Advise needed my bulldog won't share

Mishell

Apr 6, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley
Hi everyone
I have a very social bulldog until it comes to a toy , his water bowl , a stick or anything he would like to call his own coming into play he then becomes very protective of it and snaps and growls at other dogs I'm wondering if anyone else's dog does this and if so have you had a successful idea to stop the behaviour
Thank you mishell

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I've got two boys and they haven't been able to share since the younger one matured. If you find out how they could share, do share:D

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Charlie is now six months and has become that way at the local pet store where a bigger and older American bulldog squared off over affection and treats. It was always fun and games when he was younger but for safety sake, we avoid those interactions like the plague.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
FTSE does not share what his is his and what's ours is his but he doesn't growl just stands over it or lays with it between his paws but he will let the kids to a degree touch his stuff

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Yup, mine does (gets snappy and growls that is) but w/my children, not w/other dogs (yet). I have to hide his bone until the girls leave the house and he guards his food container if the pantry door is open. He also guarded a broom once (but that was just bazaar).
The only thing that works for us is…I taught him "release" when he was just a puppy so if he takes one of the girls' toys/stuffed animals and holds it growling…he will release as soon as he hears that and most of the time walks away (with a grudge).
Other than that, there is NO getting his favorites away, they're his and his alone…that's why he has his own "stash" lol

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Yes the same as you Diva does not share and also steals other dogs toys to boot , she is 11 now and I have never found a way to stop this so far sorry .

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yeah, I think I'm with you and it seems other too. Tyson won't share at all. He'll even warn me if I reach in too close to an antler or toy. I have to distract him if I want to get it up. He's always been like that, the only toy he'll let me pick up is his Kong if its empty, and I think its because he knows I'll refill it for him, LOL

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue is the same way. He will not share. If Wellie wants what Blue has, he slowly makes his way in and grabs it.

Anyone else even comes close to something he has, and he does the warning growl. We've been working on it for a long time and made a little progress.
But if he wants it bad enough, nothing works, not even food.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs have always been good about sharing. Now that they are grown, I have had to break up a few fights over nylabones. :guns::girlfight:They have a whole toybox full,several of the same-but they have to have the one that is being chewed on by someone else. Maude used to just go take it. Now they are not giving in, and it sometimes results in a fight,which just happened about two minutes ago. So far,I can pull one off and reprimand them and they quit! I hate dog fights! Sometimes my little poodles would fight, but that was much less "drama":fight:

AnnoyedNextdoor

Aug 4, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
tugboat
there are different things you can do but some dogs are just like that. do you have little kids running around? if so and he growls snaps at them you might want to think about finding another home for him where he is the only dog and no kids.

OP
Mishell

Mishell

Apr 6, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley
He is never a problem with kids or humans in general just jumps around like a puppy to play Chumley turns two in December I thought I could get a animal behaviour person in and invite his friend who he sees most days over and see what advice he has to offer

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
there are different things you can do but some dogs are just like that. do you have little kids running around? if so and he growls snaps at them you might want to think about finding another home for him where he is the only dog and no kids.
I may be taking this a little too personal and I do not advocate any pet posing a dangerous threat to a child (I want to be perfectly clear about that)…That being said, there is a difference between an aggressive dog that will attack and a guarding dog that is territorial…I have witnessed this personally. Although Bass is my first bulldog, I have had dogs growing up and a growling, snapping dog is nothing to take lightly, but understanding this behavior is key.
I do have little kids running around, they have grown right along with Sebastion. We've had him since he was about 10 weeks old and he has been an equal part of our family. He considers himself a sibling and my (favorite) child. I did not go into this blindly and did my share of researching bulldogs. I educated myself on their behavior and interaction with people (especially children).

This is very important for anyone, not just families with children! My children (including Bass) range from young to teenage and are all very different personality wise…but I know each of their personalities well and continue to get to know them as they grow.
This is the same for my Bass. He has emotions, just like you and me, he has moods, he has feelings, good days and bad days, just like you and me. He can be stubborn, fight for my affection, choose not to listen, just like you and me.
He knows his place in our "pack" and fights to keep it that way when it comes to his possessions… My 13 year old does the same thing…It's imperative to teach family members how to interact, to teach them what is acceptable and what will not be tolerated. That is our job as parents (or owners). This works well in my household and it is a safe environment for all my babies!
While I do not know what other people's exact situation is with aggressive behavior, and would never suggest a family keep a dangerous animal that causes fear...the topic in this particular thread was regarding "becoming very protective", "not sharing"…and asking for a "successful" idea. For someone to suggest rehoming a bulldog that growls and gets snappy over not sharing says only one thing to me personally and that is that they have not educated themselves fully in bulldog behavior. I apologize if that last statement is ignorant of my perception and I mean no offense other than speaking from the point of view of a mother with "little kids running around" and a "growling" bulldog coping with siblings...because one of those little kids "running around" is my precious boy, Bass.

AnnoyedNextdoor

Aug 4, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
tugboat
He is never a problem with kids or humans in general just jumps around like a puppy to play Chumley turns two in December I thought I could get a animal behaviour person in and invite his friend who he sees most days over and see what advice he has to offer

Oh that sounds fine seems like typical puppy behavior. i am old and have lots and lots of dogs over the years and many have been like that especially around other dogs.

to me it's just a little personal because i remember when our grandson was bit on the face when he was 2 by my daughter in laws moron corgi mix. they had to take him to the emergency room his face was all swollen and purple and my daughter in law was all mad that she had to get rid of the corgi. i told her and my son that there are millions of wonderful dogs in the world that need homes that won't bite my grandson so they replaced him with a fat little french bulldog named lou that played with the baby all day long.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

It could be you have to go back to basics with training.... are you familiar with 'nothing in life is free? try that and also bring in a trainer as you do not want this getting any more developed

OP
Mishell

Mishell

Apr 6, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley
I understand where your coming from Chumley is a perfect dog around humans plays soccer and tug with both my boys 18 and 10 but I have taught them over the past 20 months they must be the leader he never attempts to snap at my children or anyone else's and he listens to every word I say and Chumley knows his place , but his best bud is also a bulldog and just turned 12 months and he doesn't want to share even his water bowl and especial any play toy I have an idea just through research I will give a go before I get a behaviour trainer in , favourite treats he would die for cabonosi and havarti cheese and I'm going invite his friend to our house for a play where everything is his and see if I can achieve results that I want

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.