Bullies in the car

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Hey guys! I'm not sure if this was the right place to post this question or not but here goes. Murray and I are in the car quite a bit and when he was smaller I had a crate which he has now outgrown but his home crate is really too big for the car so I got him a special round shaped bed and put that in the passenger seat and for a while he was doing well with it but now he kind of gets restless and sometimes tries to come over and sit on on my lap and he's 33 pounds and while any other time I don't mind but it doesn't seem like a good idea in the car. Would love to know- what do you do with your bully when you're in the car? Looking forward to hearing your responses 😀 CC

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
There are doggie seat belts that you can get so that he will stay in his seat. Some come with harness that can be used outside of the car also.

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
We had a harness which converted into a seat belt for Ruby which she would wear when she was on the front seat now I just let her on the back seat which she prefers anyway she'l lye down and go sleep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
For the same reason as for us humans I advice to get a harness and a seatbelt for the car. Also riding in the back seat may be better than in the front.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
FTSE sits in the back with a harness and a seatbelt for his own safety and ours

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
My plan is far from ideal but if I use a short leash and a carabiner and wrap it around the head rest in the car. It gives them a little room to move around but not be able to get to my seat. If I take 2 dogs I put one in the front and one in the back seat. I really need a car restraint but I haven't gotten one yet. We've been taking a lot of trips to the vet so we've been going out of town and I'm paranoid about having an accident. Maybe I should look at buying one today. Thanks for the reminder thread! :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea will be in her harness and we have a leash that we tied a double loop knot on and we put the seat belt through the loop and secure it. It is long enough to give her free movement of the back seat but not enough to come up front.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
We got a harness and a doggy seat belt clip for ours , If a dog is on your lap and there is a accident the air bag will kill him/her, could also cause you to not to steer out of trouble to avoid a accident , one more thing a dog in a back seat unrestrained comes forward at the speed you are traveling , think about that and what could take place . We have a Cane Corso he is app 101 lbs our bullies are app 65 lbs thats a lot of dog coming forward with only the back of a seat , you or a windshield to stop them . No Offense meant at all but better for all that they are restrained in the back seat .

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree with Julie and Rikka, keeping them in the back of the vehicle is right.

The very best thing is to find a crate that's large enough to fit on the floor in the back of the car/truck. To many bad things can happen if they are in the front seat.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Well Brutus sits like a little gentleman for the whole ride. I trained him this way from a pup. Frankie on the other hand was never taught car manners and is a complete beast in the car. He gets a crate in the back of the SUV for his saftey and ours.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We had a harness plus seat belt solution when Castor was little but he learned how to unbuckle the seat belt, so now he is in a car safety crate in the back of the car. It's really important to have the dog safely crated or harnessed as it may otherwise not only get hurt but hurt other creatures in the car if there is an accident; according to a brochure for the Swedish society for road safety, a 30 kilo dog becomes a projectile of 1200 kilos at 50 km/h and 3840 kilos at 90 km/h.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I have a doggy seat belt that attaches to their harnesses. I also got one of those door protectors because Ruckus loves to put his paws up and look out the window but he was rolling the window down and unlocking the door accidentally.

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
image.jpeg

My Murphy has a large basket in the back with his comfy blankets

KatieToth

Julius-K9 Sales Representative
Jun 7, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Noah Jack
We use a car seatbelt that connect to his Julius K9 harness. i think it is just as important to put them in seatbelt as it is for us human.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online