Metal Pinch Collars

Jeep2me

Apr 21, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since we have been on here and Poogan is growing so fast. He's eight months old now and just started some obedience classes. I have explored the forum looking for information on pinch collars because our trainer recommended that we use one. They properly fitted Poogan and explained how to use the collar properly (i.e. no pulling and only a quick tug to grab his attention). Honestly, I hate it; however, it seems to be working well and he doesn't seem to mind it all that much. I just want to make sure we aren't hurting our baby. We have an awesome Julius K-9 harness we were using before we started classes and plan on switching back asap when Poogan has some better manners (i.e. the pulling/jumping etc. subsides a bit.) But of course my main concern is his health. I just want to make sure that we are not damaging him in any way. We are very conservative with the quick pulls and never drag or hold the pull EVER! We never use it as a form of punishment and only keep it on for walks. I've seen some people say they have used it for EB's and others say never. Please help! The last thing I ever want to do is harm my little guy. Thank you all!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14083]Jeep2me[/MENTION] My dogs wear a harness. When I take the two biggest ones (one at a time) somewhere, I also put a collar such as the one pictured collar.jpgIf I try to walk them with the harness, they just pull. When they have the chain on, they walk perfectly. I very rarely have to give it a tug, as they seem to know to walk properly when this is on. I have always trained all my larger(bullies on up)dogs with this collar. Used properly, it does not hurt them,you very rarely even have to give it a "tug".

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They are scary looking but effective if used correctly... Also they are a training tool to be used for a period of time not forever. I would hesitate on a Bulldog due to the possibility of a narrow trachea and opt for the Julius or no-pull harness since he is a puller.

How old is Poogan?

OP
J

Jeep2me

Apr 21, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
Thank you everyone for the advice. Poogan is 8 months old now, time is flying by! He's not so much of a puller, instead he just doesn't like to walk down our apartment hallways. That alone wouldn't be frustrating because I know bully's can be stubborn; however, then he decides he can't make it out in time and goes right in the hallway...that is sometimes testing!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you everyone for the advice. Poogan is 8 months old now, time is flying by! He's not so much of a puller, instead he just doesn't like to walk down our apartment hallways. That alone wouldn't be frustrating because I know bully's can be stubborn; however, then he decides he can't make it out in time and goes right in the hallway...that is sometimes testing!

Little stinker

OP
J

Jeep2me

Apr 21, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
Hahaha, tell me about it!
20151007_112328.jpg

OP
J

Jeep2me

Apr 21, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
How much does Tyson weigh? Poogan about 55 lbs now, hopefully that's about tops haha.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
We had a trainer once who recommended the collar with the prongs. Is that called a pinch collar? He said it was actually more humane than a choke chain. I think either of those collars are fine if used correctly. That prong collar looks like a torture device, but it's not. I have used choke chains before as well, and they are effective and not harmful if used properly. A correction is just a quick jerk and release and it is the noise the chain makes that's the goal--you are not choking your dog to correct him. It's the name that freaks everyone out so--who wants to use a "choke chain" or a "pinch collar" on their dog?! [MENTION=14083]Jeep2me[/MENTION]

OP
J

Jeep2me

Apr 21, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
Thank you everyone! [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION], and we thought we had our hands full haha :whew: I never thought I could love a dog like I love our Poogan, so we really appreciate all of the knowledge everyone freely share on here

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.