out every 5 minutes it seems like if not! Grrrr!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Does she pee that often when she is loose? Do you think she could have a uti?

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Does she pee that often when she is loose? Do you think she could have a uti?

When she is in the house outside of her crate she is fine and can go for a few hours (depending on how much she's playing) before having to go. But when she does go outside, she will go like 5 times before she's done...maybe that could be a uti symptom? I'm not really sure...we have a vet appt on Saturday to get her next shots so I guess I'll see what they think then....maybe she's just really mad about her empty crate [emoji53]

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
If you can catch some of her urine that morning,take a sample with you. I use a low tv dinner tray,slide it under when she starts to pee and then I put it in a clean empty pill bottle. She may have a UTi

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Your right it will `` Click `` hang in there Rosie was doing the same seems to have stopped in the crate at least , she is 90 percent of the time hitting the pads at nite now
Hope the surgery is not serious and a quick recovery for you so you can get back to your baby

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Your right it will `` Click `` hang in there Rosie was doing the same seems to have stopped in the crate at least , she is 90 percent of the time hitting the pads at nite now
Hope the surgery is not serious and a quick recovery for you so you can get back to your baby

That's great! We aren't using pads, I put them down and she acts like she has no clue what they are even though she used them at the breeder haha. Hopefully she will get it soon though!

And thanks about the surgery, I'm so sad to have to leave the pups for over a week :(. I know they'll be in good hands but nobody takes care of them like I do!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I thought UTI too.... good luck with potty training and your surgery .... hope all goes well

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I thought UTI too.... good luck with potty training and your surgery .... hope all goes well

Thank you! We took her to the vet today for her shots and they said it sounds like it prob is a uti and gave her some antibiotics to take so we'll see if it starts getting better over the next few days!!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hi everyone! So Pippen is almost 4 months old now! She was still having accidents after taking the amoxicillin so the vet did a urine culture a few weeks ago and found she still had a UTI and the bacteria was resistant to that antibiotic so put her on Baytril instead. She finished that about a week ago and was doing really good at first but has been having a few more accidents lately...

What's weird is that she will sleep through the whole night in her crate without any accidents but when I put her in the crate during the day and go let her out after a few hours she has peed on herself in the crate like she was doing before [emoji20] She's also had a few accidents around the house lately but has been a lot better about going to the door when she has to go. And I can tell a lot of times she is holding it since she will run outside to go! Also, she "dribbles" a lot. Like if I hold her or have her on my lap there will be little pee spots after she gets up.

Could this be that the UTI didn't fully go away? What concerns me is her peeing in her crate while she is sleeping (I think) and not even caring about it. Could it possibly be something other than a UTI??

Here is an updated pic of the little cutie too [emoji4]

6adf0d3acb075198a9d7f93d35704413.jpg

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Could be…sounds suspicious that the infection is reoccurring…did they test her for bladder stones?
BTW…she is SO stinking CUTE!!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.