Thread: Has to go out every 20 minutes?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bowser
    Likes (Received)

Default Has to go out every 20 minutes?

Hi there!

So our Bowser is almost 5 months old. He's had 3 accidents total in his crate. He hasn't had any in about a month.

We have a dog walker come twice a day when we are at work Monday through Friday, but will be cutting it down to once a day in October. He holds his bladder just fine during the day (up to 4.5 hours - haven't tested longer) and usually for at least 8 hours at night.

So that's the background. Here's my actual question/issue:

When he is out of his crate, he wants to go out every 20 minutes or so (goes to the door for our fenced in back yard). He does actually pee each time we let him out. We don't know if he really has to go though, or if he just wants to go out just because. We've been to scared to try to get him to hold it longer for fear of an accident.

Any suggestions?

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Has to go out every 20 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by quackattack View Post
    Hi there!

So our Bowser is almost 5 months old. He's had 3 accidents total in his crate. He hasn't had any in about a month.

We have a dog walker come twice a day when we are at work Monday through Friday, but will be cutting it down to once a day in October. He holds his bladder just fine during the day (up to 4.5 hours - haven't tested longer) and usually for at least 8 hours at night.

So that's the background. Here's my actual question/issue:

When he is out of his crate, he wants to go out every 20 minutes or so (goes to the door for our fenced in back yard). He does actually pee each time we let him out. We don't know if he really has to go though, or if he just wants to go out just because. We've been to scared to try to get him to hold it longer for fear of an accident.

Any suggestions?
    I would have him checked by the vet, he could have a UTI if that's not normally how often he goes.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bowser
    Likes (Received)

I'm not really sure how often he goes because he's always wanted to go that frequently when out of his crate

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bowser
    Likes (Received)

I guess I should mention he drinks A LOT too. Told the vet. They said it could be because he's just thirsty because of the heat and that he would start worrying if he's still like this when it gets cooler out

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

I think it could be that he just likes to go outside--and when he's out there, he just pees. Before we got our doggy door, we were constantly letting the dogs in and out, in and out, all the time. A lot of the times, they just wanted to go outside. But when they ask to go out, you think they may need to pee, so you let them out. You know how boys pee all the time when they are on a walk? They pee just because they are marking or whatever. My puppy I have now pees every time he goes out and sometimes it's a tiny amount. It sounds like he's doing very well for 5 months!

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I think it has a lot to do with the heat right now and him drinking a lot. These guys are VERY smart and if you give him treats every time he goes out they will do it just for the treats. If he checks out ok with the vet and there's no UTI I wouldn't worry about it, he will grow out of it the older he gets. Congrats on going a month without an accident! That's great!

7. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    I think it has a lot to do with the heat right now and him drinking a lot. These guys are VERY smart and if you give him treats every time he goes out they will do it just for the treats. If he checks out ok with the vet and there's no UTI I wouldn't worry about it, he will grow out of it the older he gets. Congrats on going a month without an accident! That's great!
    My youngest one rings the bells when she wants to go out. @dolphin is right,about the treats. Once I felt she didn't have to go THAT much (at 10 months-she took longer than the others) I realized she was conning me! Now I know her schedule,but sometimes she will ring the bells just because she is bored. I don't fall for it,unless I know it's about the right time to go! Now they get a treat occasionally after they come up on the porch.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

9. Likes dolphin liked this post
    Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member punky's Avatar
    Real Name
    gail
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
    Likes (Received)

my rocky did that before we had him fixed.. i thought it was a territory thing...

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

He may just want to be outside and while he is out there, he pees or marks. @dolphin is right, they are little con artists! If you treat they will know it. Frankie will cry to go out and when I let him out, he circles the deck, and comes right back inside and sits for a treat! I tell him "no way Jose, ya can't trick me"!
    My smooshy face boy!

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

I agree they're totally con artists! Let him out to potty but then make him come directly back inside. Ruckus used to try and go outside frequently like that -- I have a bell on the door and he knows to ring it if he needs to potty....sometimes he rings it just because he wants to sun himself.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bowser
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone!

We've never given him treats when going outside and we go inside as soon as he's done his business.

I think I'll try just not giving in for a certain amount of time. I'll start with an hour and work my way up.

Thanks again!

14. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads