Spite Pooping?

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Earlier this week, my wife and I started to close Rocco out of our bedroom at night. We want to break the habit now before the baby comes in April. However, Rocco has been pooping on the floor overnight every night. He has never done this before. Even when we're both at work all day. I wake up to poop every morning now. He knows he shouldn't and you can tell how guilty he feels when we point to it. I haven't used a cage in almost 2 years with him. Is this my only option at this point? Has anybody dealt with anything similar?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Hi Matt, why do you want Rocco out? Does he sleep soundly at night? If you don't want him in your bed maybe you can get him a doggie bed and he can sleep on the floor. I think if you lock him out altogether or put him in a crate after 2yrs of freedom you are going to create resentment. He was your first baby.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Earlier this week, my wife and I started to close Rocco out of our bedroom at night. We want to break the habit now before the baby comes in April. However, Rocco has been pooping on the floor overnight every night. He has never done this before. Even when we're both at work all day. I wake up to poop every morning now. He knows he shouldn't and you can tell how guilty he feels when we point to it. I haven't used a cage in almost 2 years with him. Is this my only option at this point? Has anybody dealt with anything similar?

Definitely spite. Tyson did this to my husband when he shut him out of the bathroom. He peed right there at the door in anger. Like Rosalie, why put him out? Does he want up on the bed? Maybe you can get him something new and comfy for the floor? (If that's the case?)

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
We want to keep him from sleeping in the bed. Even with his own bed on the floor, he always jumps onto our bed. I must admit, it is nice to not have him between my legs and preventing me from moving. Our bed is his favorite piece of furniture in the house.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We want to keep him from sleeping in the bed. Even with his own bed on the floor, he always jumps onto our bed. I must admit, it is nice to not have him between my legs and preventing me from moving. Our bed is his favorite piece of furniture in the house.

Yikes, its hard to break a dog out of old habits. Just thinking..... how about trying the crate in the room for a while? Or, don't laugh at me here, but maybe raising the bed to where he can't jump on it? Our bed is high, and Tyson can't jump on it. I know they make those raiser things you can add to the bottom of each post? Just thinking of ideas here. LOL Would he still be able to jump if higher? I'm thinking he'll want to be in, esp when the baby arrives, bc they become protective.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think if you stay consistent with putting him down each time he will get the message. I'm going to give you a little been there done that advice. My kids are 23, 19, and 16 and I have raised many dogs over the years, and the one rule I always stayed consistant with is, NO BABIES IN THE BED!!!! lol It is a disaster in the making as you see with Rocco.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Good luck trying to get him out of the bed. I don't really have any advice. The pooping on the floor is definitely spite pooping. The only bulldog we ever tried to get out of our bed, would actually howl at the door until we gave up and let her back in. She did the same thing when we put her in one of the kids' rooms and shut his door, until my son couldn't take it anymore and let her out. She was so stubborn, she would howl all night. She won that fight and always slept in the bed.

Maybe you could get him a special new bed, like a coolaroo. Then make a big deal about what a good boy he is sleeping in it. Again, good luck. Update us, 'cause I'd like to know what works!

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
I think if you stay consistent with putting him down each time he will get the message. I'm going to give you a little been there done that advice. My kids are 23, 19, and 16 and I have raised many dogs over the years, and the one rule I always stayed consistant with is, NO BABIES IN THE BED!!!! lol It is a disaster in the making as you see with Rocco.

I agree 100% with Rosalie. Our two are not permited in our bedroom. Even our daughter never slept in our bed. We keep the boys locked out. But with Rocco at this point he is what he is. When poop is involved I would give Rocco the bed and I would sleep on the couch.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree 100% with Rosalie. Our two are not permited in our bedroom. Even our daughter never slept in our bed. We keep the boys locked out. But with Rocco at this point he is what he is. When poop is involved I would give Rocco the bed and I would sleep on the couch.
I agree, poop in the morning is not optimal when it not your own!!! lol

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
omg...I got nothing, am laughing too hard to think, sorry!

Not about the pooping but the entire thread & replies.

I'll be glad to take up bets on WHO wins this one.

(Hint...my money isn't on Matt)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I definitely agree with the spiteful pooing, they're smarter then we give them credit for. I hope it works out for you Matt.

