miyuiki

Sep 23, 2015
Country
san francisco CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aurjwan
Hey

So my 10 weeks old English bulldog keeps biting me when I try to play with him. Also he keeps chasing my cat around my apartment and bits her. What should I do?

he is not getting the pee pad training, he poops everywhere :'( , my place kinda stinks lol

Any help and tips please

Cheers

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Hey

So my 10 weeks old English bulldog keeps biting me when I try to play with him. Also he keeps chasing my cat around my apartment and bits her. What should I do?

he is not getting the pee pad training, he poops everywhere :'( , my place kinda stinks lol

Any help and tips please

Cheers

Your bulldog puppy bites because all puppies bite, especially bullies! Winnie was a terrible biter when she was a pup--some are worse than others. You should say, "no bite" to him and give him something okay for him to bite like a toy or chew toy. In our case, that didn't really work. We got a spray bottle of water and squirted Winnie when she bit us while telling her "no bite!" If you are consistent and patient, all the biting will stop completely in a couple of months. The biting bully puppies do is so common it has a name--we refer to it as the shark phase.

This is just my personal preference, but I don't use pee pads for training. Some other members will probably have advice for that. In my opinion, best way to house train a puppy is to take him outside first thing in the morning, right after each meal, every hour during the rest of the day, and the last thing before bed. At 10 weeks, he will probably need to go out at least once and maybe twice in the night. For that, you can set your alarm. Do you have a crate for him? The crate can be a great tool to help in house training.

I don't know what to tell you about the cat! I've always had other dogs and puppies play with adult dogs--and bite them.
i can see how a cat might not like that! But my guess is that the cat will adjust. You could put up some baby gates to keep them separated at times. Congratulations on your new pup! Post some pictures!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
As for the puppy house training.....keep your eyes on them at all times and take them out on the hour. When they do something outside give them lots of praise for doing a good job. I used bacon bits and as soon as they did something outside I gave mine a small bacon bit. They figured out real fast that doing buisness outside meant treats for them. The puppy will have to go out during the night, mine would start barking for me to take them out becuase I put them in their crate and used a smaller crate at night so they didn't have much room and it forced them to want to get out to do their buisness. I have every size crate available because I have rescues and the Great Danes have to have the large crates. Anyway, as for the cat, well, in our house it is survival of the fittest. hehe Mine found their neutral position with each other and they still chase the cats on occassion, its part of having fun with the family members. One thing that works for us is we have baby gates up on all the bedrooms so the cats can jump over and get away. I let mine work that relationship out on their own. Good luck!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Donnam and Dalmatima38 have given you great advice. I also don't like using the Pee Pads because it confuses the puppy when you want them to go outside, and when you try to train them to go outside to potty, they will be used to going inside. The best wat to train a puppy is by schedule and lots of patience. The rule of thumb is that a puppy can hold its bladder for 1 hour for every month of age, so by 5 months, they should be able to hold for 6 hours. Also a puppy can't hold its bladder for the whole night, it's not mature enough yet. You have to set an alarm for 2:00 am and take him out for potty. I did this until they were 5 months old, then you should be able to eliminate the night time potty.

This is is the schedule I used for my guys and what worked for me

6:00 am: Out for potty, then feed them breakfast, then take them out once every hour, after eating, and after playing
Continue this schedule during the day and feed again at 12:00 noon and again at 6:00 pm. Take him out for
his last walk at 10:00 or 11:00 pm.

For each month of age increase the time between potty breaks by 1 hour. It is more your schedule than theirs
During training, but you want them to learn to go outside.

Once my pups were 5 months old,they were fully trained and I no longer had to take them out at night.
This is the schedule they are on now:

6:00 am: Out for Potty, then breakfast

10:00 am: Out for a potty break, and if it's nice out and not to hot, we go for a walk.

3:00 pm: Out for a potty break

6:00pm: Feed them Dinner, and usually a long walk in the evening

10:00 pm: Out for their last potty break

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
we litter trained our pups but as they got older we moved litter box closer and closer to the door so eventually it went out and so did they.. and for the biting.. our abbey was bad at it and my husband called her the devil dog because her ears didn't lay down like most bulldogs,, he called them her devil horns.. lol... but now, no lie, he calls her princess, so much so she hardly goes by abbey,, so hang in there.. it will work out.. better get gloves for a while.. lol.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
What everyone said there not nor is any pup LOW maintenance, think of it as kids that never grow up lol , I have a 10 week old here now and 4 other adult dogs , as I teach so do the older dogs , Kids and pups are so full of energy, they need to get tired so you can have a break sometimes. We are 50 50 on hitting the pads here ok , I remember someone here told Me something and they were so on the button per month of age they can hold there poop and pee 1 hr , so a 8 week old pup max hold is 2 hrs ok and there will be slight adjustments depending on your pup and or my pup that is why I use pads just My opinion and I am home all the time but I can not be up all night right either tho , keep us up to date I have one home too now so curious how ya make out , it will take time just like a child and they should be treated as such everything is new to them there like sponges lol but make mistakes .

OP
M

miyuiki

Sep 23, 2015
Country
san francisco CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aurjwan
Hello,

Thanks all for the great replies, I have school but I will try as much as possible to make a schedule for him to go outside and poop.

Its been hard taking care of him up to now lol, but I hope that changes soon.

cheers

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Puppies bite, that's what they do. he will grow out of it. To help with it, when he does say loudly OUCH!! no bite and then offer a chew toy, every time. As far as the pooping goes, they do not potty train over night. It can take months. So you need to take him out at least every two hours, and after eating, playing, or when they first wake up from a nap. Don't get mad at him for peeing or pooping in the house, get mad at yourself for not taking him out sooner or reading the signs. Give it time, he will get better, and cherish the puppy days, they will be gone before you know it.

christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
My bully was what I would like to think of as the worst possible puppy...FOR THE LONGEST TIME. He really seemed to enjoy biting me..I cried every day at some point due to not knowing what else to do. It was CONSTANT redirecting and saying NO BITE in a stern but calm voice (which it was hard to keep calm half of the time!). I took the advice from everyone on here and had faith that it would get better, and it has. (He is 9 months tomorrow!) BUT, just a fair warning....once you see the light at the end of the tunnel, don't get too comfortable with it as the behaviors will show up out of the blue occasionally but just stick with it! It gets better!! As for the cat, my dog really enjoys terrorizing both of mine. It's gotten slightly better but we are definitely still working on that situation! LOL. GOOD LUCK!!! :)

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
You have gotten great advice so far. We had the cat issue with radar when we first got him, we had 2 cats in the house unfortunately my tank died so I gave our other cat Harry to my sister who had recently lost a cat as well. Fast forward radar is a 3 legged social misfit so i arranged a 5 week board and train for him 30 days or so before he left a kitten showed up on our front step with a limp and it's eyes matted shut I am a softy so brought her inside took her to vet got her all fixed up then kept her in a room away from radar until he got back from training. He has been home almost 2 weeks and we have 0 issues with the crazy 4 month old kitten. Impulse control and desensitizing him to the cat WORKS. In our struggles I have done and tried it all and using nothing in life is free , reward the good ignore the bad and impulse control has changed our house. It is a puppy stage as well but also a learning stage reward when he isn't biting and you are playing if he bites when playing get up/turn your back for 20 seconds it won't happen over night but ultimately they want to make us happy and have fun and training can be fun and thinking makes them tired. Our trainer was here tonight and a cute pic of Margaret uploadfromtaptalk1446700945272.jpg
4bbf07a0e728baffb42abd8dac7aeac5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online