Has to go out every 20 minutes?

quackattack

Jun 1, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Hi there!

So our Bowser is almost 5 months old. He's had 3 accidents total in his crate. He hasn't had any in about a month.

We have a dog walker come twice a day when we are at work Monday through Friday, but will be cutting it down to once a day in October. He holds his bladder just fine during the day (up to 4.5 hours - haven't tested longer) and usually for at least 8 hours at night.

So that's the background. Here's my actual question/issue:

When he is out of his crate, he wants to go out every 20 minutes or so (goes to the door for our fenced in back yard). He does actually pee each time we let him out. We don't know if he really has to go though, or if he just wants to go out just because. We've been to scared to try to get him to hold it longer for fear of an accident.

Any suggestions?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi there!

So our Bowser is almost 5 months old. He's had 3 accidents total in his crate. He hasn't had any in about a month.

We have a dog walker come twice a day when we are at work Monday through Friday, but will be cutting it down to once a day in October. He holds his bladder just fine during the day (up to 4.5 hours - haven't tested longer) and usually for at least 8 hours at night.

So that's the background. Here's my actual question/issue:

When he is out of his crate, he wants to go out every 20 minutes or so (goes to the door for our fenced in back yard). He does actually pee each time we let him out. We don't know if he really has to go though, or if he just wants to go out just because. We've been to scared to try to get him to hold it longer for fear of an accident.

Any suggestions?

I would have him checked by the vet, he could have a UTI if that's not normally how often he goes.

OP
quackattack

quackattack

Jun 1, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
I'm not really sure how often he goes because he's always wanted to go that frequently when out of his crate :unsure:

OP
quackattack

quackattack

Jun 1, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
I guess I should mention he drinks A LOT too. Told the vet. They said it could be because he's just thirsty because of the heat and that he would start worrying if he's still like this when it gets cooler out :unsure:

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I think it could be that he just likes to go outside--and when he's out there, he just pees. Before we got our doggy door, we were constantly letting the dogs in and out, in and out, all the time. A lot of the times, they just wanted to go outside. But when they ask to go out, you think they may need to pee, so you let them out. You know how boys pee all the time when they are on a walk? They pee just because they are marking or whatever. My puppy I have now pees every time he goes out and sometimes it's a tiny amount. It sounds like he's doing very well for 5 months!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think it has a lot to do with the heat right now and him drinking a lot. These guys are VERY smart and if you give him treats every time he goes out they will do it just for the treats. If he checks out ok with the vet and there's no UTI I wouldn't worry about it, he will grow out of it the older he gets. Congrats on going a month without an accident! That's great!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I think it has a lot to do with the heat right now and him drinking a lot. These guys are VERY smart and if you give him treats every time he goes out they will do it just for the treats. If he checks out ok with the vet and there's no UTI I wouldn't worry about it, he will grow out of it the older he gets. Congrats on going a month without an accident! That's great!

My youngest one rings the bells when she wants to go out. [MENTION=6717]dolphin[/MENTION] is right,about the treats. Once I felt she didn't have to go THAT much (at 10 months-she took longer than the others) I realized she was conning me! Now I know her schedule,but sometimes she will ring the bells just because she is bored. I don't fall for it,unless I know it's about the right time to go! Now they get a treat occasionally after they come up on the porch.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
He may just want to be outside and while he is out there, he pees or marks. [MENTION=6717]dolphin[/MENTION] is right, they are little con artists! If you treat they will know it. Frankie will cry to go out and when I let him out, he circles the deck, and comes right back inside and sits for a treat! I tell him "no way Jose, ya can't trick me"!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I agree they're totally con artists! Let him out to potty but then make him come directly back inside. Ruckus used to try and go outside frequently like that -- I have a bell on the door and he knows to ring it if he needs to potty....sometimes he rings it just because he wants to sun himself.

OP
quackattack

quackattack

Jun 1, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Thanks everyone!

We've never given him treats when going outside and we go inside as soon as he's done his business.

I think I'll try just not giving in for a certain amount of time. I'll start with an hour and work my way up.

Thanks again! :)

Most Reactions