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor

Yikes, its hard to break a dog out of old habits. Just thinking..... how about trying the crate in the room for a while? Or, don't laugh at me here, but maybe raising the bed to where he can't jump on it? Our bed is high, and Tyson can't jump on it. I know they make those raiser things you can add to the bottom of each post? Just thinking of ideas here. LOL Would he still be able to jump if higher? I'm thinking he'll want to be in, esp when the baby arrives, bc they become protective.

I'm in a similar boat as you, sans the spite pooping. We have always let Taco sleep in our bed, the bigger of our two bullies, but when we got our second one it was tough. The little guy wants to crossfit at night. My first solution, no laughing matter, was raise the bed. Taco can't get on it anymore, but Thor can spring up a solid 4' from a standing position, so it's no issue for him to get on or off. When we started making them sleep on the floor, Thor waited till about 3am, and like a bat out of hell would spring onto the bed, not caring where he landed, usually my wifes face. To add insult to injury, he would scamper off as soon as he landed, and find an open spot on the bed and pretend like he'd been sleeping there the whole time. I forgot to mention, this is not without the chorus of grunts, growls, and barks we got from both of them after moving them to the floor.

Solution: I ordered a giant crate on Amazon, and a crate cover. Both my boys roam free during the day, but this was purchases solely for sleeping. I gave Thor a bunch of treats for going inside it, and kept the gate open on it all day long. Thor is also a barker, and Taco is not, so we wanted something that would effect just him for barking when he wasn't supposed to. The noise collars had an 8' range, and the shock collars were not a solution in our eyes. We found one that has a small box that pumps citronella if the dog barks. We don't even have to turn it on anymore, just put it on him, and he won't bark. At night just before I go to bed, Thor goes into his crate, and I will shut the door. He is waiting for me in the morning, ready to play.

I wish we never let them start sleeping in the bed with us in the first place, but when my wife moved to the couch and left me and the dogs in the bed, I figured that she might stick around longer than the dogs :) It's so great to be able to move the blankets now, or roll over without landing on a dog, or to actually get a good nights sleep! I agree that the answer is going to be with constancy. but I found that by making the crate a place that reward happened helped us ease into it easier. You've gotta figure that eventually your pup will get sick of pooping in the same place he's going to have to sleep?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
This group of dogs I have now, sleep in their crates at night. I had no problem because from day 1, they went in at night. I have always given them a couple of treats,when they go in. This may sound strange, but if your bed is big enough-you may start with putting Rocco in the crate-on the bed. Then when he is used to the crate at night,put the crate down beside your bed. Give him a couple of his favorite treats when you start putting him in crate. What ever you decide to do,you have to stick with it.If the baby is going to be in your room-put the baby's bed in now,so that Rocco can get used to that.You don't want everything changing for him all at once.
When I had human babies,I never had them in bed with us-unless I was feeding them. Then when they were older I had dogs in bed. The dogs I had one time were dobermans-and I had RH, I woke up crippled every morning because two dobermans slept on my side,as they weren't allowed on my husband's side! After they passed, I never allowed dogs on my bed anymore,as they crippled me! It will be hard for Rocco to understand,but start now because you don't want him to resent the baby.
When you do have the baby, make sure you include him in everything that he is used to. Also I know people(who care) are quite fussy with the first. Dog licks, and a little dog hair doesn't hurt! I Pray to GOD that your baby is healthy and happy and that Rocco loves him/her.:up::bully::mansfriend::babysleep::baby:We miss you here and Best Wishes! [MENTION=9549]fastmatt613[/MENTION]

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Thank you for all the replies! For the first 2 months or so, rocco would sleep in his crate in the kitchen every night with no problem. I had to go away for work for a few days and the wife let him sleep in bed. The rest is history. We don't plan on having the baby in the bed ever but the bassinet will be in the bedroom in the beginning. I guess we might just try gradual crate training just for sleep and see how we fare. And [MENTION=13366]YHSublime[/MENTION] I completely agree with how better it is without a dog hogging up the blankets at night and being able to move lol

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
UPDATE: we started putting Rocco's bed in our room. We ignored him when he cried to get picked up on the bed. He eventually went to sleep on his bed. After a few nights, it became a routine and I'm happy to say he's back to his house broken ways with no spite poops!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.