Help Needed! Puppy Acting Out!!!

TheFknHansons

Sep 25, 2015
Lebanon PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
Hoping someone has been in a similar situation and prevailed...

We have a 9 week old EB (partially housebroken and knows to go outside or let us know) and she has recently been doing the following. She is doing these things at certain parts of the day and most of the day she is chill and pleasant.

Excessive biting of everything
Random running spurts
Ignoring all voice/noises in general (she is not at all deaf)
Urinating in same spot as if purposely in the house (after we have taken her out/given commands)
Running behind furniture where its hard for us to get (behind tv...etc)

Now...she also has done well with these things (mind you we have only had her 6 days):

Sleeping well in her crate
No barking
Has not destroyed anything
Poops outside only
Eats well

We thought we'd ask this because we have read that she is showing signs of dominant behavior such as taking the lead in her mouth, ignoring calls/commands, running ahead of us while walking, and nipping at hands and feet while walking and throughout day.

Any experiences or advice is appreciated :) image.jpegimage.jpeg

Tarpon65

Jul 11, 2015
Sarasota, Florida
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Sounds like a typical puppy to me. Mine is 13 weeks old and just when you think they have figured out where to go potty, they will squat down in the house while looking directly at you, LOL. We keep plenty of toys for the puppy to chew on instead of us or the furniture.

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Sounds like my Charlie at her age but she'll soon outgrow all of those things but for now, you have to be in charge. Charlie now is 5 months and there were times I thought I was going to lose my "ish" and I had a few "come to jesus" meetings with him letting him know what was right and wrong. The Monks of New Skete believe that there are 5 things that dogs mustn't do; poop or pee in the house, steal food, become aggressive, disobey commands, and challenge you-these behaviors must be corrected immediately and of course there are pros and cons to their approach, I try to find the middle road to discipline.
Charlie was our first EB-Ive owned English Labs for the last twenty years and wasn't really prepared for his personality. Even after all the reading and preparation before owning our first bulldog, I still wasn't prepared, just a whole new mind set. But Ive come to appreciate him and how bright he really is in a very short time. This forum is the best and has helped me and the family to make Charlie's life so much better, its an invaluable tool you'll come to count on month by month-good luck!!IMG_0509.jpg

OP
TheFknHansons

TheFknHansons

Sep 25, 2015
Lebanon PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
Thank you so much! We are having a heck of a day with her...she is just hating anything we do to show her we are in charge. We will keep working at it!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14854]TheFknHansons[/MENTION] :ROFL: I laugh because this is typical bullie pup behavior! Sometimes they will try your patience,other times they will make you laugh! They are very smart, and don't do things just to please you, as they have a mind of their own. They are very strong willed, and bribery seems to work best for training them. Getting the "zoomies," and biting spells are totally normal,but you must have some very tough toys to redirect their biting spells. They slow down with the biting(you've got to keep at it,)and when they get their second teeth(4/5) months,there should not be any more biting. They are really not like any other dog. That is part of their "charm"!

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
@TheFknHansons :ROFL: I laugh because this is typical bullie pup behavior! Sometimes they will try your patience,other times they will make you laugh! They are very smart, and don't do things just to please you, as they have a mind of their own. They are very strong willed, and bribery seems to work best for training them. Getting the "zoomies," and biting spells are totally normal,but you must have some very tough toys to redirect their biting spells. They slow down with the biting(you've got to keep at it,)and when they get their second teeth(4/5) months,there should not be any more biting. They are really not like any other dog. That is part of their "charm"!
:yell::rofl: most of us have been there the shark phase was the worst stay consistent with your commands, rewards timing is everything correct immediately and praise praise praise
By 6 months most of your problems should be over - hang in there it is so worth it

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
HA HA HA sounds Familiar Rosie is 9 weeks old now also , Rosie does all those , but you are lucky Rosie poops on the puppy pad MOST times in house ( middle of the night is worse as I am a sleep ) Rosie p,s on the puppy pads now YEAHHH sounds like Roxy has got the poop part right .
You sound like you have a normal Bulldog Pup to Me , Every single thing is new to Roxy everything , she will want like a child to explore behind things under things ect ect , Buy a bottle of Natures Miracle or similar NO PUPPY CHEW, spray electrical cords FIRST that she might have access too . Like having a toddler you have to get down on you knees and crawl around look from there prospective at everything and remember that to them that it might look interesting to say chew on or pull on . you must PUPPY PROOF your house . Right now Roxy and Rosie are starting to Teeth so everything and I mean everything is chew-able.
The spurts of energy are huge normal play with her a lot , wear her out especial before bed time so ya get some sleep and she does also take her for walks is fun too , there sponges like kids right now train em the way you want them , I have more pics of Rosie right now sleeping because she is worn out and it allows Me to have a quiet three fingers of scotch on the rocks before she wakes up lol .

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
It's totally normal. I thought Bella was going to be some kind of a bully psychopath because she seemed to like inflicting pain, and she would aggressively bark back to me when I corrected her.

:ROFL::ROFL:

I'd be lying if I said I was never afraid.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
VERY typical behavior… I would advise starting some training to help w/the madness. We used a personal trainer, and Leah has helped us tremendously!!!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
She's just a puppy so I really don't think it's a dominance thing. Puppies chew leads until they get used to it and at that age, sure she can hear you, but she doesn't actually understand all of your commands or what you want. Make sure you're rewarding good behavior with treats, praise, and affection. Redirecting works better at this age because any big attention you give to their bad behavior can just excite them and make them want to do it more or run around the room doing zoomies.

OP
TheFknHansons

TheFknHansons

Sep 25, 2015
Lebanon PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
OMG she loves doing zoomies LOL We will start reacting less to her bad behavior and redirect her.

Thank you :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She is being a typical 9 week old puppy. They will not be fully potty trained until around 6 to 7 months of age and even then will have accidents here and there. The biting is normal, they will out grow this. they love to get behind things, so block them off if you don't want her back there. They don't listen very well either, just like human kids, they will learn in time. She is just a baby and can not and will not learn over night. Enjoy the puppy months, as they don't last that long. She will get better in time. Plus read this short articular, it may help.

English Bulldog News Forums - I Am Your Puppy

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So much being a puppy! Schedule is eveything also -- look into using 'Nothing in life is free'.... even at 9-10 wks old, it helps and works!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.