Help Needed! visitors obsession

minavag

Dec 31, 2013
Country
Greece
Bulldog(s) Names
Bully
Hi everyone.My Bully is 2 years old and he is almost perfect( for a bulldog) but very energetic.The only thing that troubles me is when we have friends at home .He wants to play and lick them and pet them all the time .He is very friendly with everyone but it is a little bit annoying.Any ideas?When we are only the family he is quiet.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
He is excited about the new visitors. We have the same problem. Harlea loves everyone and whats their attention badly. We have told all of our friends and family that come over that they are not to acknowledge her until she stops and sits down, and they tell her feet on the ground if she gets jumpy so she will eventually sit there and wait to get lovin'. If she doesn't settle down then she doesn't get the attention she wants and goes to her play pen as a sort of time out until she is ready to be calm.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Same issues here… we do the same, try to get the company to say "Hello" and then hopefully Wally will calm down. OUR problem is that most of our visitors WANT to play w/him and that stirs him up even more… Lol

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I've had 4 Bulldogs and everyone of them is like Bully. They have always assumed that any guests have come to see them! Sometimes I put Winnie in her crate and let her calm down before I let her out. Todd gave you good advice!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If you know the visitors are coming.... take her for a 15-20 minute walk before hand or leash her and tether the leash to you or a post in the home till she settles down, once she is calm, walk her to the guest and let them say hello only after she sits --- after a few sesions like this you will be able to tell her to sit and wait ..... it will take time, but it works.

OP
minavag

minavag

Dec 31, 2013
Country
Greece
Bulldog(s) Names
Bully
thank you all for your advice.Hopefully he doesn't jump on them but he is like a crazy horse.I will try your methods but the thing is that I will have to try them to the guests too,because they act as crazy too when they meet him

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The humans are usually the issue here.... We always just want to pet/love on them

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.