Best ways to deal with Biting and niping

Little Dunc

Oct 21, 2015
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Duncan
Hi all!,

I know that all pups do this but with having small children in the house what the best advice for trying to contain this.

we constantly give Duncan toys to combat this but he still prefers our clothing and shoes ha.

The ouch method didn't seem to work and he isn't to responsive to NO at this stage either.

Is there something I am missing or is just down to persevering.

Thanks

Craig & Rikki

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We used a water bottle and would spray the side of the face with a firm NO..... eventually, they see the bottle when you pick it up and stop. many disagree with this type of method but it is effective and harmless. Once, they re trained, the bottle just goes away

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
We always had a nylabone with us when we were sitting in the living room. When Henry, and then Clyde, were pups. When they would start to chew on us we would hold the bone and and have them chew it while we held it. That way if he wants to keep chewing your hand, you stick the bone in his mouth instead. I think it was the holding the bone as opposed to giving it that worked.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
With Winnie we had to use the water bottle also. Nothing else worked with her--not distraction, yelping, giving her chewy things--nothing! We couldn't even play with her for the biting! Like Christine, after a while with the water bottle, she would only have to see the bottle and would stop biting. I wore the same jeans the whole time she was going through that stage, because they got holes in them from all the biting--no point in wearing anything nice!

I feel for you having young children and going through this phase with Duncan. I had my 3 grandsons who visited a lot when Winnie was that age. She is 16 months old now and she is great with them, but it was pretty awful for a while. I would strongly recommend using the crate for her. Another thing that was an immense help was putting up some baby gates. It's just so convenient to be able to shut them in another room, if even just for a few minutes.

The good news is that this phase doesn't last forever. Winnie quit biting completely by the time she was 5 months old and she would die before she would bite someone now. She is also very affectionate, even for a bully! I'll bet Duncan will be the same way. Welcome to EBN and hang in there. I promise it gets better!

OP
L

Little Dunc

Oct 21, 2015
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Duncan
Thanks for the advice, he is really good with the kids it's just his playful hour that proves the hardest ha, I will give the water bottle a go!

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Like Winnie, Bella was a horrible biter. I couldn't pet or play with her. She was almost sadistic about it, I think she bit more when I said, "ouch!"

Just in case Dunc is like Bella, I will say that my girl actually liked the water bottle spray. She thought it was a game.

For us, the life saver was her playpen. Man, that thing saved me. I highly recommend it! I bought two!

Amazon.com : IRIS Indoor/Outdoor Plastic Pet Pen with 8 Panels : Pet Playpens : Pet Supplies

The 8-panel one worked best for us, as it's higher than the 4-panel. (My girl would try to jump, climb out.)

When she was out of the playpen, I'd redirect her to her toys.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Weesie and I used contact solution. When I hosed them I made a psssstt sound. The contact solution was put away but an occasional psssstt sound comes out and they jump. It funny now but puppy teeth hurt. Psssstt hang in there.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Same with Lockjaw - I think he saw my girls (10 & 6) as playmates and not a leader. He especially nipped at my youngest. I had to teach my girls how to 1- redirect with a toy, but 2- say STRONGLY and LOUDLY, "NO BITE!". It worked with my 10 yr old- but not my youngest. The last time he nipped at my youngest my husband was there and he actually grazed her leg and left a small welt- well needless to say my husband freaked on him! (I got onto my husband)- BUT , that was the last time he's nipped at anyone. That was about 2/3 weeks ago. He's also about 5 1/2 months and I think done teething for the most part. Find what works and stay consistent. Penny on the other hand was complete opposite- never nipped or bit at all. I keep saying she's almost the perfect dog! Once she stops pooping in her crate at least once a week- I believe she'll live up to the title. Lol- GOOD LUCK! This too shall pass!

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Not only with Charlie but with our prior lab puppy, Apollo, I would wrap his chop around his milk tooth and squeeze giving the "no bite" command. At first, I thought it was a bit rough watching the breeder demonstrate but it was effective and it won't take long before they begin to understand.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.