cojd2

Sep 9, 2015
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Hi I need some advice i have a nearly 21 week female English bulldog called Maggie she is walked in the morning by my son on his paper round and let out before i go to work which is for 3 hours by the time i come back she has weed and poohed on the floor I let her out straight away when i get back she is fed at 6 to 6:30 in the morning and 3:30 to 4 in the afternoon she is then walked again by both my sons after she has been fed she goes for a wee and a pooh then and I walk her to the top of the road and back around 9 she will have a wee but that is it. my husband then let her out before he comes bed at 11 sometimes later but nearly every morning she has either weed or poohed or both she barks after the event. what can i do to try and stop this? i have used a crate but she then just did it in there and laid in it. I also have a four year old Dalmatian so i have done the puppy bit before but not had to ace such a problem. she will sometimes climb out of her bed and pee in his. they are not allowed to roam the house when i am not here or at night they have the hall and landing so the accidents are in this area.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winnie was the first dog I've had that would pee and poop in her crate when she was a puppy. It's very difficult when they do that, because it takes away the crate as a training tool. Two things I did: I removed all of the bedding in her crate so there was nothing to soak up the mess. And I started feeding her in her crate because dogs usually don't like to pee or poop where they eat. She still peed on my other dog's bed several times, which I think meant she was trying to claim it--I don't know that for sure, just guessing. Winnie has always slept with us in our bed. I'm a light sleeper, so when she would start to move around in bed, I would get up and take her out. I can't remember how old she was when she quit having to go out during the night. She is fully house trained now at 14 months, but she was the hardest pup I've ever house trained. I would say that she was 7-8 months old before she totally got it! Hang in there, Maggie will get it too! Oh, and welcome to EBN!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
At 5 months she's still learning and really still can't hold it as long as an adult dog. How long are you gone from the time you go to work and come back? She might need an additional potty break -- if that's not possible maybe you could use the training pads until she's just a little older?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Many people expect so much-so soon from a puppy. It's true to me that EBD's sometimes take a little longer to get it than other breeds. I always take my pups out alone,
until they "go", and then I let the other dogs out. At 5 months, I would still take them out once during the night. Every pup is different, and some take longer than others.
Just think how long it takes to potty train a human baby! Pups need patience,too. In your post, it looks like you go to work for 3 hours......or am I reading it wrong?
Perhaps you could give her breakfast a little later,and as mentioned take blankets out of the crate, and perhaps crate her when no one is home to walk her. The
most important thing is patience and persistance. We have all been there-don't give up, she will figure it out. My youngest one had a puppy pad down until 10 months!(too busy playing to take time to go out sometimes!) [MENTION=14778]cojd2[/MENTION]

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
The potty problem is the worst. I had thought I should put a pad or blanket in with Henry when he slept. Big mistake! He peed on it every night. I finally took it out. Now, if he doesn't get let out when he thinks he should, he pees on a rug. This happened this week. He's 1 1/2. Take all rugs and blankets away if you can til she's better with accidents is my advice. It was my fault he had an accident. I was not well on Monday and didn't put everyone up. It was too long for him to hold it and I found a spot on the rug. Macon went on a towel in the bathroom the same day. Henry never had a problem peeing or pooping in the crate. It was against everything everyone said to try. It didn't matter that he ate in there, when he had to go, he went. (Famous quote-Forest Gump, LOL) Clyde was the opposite, he didn't like to lay in pee. He would howl in the middle of the night and I would jump up and get him out. He was so much easier to train than Henry.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
At 5 mths old she can not last the whole night without having to go out.... our Frenchie took a full 2 yrs to get on the program. It seems you have a good day time schedule, but you have to set one for night too

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.