Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: HELP PLEASE....severe aggression...ADVICE NEEDED

Quote Originally Posted by meganhicks View Post
    they did his blood i thought thyroid and it came back clean....they prescribed an anti anxiety med bc that was my second thinking and they did nothing so i took him off i dont want him on drugs he doesnt need! was curious iof any one can think of other medical issues that can cause aggression? but now i think it might just be hes alpha in my home bc he has been thus far. i looking forward to making some changes and trying the vibrating collar like suggested and hoping for the best! i love hima nd dont want to give up but im exhausted and have never had issues like this with my dogs (had 2 pugs previous that were "perfect")
    Megan, just be aware, anxiety meds can take months for full effect to occur.
    My smooshy face boy!

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dexter
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    This is the one I got. It has both tone and shock. I use the tone button. The green button

thanks for this!!!!
    have you ever used the shock part? or just always tone? or is tone become the warning and hope to not need the shock?

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

thanks for this!!!!
    have you ever used the shock part? or just always tone? or is tone become the warning and hope to not need the shock?
    I used the shock once when Frankie took scissors off of the counter and he dropped them right away. The tone usually works for us. sometimes now all we have to do is put the collar on and he behaves because he knows. Don't be afraid to use the "shock". On this collar it is static so not really zapping with a true shock. If it takes a "zap" to train him it's ok. They are very smart and learn fast. Do what you have to do to keep him. One thing I will caution though, and my husband is soooo guilty of it, is you have to remain calm at all times. Dexter will react from you and it will become a vicious circle. I handle Frankie much better and he listens to me right off the bat because I am calm throughout the episodes. My husband gets upset and Frankie knows it. I always say it is a pissing contest between them, lol, MEN!! anyway, let us know how it works.
    My smooshy face boy!

4. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

True, also...it can take trying a couple of meds before finding right one.

Had a Springer develop severe anxiety and they put him on Prozac. OMG! He
    turned very edgy & aggressive, we took him off and rehomed him to a friend
    with lots of time to be home and had a Springer Spaniel so knew the breed.
    This had gone on awhile and started when my son hit Jr High so never home,
    I'd gone back to work & Hubby worked & in school too. So...his issues were
    about abandonment, we solved it by rehoming because we had to be away
    and because of that, couldn't provide for his needs. It was a difficult decision,
    we loved Pecos so much, he was beautiful and such a great dog, we'd had him
    since 10 weeks old and rehomed him at 5 years old. He was happy in his new
    home, all that mattered to us

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Bully Bootie Duty Become a 4 Paw Member bengardradar's Avatar
    Real Name
    AMY
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Radar
    Likes (Received)

Has he had his rabies or distemper shot recently??

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dexter
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bengardradar View Post
    Has he had his rabies or distemper shot recently??
    yes
    i get his shots as soon as they are due.

so rabies and distemper a few weeks ago

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dexter
    Likes (Received)

hmm he was on it for 3 weeks and we went back to vets and he said if i didnt see any improvement to stop?....now im wondering if i should have continued for longer?
    maybe ill call the vets and see what they think (i have a new vet at same office)

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dexter
    Likes (Received)

for shock collar therapy
    do i just wait for behaviour or try to encourage it to correct it?

im so nervous to use it (i bought one after work)
    it says i need to shock to find appropriate level im scared...she also warned me it could cause aggression to worsen when shocked...anyone have experience with this?

Bully Bootie Duty Become a 4 Paw Member bengardradar's Avatar
    Real Name
    AMY
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Radar
    Likes (Received)

yes
    i get his shots as soon as they are due.

so rabies and distemper a few weeks ago
    @meganhicks - I don't want you or anyone else to take anything I say wrong - I have been through a whirl wind with Radar and just saying what has/hasn't worked for us and some things that I have learned through this whole process.

Radar is currently enrolled in a 5 week board and train program to help with some of the same issues you are going through -- I will try to keep our story short, but hopefully you will find something that may help, ease your mind and know that everyone on this site is here to help you and they are always here for you - trust me on this one this site is the only reason I have made it this long with out going completely insane.

