Growling and barking

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hello!

Otis is almost 7, and beginning this year he began growling (sometimes) if we check/clean his paws. It gets to the point where I would just sit in front of him waiting for him to stop growling and barking. Other times, he's fine. I've only had him for 2.5 years, and he's never growled at us before.

Not sure what to do, but if anyone has advice please help [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hello!

Otis is almost 7, and beginning this year he began growling (sometimes) if we check/clean his paws. It gets to the point where I would just sit in front of him waiting for him to stop growling and barking. Other times, he's fine. I've only had him for 2.5 years, and he's never growled at us before.

Not sure what to do, but if anyone has advice please help [emoji4]

What are you using? It could be that whatever you are using is burning or stinging, etc so he sees it as bad. Or could he possibly have a hurt paw? A cut, or blister?

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION]

Sometimes we soak it in Epsom salts, other times it's coconut oil. His paws are very yeasty but it's being treated and they're improving. Then sometimes he'll let you touch his paws.

Other times he just starts growling if you touch him. He's never snapped at us or acted this way. I'm more concerned it'll escalate.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@TyTysmom

Sometimes we soak it in Epsom salts, other times it's coconut oil. His paws are very yeasty but it's being treated and they're improving. Then sometimes he'll let you touch his paws.

Other times he just starts growling if you touch him. He's never snapped at us or acted this way. I'm more concerned it'll escalate.

Hmmm... are you diluting the epsom salt well? I don't see that causing any pain. Have you inspected his paws, bc he may have a little cut or something small and its perhaps irritating? That's all I can think of. Other than that - I would use a treat (if you're not already) so show him the treat first. Then clean his paws, once done, reward. This shows him that he'll get something out of it. After I clean Tyson from coming inside, he promptly walks over to where his treats are and looks up. LOL can't slack with him. Ha!

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION]

I'll try that! Thank you.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Are you using Coconut oil on the yeasty paws?

Like [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] said, it could be a cut or scrape. Have you looked at the paw pad? Sometimes it's difficult to see if it's cut or irritated - you really need to spread it apart and take a good look.
I'm thinking something on his paw is hurting him, and cleaning just aggravates it.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
[MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION]

His paws are pretty raw from the yeast, but they're getting better. I'll keep an eye on it and try to be more gentle when cleaning.

But there are the odd times when he growls at us for touching him and begins to bark. Then all of a sudden he'll snap out of it and try to give us paw?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@nycbullymama

His paws are pretty raw from the yeast, but they're getting better. I'll keep an eye on it and try to be more gentle when cleaning.

But there are the odd times when he growls at us for touching him and begins to bark. Then all of a sudden he'll snap out of it and try to give us paw?

Is it all paws that he growls or a certain one or just front vs. back? I ask this because our girl, banks, would let you do whatever you wanted to her front paws, but her back paws were sensitive at times and I think it had to do with the arthritis in her hips and back --- we learned how to position her as to not get her growling when we would go to clean them or have her nails cut.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

It's usually the front paws, the back you can touch and move no problem. But the past two days he'll growl at me no matter where I touch him, not every time but the odd time. Then other times he's such a suck and can't get enough rubs. Which is strange. I'm not sure what's causing it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

It's usually the front paws, the back you can touch and move no problem. But the past two days he'll growl at me no matter where I touch him, not every time but the odd time. Then other times he's such a suck and can't get enough rubs. Which is strange. I'm not sure what's causing it.

Have you had the vet do a full exam? Ok, Banks story again.... She never and i mean never put her teeth in us and in a weeks time she had growled and placed her teeth on both of us! I made an appointment and said somethings is not right ... Examine her top to bottom.... Turned out she ate a rock and it was bouncing around her belly causing a lot of discomfort.... My point is, could he be hurt or in some other type of pain.... Upset belly, sore joints, bad tooth? Anything and this is a redirect of pain?

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus

That's my next step. Not too sure what's going on with him.

Glad everything was sorted out with Banks!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.