Our Story: we got Radar at 11 weeks from a breeder brought him home( we also live in a small town so not a lot of social interaction with people kids other dogs etc) from day 1 bringing him home he spent his days at my in laws house where he didn't have any rules -- things went great till maybe Oct/Nov and he started getting snarky with people who visited the in laws house during the day he would have been about 14 months at this time, not all the time but occassionally - I tried to get my father in law to use the nothing in life is free to no avail. In December things started to change at home Radar started going after our 10 year old son, I couldn't have that so I did my research on the internet and immediately got in touch with the #1 dog thyroid expert in the United States, I told her our situation and the first thing she asked me was if Radar had had his rabies shot recently - he had over Thanksgiving break - she said that the rabies shot can cause these symptoms and put me in contact with a guy to do a herbal detox, we did that and had a full thyroid panel run - Did they run the full panel or just the basics - his results were smack dab in the normal area of everything they tested, so that wasn't it. At the same time as we were going through this Radar started limping and was put on some anti inflamitories The detox seemed to help a little but still had the episodes with him herding our son and strangers in our yard/house. I didn't know where else to turn or what else to do so we had a gentleman come to our house, he said he was a behaviorist but he was a quack, he taught us the same leader of the pack stuff that we need to eat before him, go out doors before him, if we guard a high value treat for 10 minutes he will be cured, my husband was not convinced, I didn't know what else to do so my son and I did the excercises, -- nothing changed. we went through this for quite a few months and nothing changed, Radar's nares were really tight so we made the appointment to have them fixed and his palate shortened in the mean time he was continuing to limp so we had an x-ray and he was diagnosed with a torn ACL so all surgeries were done at the same time. During the time up to Radar's recovery I did more research on training and techniques and tried to find someone who would come to our little 700 person town to train in home when he was all healed from surgery. I had also done enough research and reading that I knew that the force based training would not work, and that may be part of the reason he wasn't getting any better he was scared of us and I wanted the use positive reinforcement training - there are a ton of books out there about clicker training and positive training and a good majority of them are written by people who used to be of the Pack Leader force based training mind set and used it professionally to train there own and other peoples dogs, but have since found that positive training is better. I found someone who was willing to travel out of her normal training area and meet with us, she did and I LOVE HER she is so positive and believes in the positive training, so we set it up that when Radar was healed she would be training him -- long summer later we now have a tripawd bulldog. Radar left almost 4 weeks ago to go to board and train and we have seen him a few times and the change in him is amazing, we still don't know what triggered the agressive change in Radar, but with positive training he is a much happier more confident guy and not the fearful guy he was before.

Call the vet back and try the meds again, we use the generic version of Prozac from Walmart and its $10 for a 90 day supply -- you need to keep him on it that long to make sure it is working and they can't just stop taking it they need to be weaned off of it so the brain doesn't go hay wire

I know this a lot and I truly feel your pain, but stay strong(he can sense your fearful) PM me anytime and if you want some good books to read about clicker training, training and reading Dexter let me know I have read a ton of them, I will be more then happy to get you the names of a few or if you just want to talk, I am by no means an expert but I know what you are going through and the emotional drain that it is when you love them so much

STAY STRONG YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

11. Likes Texas Carol, Manydogs, 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

for shock collar therapy
    do i just wait for behaviour or try to encourage it to correct it?

im so nervous to use it (i bought one after work)
    it says i need to shock to find appropriate level im scared...she also warned me it could cause aggression to worsen when shocked...anyone have experience with this?
    I would go with a vibrate collar over a shock collar honestly. Bulldogs already have breathing issues & Id be scared to shock them did the place where you purchased it have vibration ones? Maybe you can swap it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dexter
    Likes (Received)

it is vibrating i just keep calling it shock.....

14. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

it is vibrating i just keep calling it shock.....
    Okay good! Please no shock. I would start as low as possible & only do it if he's having an episode. Gauge his response on the lowest setting and go from there if you need to increase. You only want him to relate it to bad behavior. Does it make any noise too?

Also praise & reward for good behavior so he sees the differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads